Article: Paint Valley 21 Wellston 00

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Article: Paint Valley 21 Wellston 00

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Using online rosters, so blame any mistakes on them
(More schools need to pass out rosters of both teams, as it is so much easier to follow the players in the game)

Yesterday I made my first ever drive to Wellston to take in a football game.
Everything was going smoothly on my drive, until I reached the point on Route 93, where the road was closed.
There were no detour signs saying where to go, so I had to drive around until I found a back road that literally, was a gravel road that took me through the wood, where I seen three deer's and what appeared to be two bears a good ways away from me.

After finally arriving at the game, it was a pleasant surprise to see tickets were only five bucks, although there was a 2 dollar charge for parking. Overall I liked the set up of the stadium, although it was odd to see the home side bleachers set so low to the ground.

Now to the game, that lasted until midnight or close to it because of all of the lighting delays.
With 6:36 left in the first quarter the Bearcats faced a third and long, where they went to the air to pick up 18-yards, when Bryce Newland connected with Colton Skaggs, for a big 18 yard strike. Skaggs was wide opened making the completion very easy.
The Golden Rockets defense, led by Garrett Patton and #8(NOT ON THE ROSTER) got to Macky Mcdonald for a three yard loss, with 5:55 left in the quarter.Newland would respond by hitting Cruz McFadden, for a 20 yard gain. Early in this one you could see that Wellston was going to have problems defending the pass, as their secondary looked lost and confused. The Bearcats would miss a 34 yard field goal, when Jackson Williams kick was well short.

Wellston would go for it on fourth and one, with 1:44 left in the clock, with the result being a four yard gain by Nick Davis.
The quarter ended with this one scoreless only because of the missed field goal.

Brayden Ison picked up 18 yards for the Bearcats thirty four seconds into the second quarter. This was a combination of good field vision and dominating work from the smaller Bearcats defensive line. Skaggs would haul in another Newland pass, with the result being a 28 yard gain, at the 11:00 mark of the quarter.Then, with a little under ten minutes left in the half, #36 Mettler took the ball down to the Golden Rockets one yard line. From there #7 Caden Grubb pounded it in for the score. The point after kick made this a 7-0 Bearcats lead.

The Bearcats had another chance to score,at the :41 second mark of the 2nd quarter, but another field goal, this one a 34 yarder fell way short. Williams was hitting from 40 yards during warm ups, so it seemed like the Junior kicker was just having a bad game.

Unofficially Paint Valley held the home team to 50 yards, on 23 plays. The Bearcats had a total of 178 yards. on 34 plays. As coach Hollon said this score should have been a lot worse, but his team hurt itself time and time again on offense.

Malique Davis had a 24 yard catch at the 9:02 mark of the quarter , that help set up a 1 yard score from plunge from Newland. A two point conversion was successful off of a run by Williams, making this a 15-0 game, with 8:23 left in the third.

The final big play of the third quarter was another 24 yard catch by Davis, who by the way wears #24.
Even though the Bearcats led by just 15, this was a total domination by them, during the half. Unofficially Paint Valley held the home team to 50 yards, on 23 plays. The Bearcats had a total of 178 yards. on 34 plays. As coach Hollon said this score should have been a lot worse, but his team hurt itself time and time again on offense.

The fourth quarter would go by in a flash, with the Bearcats getting one final touchdown, to make the final score 21-0.
Wellston would get a 24 yard catch from Garrett Patton on a nice pass thrown from Rj Kemp. Kemp only connected on 2-9 passes. The Golden Rockets offense was basically run straight ahead almost all game long and the Bearcats, for the most part had little trouble stopping it.
Kemp would be tackled by Mettler with 10:45 left in the game, with the result being a very short gain.Wellston would go for it on fourth and four, with Kemp being forced to throw the ball away, as he was rushed hard by #21 LJ Byrd/

Newland found McDonald for a 19 yard gain, with 5:18 left in the game.
#11(NOT ON EITHER ROSTER) for the Bearcats ended the scoring with a 1 yard run, with 4:00 left in the contest.
The Bearcats got a nice pay from Byrd, who stopped Jonathon Garvin for a 2 yard loss, with 3:38 showing on the clock.
The final big play from the Bearcats defense came when,Brayden Ison got Kemp for a 4 yard loss.

Very unofficial stats
Paint Valley
60 Plays
327 Yards
Passing 13-17

Wellston
43 plays
97 Yards
Passing 2-9

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Article: Paint Valley 21 Wellston 00