Week 5: Jackson (2-2) vs Wheelersburg (4-0)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Week 5: Jackson (2-2) vs Wheelersburg (4-0)

Post by Ironman92 »

Third straight tough game for the Ironmen...this one being at home should help a little.

Coach Hall and staff must get Jackson ready. They young team has had 2 straight lop-sided contests and need a good game to propel them into what could be yet another SEOAL Championship.

I guarantee a regional finalist team will be on the field.

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Week 5: Jackson (2-2) vs Wheelersburg (4-0)

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson has lost to two very good football teams. Like many people have said, West Jeff and Athens may not lose another game this season until the playoffs. The problem isn't that Jackson has lost those games, it's the way they have lost that is troubling. After two easy wins to start the season, the Ironmen have not responded well to adversity at all the last couple weeks. At West Jeff, they got behind early and never recovered. The same thing happened at Athens, but they compounded it with mental mistakes, blown coverages, and putting the football on the ground when they had a chance to stay in the game in the first half. You can't beat good teams when you make mistakes like that.

I don't know if Wheelersburg is as good defensively as West Jeff or Athens, but I can guarantee you that they're at least comparable on the offensive side of the ball. They'll be doing the same things offensively that Jackson has struggled against the last two weeks, so the Ironmen must find a way to play better defensively. I do think Jackson can run the ball and control the clock this week, but the O-Line needs to step up and, of course, the backs need to take care of the football.

Despite being young, Jackson had pretty high expectations for this season. Things haven't gone as planned obviously, but there is still plenty to play for these last six weeks. This team is capable of playing much better than they have played the last two weeks, but they can't get down on themselves. If they keep working hard, they'll get better, and they'll be playing their best football of the season by the end of the year. The Pirates embarrassed the Ironmen in Wheelersburg last season. It's up to our guys to defend their home turf and make sure that doesn't happen again.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Burg by 10

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The Pirates offense is very good and can score very quickly. I haven't seen anyone that can stop it yet. Jackson will have to score a lot to beat the Burg and the Pirates defense has gotten better each week. I think the Burg wins by 2 to 3 scores.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

I think this game will be 3 or 4 scores in favor of Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg's offense is very good. Now on the other hand their defense is questionable at best. Their defense is almost a good thing because Fairland would score so quickly, it just gave the ball back to the offense. If they can get two stops in each half they should win most games. I think their offense is that good. Good luck to both squads come Friday.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

i think fairlands rb #32 is the most explosive, football smart football player that i have seen this yr. that kid is good. couldnt believe the athletes on fairlands team not the fairland of old. #45,QB and #10 very good athletes also. Does jackson have speed? big line?? are they a run team or pass?

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

eddie wrote: Does jackson have speed? big line?? are they a run team or pass?
Jackson has a run-oriented offense, but they try to throw enough to keep defenses honest. The Ironmen have pretty good team speed, but they're not nearly as big up front as usual. There are only a couple seniors that start...the rest are juniors, sophomores, and you might even see a freshman or two.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

[quote="ironman02"]Jackson has lost to two very good football teams. Like many people have said, West Jeff and Athens may not lose another game this season until the playoffs. The problem isn't that Jackson has lost those games, it's the way they have lost that is troubling. After two easy wins to start the season, the Ironmen have not responded well to adversity at all the last couple weeks. At West Jeff, they got behind early and never recovered. The same thing happened at Athens, but they compounded it with mental mistakes, blown coverages, and putting the football on the ground when they had a chance to stay in the game in the first half. You can't beat good teams when you make mistakes like that.

I don't know if Wheelersburg is as good defensively as West Jeff or Athens, but I can guarantee you that they're at least comparable on the offensive side of the ball. They'll be doing the same things offensively that Jackson has struggled against the last two weeks, so the Ironmen must find a way to play better defensively. I do think Jackson can run the ball and control the clock this week, but the O-Line needs to step up and, of course, the backs need to take care of the football.

Despite being young, Jackson had pretty high expectations for this season. Things haven't gone as planned obviously, but there is still plenty to play for these last six weeks. This team is capable of playing much better than they have played the last two weeks, but they can't get down on themselves. If they keep working hard, they'll get better, and they'll be playing their best football of the season by the end of the year. The Pirates embarrassed the Ironmen in Wheelersburg last season. It's up to our guys to defend their home turf and make sure that doesn't happen again.[/quote]

Burg will look to score a 100 on Hall and Ironman Friday and its not about game plans or schemes its about playing hard as a team. Yes this team is young but effort has no age players have to go all out the entire play doing their job. Hall has to hold players accountable for this and playing time is where it has to be shades of last years team half effort on field and no accountability for it. He's got 4 days to figure it out or another points record may get set at alumni stadium Friday.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

iman24 wrote:
ironman02 wrote:Jackson has lost to two very good football teams. Like many people have said, West Jeff and Athens may not lose another game this season until the playoffs. The problem isn't that Jackson has lost those games, it's the way they have lost that is troubling. After two easy wins to start the season, the Ironmen have not responded well to adversity at all the last couple weeks. At West Jeff, they got behind early and never recovered. The same thing happened at Athens, but they compounded it with mental mistakes, blown coverages, and putting the football on the ground when they had a chance to stay in the game in the first half. You can't beat good teams when you make mistakes like that.

Despite being young, Jackson had pretty high expectations for this season. Things haven't gone as planned obviously, but there is still plenty to play for these last six weeks. This team is capable of playing much better than they have played the last two weeks, but they can't get down on themselves. If they keep working hard, they'll get better, and they'll be playing their best football of the season by the end of the year. The Pirates embarrassed the Ironmen in Wheelersburg last season. It's up to our guys to defend their home turf and make sure that doesn't happen again.
Burg will look to score a 100 on Hall and Ironman Friday and its not about game plans or schemes its about playing hard as a team. Yes this team is young but effort has no age players have to go all out the entire play doing their job. Hall has to hold players accountable for this and playing time is where it has to be shades of last years team half effort on field and no accountability for it. He's got 4 days to figure it out or another points record may get set at alumni stadium Friday.
I don't think it will be a blowout, and Im sure we wont score 100! LOL. The Halls will look to defend the house against their alma maters! But Burg will put some points on the board if the OC doesn't get fancy. Do what the team does best. Quick hitters and move the defense around. Get them doubting on what is coming next. I look for Jackson to make it a game! They have nothing to lose! Burg D is getting a lot better. Tackling needs to catch up. High hits aren't working coaches!!!! Wrap the legs, down they go. I like the Ironmen program and wish it all the best, except for this game!

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

I look for Burg to take this game. Jackson hasn't shown any improvement on covering the spread. On offense, the same old players getting the ball, it is very easy for the defense to pick up on. I hate to seem like I'm downing the coaches, but something needs to change on offense/defense. Start pulling players out and put other players in, there just might be an improvement to the team on both sides of the ball.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

I will admit that I am not that familiar with all the personnel on the field as I watch more 5th-8th grade games than anything else these days, but, I will ask some questions and maybe give my observations, and these are in no way whatsoever meant to be disrespectful to any player or coach. That is not the intent, but we need to mix it up a bit.

If we are a run oriented program (and we are), then why not move Williams kid down to guard from tight end. We threw to him once on a seam pattern as I recall at Athens. My guess is we had 70-80 offensive plays and would you rather have him at tight end for 1 out of 70 plays or at guard for 50/70 running plays? He is being recruited as a defensive player so it is not like giving up 1 passing attempt a game is going to hurt his chances. With his talent and work ethic he will have 20 D1 choices when the time comes.

If we are a run oriented program (and we are), then our hardest hitting lead blocker must be just that. Someone that punishes people. A low center of gravity, pads down, punishing runner/blocker. The kid that lines up the opposing teams tackler and takes him out. Whoever has that mentality must be in that spot. Rafferty, Sexton and Griffith need to follow whoever wants to do that job.

To defend the spread we must have penetration on the defensive line which we actually usually do, and pressure from the edge, their backfield must be disrupted. The read/option must be hurried or disrupted, and Burg QB can't have much time to read routes. LB's must be disciplined and not over commit to the read/option and must contain Miller. Jackson has a couple hard-hitting kids that are so quick to a read that it sometimes leads them to being out of position.

Defensively going to have to take some chances and send pressure and play lights out. Someone needs to lay the wood on somebody and set the tone Friday night. Who will it be and 11 kids need to be out there that refuse to lose no matter if they are freshman or seniors and whether they weigh 150lbs or 350lbs. Let's go Ironmen have a great week of practice.

This group of Jackson kids are not used to losing, have not lost up until now maybe 2-3 games since they started playing in 3rd grade so the will to win when things aren't going your way needs to be understood and everyone must realize you have to compete and grind when it aint' going your way. Get your heads up and get fired up. You are playing the same team last year that was calling you *&ssies last year as they walked off the field laughing into their locker room after the game.

That's just my opinion, that and a buck get you a coffee Friday night.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I see the Burg taking this one by at least 21. They are the real deal and should have a deep playoff run.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I gotta lot of friends on both sides of this game. but if I was a bettin man, i'd place my bet on the pirates they are rolling.
good luck to both squads.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

Jackson didn't compete Friday Hall team quit on him last year at wheelersburg and Friday night could be the same. Hall needs to find 11 kids that will play all till play is over and if he doesn't those kids will quit on him to just like last year.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

From out side looking. Freshman fullback ran harder than any starting back the line is undersized could use the potter kid who is really a sophomore as guard or center. Williams need stood up at linebacker it's harder for teams to get to him at backer. Plan and simple Jackson need to find 11 football players that will sell out every play and these kid have done it for other coachs from peewee and jr high.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I am going to have to disagree with everyone that's saying burgs D is getting better. I thought week 1 was the D best game. I thought week 4 was the worst game they have played. The D just does not tackle very well. They get there but they miss way to many tackles, have a lot of trouble One on one in open field. Offense is the real deal, defense scares me. #2 had a great tackle out wide on a wr, drove blocker back into receiver and made the tackle, well done.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Imo the mighty Ironmen suffer their third strait loss. Which just gives them motivation going to league play. They don't duck anyone in non league play and everyone they lost to will get some good secondary points once they get to league play.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

[quote="vctransplant"]Imo the mighty Ironmen suffer their third strait loss. Which just gives them motivation going to league play. They don't duck anyone in non league play and everyone they lost to will get some good secondary points once they get to league play.[/quote]

League teams are improving Jackson is not this week burg will humiliate Jackson's program at our place like they did last year at there place. Jackson just going thru the motions and it is showing 91 to 6 last two weeks.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

No one likes to lose in the manner we have in the last 2 weeks, but let's not self destruct this team is very talented and I am certain they feel more pressure from coaches, fans and everyone to do better. Everyone posting has probably been on the wrong end of one of those scores and is not easy to be out there with 3,000 people watching it and commenting on it.

Get outside the box and put some changes into place if what you are doing isn't working.

Everyone on the Jackson side certainly agrees we want to control the ball and march down the fields with first downs. How do you do that, who is best where to do that, and then implement it. Burg will put 8-9 in the box so if that is game plan then we need to be stronger and more physical than those 8-9. Coaches take step back, watch film with kids, make some adjustments, and then build these kids back up. No reason defensively why we can't slow them down and stay in this ball game if we can move the ball on the ground and mix in some passes.

Let's go Ironmen.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think Jackson has a good team. This will be the year they take sum lumps but lookout next year!

Return to “Football”