Fairland applying to the SEOAL??????

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Fairland applying to the SEOAL??????

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Proctorville is rapidly growing into an affluent suburb of Huntington so this move wouldn't surprise me. Fairland's enrollment will probably be as large as Gallia and Jackson's in the next 3 to 5 years. However, this move could create more travel concerns for the northern SEOAL schools like Logan and Warren unless there is a plan for further expansion and split divisions. At this point, I would assume the SEOAL will take what they can get. Gallia, Portsmouth, and Jackson would probably welcome Fairland with open arms. The OVC on the other hand would be the biggest losers if this move does happen. It would leave the league with only 4 members.

Thoughts.............

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Fairland applying to the SEOAL??????

Post by pfloyd »

noreply66 wrote:It could be a start to another SEOAL Division
... you may be onto something noreply ... IF Fairland gets the nod, I look for the potential for more "Purple & WHite" to be invited to take up residence in the SEOAL mix as well in the Purple/White Chesapeake Panthers ... Chesapeake/Fairland to be a part of a "River Division" of the SEOAL along with Gallia/Portsmouth ... Logan/Jacskson/Warren/??????? (Athens on the return/Marietta on the return) ... we'll have to sit back and see what is on the minds of the powers that be ... it will be interesting no matter where the "spinner" stops ...

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

if Chesapeake would be added. what a basketball conference that would create, Im sure the travel possibilities would be great for the Portsmouth crew as well

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Why in the Sam heck would Athens go backbto the SEOAL????
lol...You guys kill me!!

bird78
Varsity

Post by bird78 »

LOL....your right....and WHO WOULD WANT THEM..... :shock: :!: :idea:

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Well perhaps it is the start of an Ohio River Division and an Upland Division. With Portsmouth, Ironton, Fairland and Gallipolis in the River Division, and Jackson, Warren, Logan and ??? in the Upland Division.

One can only hope as I am a long-time SEOAL fan and supporter.

I have heard Ironton has had some problems getting 10 regular season games in some years, and their program defines what SEOAL football has histrically been about. I know the SEOAL is "down" right now, but it is always darkest before the dawn and perhaps, just perhaps Fairland is what we need to jump start the league again. If so I say welcome aboard Fairland.
Last edited by doubleplay643 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The SEOAL will rise again

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Will never happen. Lawrence county schools are going broke, why would Fairland and Chesapeake change divisions and have to travel that much more. As of 2014 they are in an all Lawrence County conference with MOST of their non conf schedule being close.

Also, why would Peake and Fairland go to a conference that they may never win anyway, at least in the OVC they have a shot, and for you people who will say tougher competition will be better for playoffs, you have to win games to make playoffs.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

The SOC and OVC combining into one conference makes more sense. They already play each other in many sports anyway.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Why would the SEOAL want to spread out more like that? That almost destroyed the SEOAL a few years ago.

tiger4ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger4ever »

Very good move for Fairland , if it happens . :!:

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Does anyone know who Fairlands new head coach is?

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Fairland wins 1 football and/or basketball ovc championship per DECADE and they want to go to a bigger conference? That seems very smart. Chuckle chuckle.

footballfan
JV Team

Post by footballfan »

goUK wrote:Fairland wins 1 football and/or basketball ovc championship per DECADE and they want to go to a bigger conference? That seems very smart. Chuckle chuckle.
When you look at past results this looks like a Very crazy idea, however the area is on the upswing.....they are growing. Look 5-10 years down the road....where will Fairland be? People in this part of the state refuse to believe in the change that is coming....Fairland will be HUGE in 10 years.....bank on it. The OVC is on the skids without some type of merger with the SOC.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

There aren't many big schools in southeastern Ohio which is basically the reason for the SEOAL historically being so spread out. Travel is down somewhat after all the departures, but a trip from Fairland, Ironton, or Portsmouth to Logan and Warren is still going to be long no matter how you spin it. I'm not sure if this move will happen, but it seems to me like Fairland is just looking toward the future for their athletic programs. Thanks in large part to the jobs across the river, Proctorville is one of the very few towns in southeastern Ohio that is actually experiencing some growth. I can't see this working out though unless the league expands further.

I'd be in favor of an 8 team conference with 4 schools in the north and 4 schools along the river.

SEOAL
Logan
Warren
Jackson
?????? (Athens is the logical choice, but I doubt they would be willing to join a league with schools their size)

Gallia Academy
Fairland
Portsmouth
Ironton

The SOC could grab the remaining OVC schools and form two 10 team conferences.

SOC 2
Waverly
Wheelersburg
West
Minford
Valley

Oak Hill
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
South Point
Coal Grove

SOC 1
Northwest
Notre Dame
East
Green
Symmes Valley

South Webster
Eastern
Western
Clay
Glenwood

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Daniel Larusso wrote:There aren't many big schools in southeastern Ohio which is basically the reason for the SEOAL historically being so spread out. Travel is down somewhat after all the departures, but a trip from Fairland, Ironton, or Portsmouth to Logan and Warren is still going to be long no matter how you spin it. I'm not sure if this move will happen, but it seems to me like Fairland is just looking toward the future for their athletic programs. Thanks in large part to the jobs across the river, Proctorville is one of the very few towns in southeastern Ohio that is actually experiencing some growth. I can't see this working out though unless the league expands further.

I'd be in favor of an 8 team conference with 4 schools in the north and 4 schools along the river.

SEOAL
Logan
Warren
Jackson
?????? (Athens is the logical choice, but I doubt they would be willing to join a league with schools their size) or Maybe a consolidated N-Y and Trimble

Gallia Academy
Fairland
Portsmouth
Ironton

The SOC could grab the remaining OVC schools and form two 10 team conferences.

SOC 2
Waverly
Wheelersburg
West
Minford
Valley

Oak Hill
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
South Point
Coal Grove

SOC 1
Northwest
Notre Dame
East
Green
Symmes Valley

South Webster
Eastern
Western
Clay
Glenwood

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Fairland won't be huge in 10 years, yes, they will continue to get big earners running from taxes from west Virginia, but that has not and will not equate to athletic success. Fairland would win maybe one game in the current SEOAL.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Wow, and I thought that Gallia Academy may be contemplating a move to the OVC. Not the other way around. Since they have Fairland and Rock Hill on the football schedule this fall!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

High school conferences are compacting in geography, not expanding in geography. This move would go against the entire business model of high school sports.

Remember, many of the schools that left the SEOAL joined leagues with neighboring rivals. Also remember that many of the schools currently in the SEOAL are only there because other schools with neighboring rivals wouldn't take them. In the SEOAL, its kind of like, "We are here because we have no where else to go." Warren and Jackson would both be in the TVC today if they had the votes. Those schools know what the business model looks like for high school sports. Athens knew what the business model was for high school sports. So did Chillicothe. Even outside our region, we just saw the reformation of the Licking County League, which creates a nice, tight compact group of schools within a short drive of each other.

I don't understand why Fairland would be interested in those long road trips for their athletes and playing larger schools they have no history with and dramatically increasing their travel expenses. Likewise, I don't understand why SEOAL schools would want Fairland, knowing that those Friday night football games in Logan, Warren, etc. when playing Fairland will see very few visitors in the stands. Can't make money for your athletic program if you aren't filling your stands.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Oh That Moonshine!

THE SEOAL
Chillicothe - 548 - DII
Logan - 515 - DII
Jackson - 388 - DIII
Gallia Academy - 307 - DIII
Warren - 306 - DIII
Portsmouth - 199 - DVI

TVC-OHIO
Vinton County - 345 - DIII
Athens - 297 - DIII
Meigs - 209 - DV
Wellston - 206 - DV
Alexander - 193 - DV
Nelsonville-York - 150 - DVI
*River Valley - 221 - DIV

Teams There Own Size...huh? Athens isn't even the biggest school in their League. Looks like if we went by the Numbers, Vinton County would be the team people would be demanding leave the TVC. The TVC-OHIO is in great shape, each team has their strength in sports and their weaknesses...I see Jackson or Gallia in the TVC in the next 5 years which would make the League even better...

Return to “Football”