Week 8: Portsmouth (2-5) at Jackson (3-4)

doubleplay643
S

Week 8: Portsmouth (2-5) at Jackson (3-4)

Post by doubleplay643 »

Lots of questions to be answered for each team.

Jackson's Homecoming Game. Can they find a way to stop a Portsmouth offense that hung 40+ points on Gallia? Can Portsmouth get their first win in SEOAL play?

Which team can find something to play for and swing momentum to their side this coming Friday night and for the rest of the season.

local superstar
All State

Re: Week 8: Portsmouth (2-5) at Jackson (3-4)

Post by local superstar »

Portsmouth gets the win. Go Trojans

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Trojans will win this game!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Can't afford another loss here.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Don't know if Portsmouth could handle the Jackson D

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I'm not really sure what to expect in this game. I don't believe that comparing scores is a very good method of predicting the outcome of games, so I'm not even getting into the common opponent stuff. It seems like Portsmouth has some good athletes and can throw the ball pretty well, so that might mean trouble for Jackson's defense. The Ironmen have been pretty good against the run, but the pass D has been just the opposite. On the other hand, though, Portsmouth has given up a lot of yardage on the ground and Jackson is going to run the football. Should be interesting to see what wins out...big plays in the passing game or a grind it out, control the clock approach.

Jackson lost a heartbreaker against Logan in a game where they seemed to be in control until the 4thQ. They let a couple receivers behind them, muffed a punt, and let some bad kick coverage cost them the game. However, they also did a lot of positive things. They ran the ball well against a pretty decent defense, they put together a clutch drive with their backs against the wall late in the game, and they matched up physically with a Logan team that has pretty good size and experience in the trenches.

I think all the struggles for Jackson really go back to their youth and inexperience. You see glimpses of the talent that this team has, been then they make a costly mistake that reflects their youth. You just have to use those mistakes as learning experiences and try to correct them for the future. I'm sure the Jackson kids feel very disappointed that they're sitting at 3-4 right now, but they still have an SEOAL championship to play for these last few weeks. There's a very good chance that the league title will be on the line in Week 10 at Alumni Stadium, but for that to happen, they MUST beat Portsmouth. It's do or die time, so the Ironmen need to have a good week of preparation and get ready for the first of three straight home games up on the hill to end this season.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

noreply66 wrote:Don't know if Portsmouth could handle the Jackson D
Portsmouth has moved the ball on better defenses already than what they'll see from Jackson. I think a bigger question will be, can Portsmouth's defense get enough stops? I'd love for Portsmouth to win this game as they continue working to turn their program around, but I just can't help but think Jackson might be better at this point in time.

Best of luck to both teams, but I'm pulling for Portsmouth. 8)

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

I believe the rest of the season looks pretty rough for Jackson

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

firecracker wrote:I believe the rest of the season looks pretty rough for Jackson
How so?

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

On paper this is a tough match-up for both teams, each defense trying to defend the other's strength.

Jackson has struggled with the pass all year, both quick passes to the edge and anything downfield, so not sure how you effectively coach up changes in that but we need to do something or Portsmouth will be successful. The Trojans hanging 40+ on Gallia concerns me a little, but Logan seemed to hold them to few points, not sure which Trojan team shows up or if they had some injuries in the Logan game or players out.

Ironmen need to be ready to play, Go Red.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

I still stand by my preseason prediction that Jackson will wind up at best 6 and 4 and I still say an SEOAL title or share thereof is possible. This friday will be a scorefest IMO. If the Ironmen dont turn it over or get dumb penalties they can very well win this game. They should have three times the possession time when the game ends. I think the seoal is down but I don't see any clear front runners at this point so I think the league is still wide open.
Lets go RED, play as a team, play smart and dont stop till you hear the whistle!!! :aaaaa26

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Having seen each team the last few weeks, I feel this would be a fun game to watch as a neutral.

Jackson should score in bunches against PHS. Their running game was well oiled in Logan last week. Big strong backs that are hard to bring down and the offensive line stepped against a decent Logan defensive line. Impressive performance. Sexton, Griffiths, and Crabtree are a scary trio, can only imagine that backfield with a healthy Rafferty as well.

With all that said, Portsmouth has to feel good on the offensive side of the ball as well. Oliver is elusive as a runner and can keep plays alive, and the Trojans have a nice group of talented receivers. I'm sure Jackson will challenge the PHS offensive line and try to force Oliver into mistakes.

Johnnie Charles is a really nice player on both side of the ball for Portsmouth. He may have a hard time running against Jackson, but I think he can make an impact on as a receiver and on special teams. He can also disrupt Jackson's offense by getting in the backfield.

Overall, I'd pick Jackson in a high scoring game because a) they're at home, and b) I think they're the more consistent of the two teams. Portsmouth did not play well when they came to Logan. They will need a performance like they had at Ironton to upset the Ironmen.

green&yellow
Waterboy

Post by green&yellow »

GOOD LUCK TO JACKSON! Hope for an injury free game for all and a nice Homecoming game. Also, this game with Portsmouth will be for Breast Cancer Awareness. Hope to see lots of pink in the stands to support this cause! I believe JHS is selling Pink T-Shirts at the High School during the day, for those interested. As always, GO RED!

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Jackson should win this game based on Portsmouth's previous lack of success in stopping anyone from scoring. Portsmouth defense is giving up an average of five scores or 36 points per game. The running game should have a lot of success against their defense. The Ironman should be able to move the ball and play keep away and not let things become a track meet. Just cut down the turn overs and penalties play smash mouth football and they should be ok.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Its either going to be a track meet with lots of points or a Jackson blowout, as far as there not being a clear cut leader in the quest for the title, I feel Logan has moved themselves one step ahead of the rest

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

who dose Jackson start on Defence and who on Offence ? Thanks

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Should be a lot of points scored in this game. Portsmouth can score quick and often. This game should be similar to the Logan/Portsmouth game.If Portsmouth defense can come through as in the Ironton game this game could be a win for the Trojans.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

Portsmouth will be tale gating with Jackson for donations for Breast Cancer Awareness. I already ordered a well done burger from Bigg Dogg. Also the Jackson Alumni Band will be performing with the marching Ironmen. As for the game it could be a toss up, but as always GO RED !!!:aaaaa83 :aaaaa83 :aaaaa83

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whew....escaped with a 25-19 win. Drove down the field and weened the clock to 11seconds as they crossed the goal line on 4th and a yard. Griffiths had 3 TD including the GW.

I think Jackson had 4 or 5 turnovers. Portsmouth's Skye Oliver (grandson of MLB great Al Oliver) really had the Jackson defense running everywhere in the 2nd half. Fun player to watch but fortunately we had a freshman who just kept chasing him everywhere and must've had 15 tackles. Freshman Raymond Potter really stood out. He was everywhere all night. He knew where the ball was going seemingly every play....just an outstanding game.

Potter was awarded the Player of the Game award and was the first freshman to win it since Michael Morgan won it in the fall of 1988.

Two straight weeks now with incredibly clutch final drives down the field...Sexton had some tough runs and made some nice passes...also blocked an XP.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Sounds like a good one. Nice win Jackson.

Return to “Football”