Future of the P.V.C.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Future of the P.V.C.

Post by redskinwitness »

I decided to start this because of the talk on the River v. Trail football topic. A lot of people around town with kids involved in sports at our school have been talking about this. Apparently River is leaving the league after this school year. That leaves the league with six teams in Caldwell, MC, Shenandoah, Fort, Frontier, and Trail. I can't imagine you could go any lower in total teams and be considered a viable league. I've also heard that MC is threatening no sports if their levy doesn't pass in a few weeks. Any truth to that? That would kill the league.

I understand why River is leaving. Heck they had a great basketball team last year and didn't bring much of a crowd. That trip sucks for everyone who has to go there too. What schools if any would want to join. Looking at geography and school size Barnesville would fit but heard they aren't interested. They play most of the league in every sport already. Belpre and Waterford probably wouldn't leave the T.V.C. Newcomerstown isn't going to leave the I.V.C. Morgan and Crooksville probably won't leave the M.V.L. Not sure any E.C.O.L. teams would want to join either. I'm interested to see what happens.

selonmc
Varsity

Re: Future of the P.V.C.

Post by selonmc »

Personally I would love for Meadowbrook to get back in the league but I know that won't happen. Nothing will really change for MC with River leaving. We'll still play them in every sport so it's not like a hole to fill in the schedule. I'm ok with a 6 team PVC

MC will have sports even if they have to be privately funded. Woodsfield has a wonderful boosters program that would reach out to all of the sports. Beallsville, River and MC are all part of one school district so if they eliminate sports at one they would have to eliminate at all 3

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

I agree, all 3 county schools should play each other in all the sports. A 6-team PVC will be okay. I mean, it's not like the kids get a plaque for being all-conference in anything. And who's the commissioner?

I don't believe River needs in any other smaller conference but just the OVAC (which is too large for it's britches).

I recall the days when the PVC was the PVL and Meadowbrook was in it with Beallsville, too. It's just a matter of travel for River and it doesn't make sense to play schools from Guernsey and Noble Counties when a short drive can draw more of a following at Tyler Consolidated, Paden City, Shadyside, Beallsville.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Personally......I would love to see Ft Frye join the TVC. That would make a great Hocking division.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

The original PVC (not the PVL), if I recall was:

Woodsfield
Caldwell
Waterford
Fort Frye
Shenandoah
Meadowbrook
Frontier

The Colts left a long time ago, and H2OFord bailed about what, 10 years ago, to go to the TVC, after getting slaughtered year-in and year-out in football? H20Ford went to the TVC and enjoyed a ton of success, initially in football. Well, that says something about the quality of the TVC at that time. It has gotten much better.

Do I see a founding member of the PVL (Fort Frye) bailing for the TVC? Um, no. It would hurt them in many ways.

If River and BT leave, so be it. The league will survive, and Barnesville would be a nice pick up. I don't ever see Shadyside joining the league, ever. But, stranger things have happened :122246 :lol: :lol: :lol:

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

SD,
Definitely agree on Shadyside NEVER joining a PVC. Barnesville wil only become a bigger school once Beallsville closes it's doors, and possibly more and more athletes from MC transfer to Barnesville to get out of pay-to-pay stuff, who knows. Not a good time to be going to school in Monroe County.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Beallsville was always in the PVC that I can remember. Also the original PVL contained Warren. I don't think it is the Warren Local of today but a smaller version of the school.

I have a copy of the football section of every annual Woodsfield ever produced. I have all those files in storage somewhere. I can't remember the exact year it started but I know it was the 60s. That's what I love about the PVC. Lots of conferences come and go but the PVC is an old league with most of the original members still intact. I couldn't imagine Fall Fridays without Fort Frye, Caldwell, Shenandoah, and Frontier somewhere on the schedule.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

surfsider wrote:SD,
Definitely agree on Shadyside NEVER joining a PVC. Barnesville wil only become a bigger school once Beallsville closes it's doors, and possibly more and more athletes from MC transfer to Barnesville to get out of pay-to-pay stuff, who knows. Not a good time to be going to school in Monroe County.

I don't think Barnesville is getting many athletes. If they are they are it isn't showing on the field. It would be cheaper just to pay the fee than it would be in gas to drive to Barnesville. Unless the whole family relocates, but they probably would move to St. C, Ferry, or some program with more success. Pay to play will probably have an impact but if a family honestly can't afford the fee, but the child wants to play, all they have to do is contact the Sideliners. No kid will be denied the opportunity to play.

There isn't many Beallsville students left to make a significant impact on enrollment in other schools. According to OHSAA enrollment Beallsville has 46 boys. If they all went to Barnesville it would move Barnesville from a middle sized D6 to a middle D5 school. Some would go to Barnesville, but some would go to Shadyside and MC. Those who hold a grudge with MC (and I know there would be a lot) will send them to other schools; but in the end the easier and cheaper route is MC. That's where the bus at the end of the driveway would go. Plus if you want to go vocational you'd have to drive to St. C.

pitch15
Riding the Bench

Post by pitch15 »

Barnsville needs to reconsider not joining the PVC and I think they are still the best option. Union Local is also a school to consider because they are leaving the buckeye 8 because they cant compete. Meadowbrook would also a nice add but they are a bigger school and would hurt them come playoffs but they cant compete in ECol and have got to be tired of getting their butts kicked every year. The Pvc needs to add another team especially with the turmoil in Monroe county schools and not knowing what will happen with MC. a 5 team PVC would be doomed.

Jakefromstatefarm
Varsity

Post by Jakefromstatefarm »

gottalovette wrote:Barnsville needs to reconsider not joining the PVC and I think they are still the best option. Union Local is also a school to consider because they are leaving the buckeye 8 because they cant compete. Meadowbrook would also a nice add but they are a bigger school and would hurt them come playoffs but they cant compete in ECol and have got to be tired of getting their butts kicked every year. The Pvc needs to add another team especially with the turmoil in Monroe county schools and not knowing what will happen with MC. a 5 team PVC would be doomed.
This I pretty much agree with. I would love to have Barnesville in the PVC. They already play over half the PVC anyway, and while it's over an hour drive for FF, its mostly interstate. Frontier is about an hour away as well. The idea of Union Local I don't mind either, i'm just not sure what kind of gates a game between UL and any PVC team would draw. And as you mentioned, Meadowbrooke is too large of a school to consider joining the PVC, and while in years past the haven't been all that great, I think they're improving with Wells at the helm.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I'm worried about Trail leaving for ECOL. Also if Fort going to TVC could get get them in southeastern district for other tourney draws like Belpre and Waterford that be for the best. In Southeast D3 basketball for example they play 1 game at Athens high school in sectionals then they go to districts at OU.I personally think if Warren , Jackson, and Gailia move to TVC and it goes to 3 div they should jump ship. A div of Fort Frye, Nelsonville, Alexander, Fed Hock , Belpre, Wellston, and River Valley would be great.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Also a league with River , Beallsville, Barnesville , Shadyside, Monroe Central, Caldwell, Shenandoah and maybe Bridgeport would be good.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

If the league stays at 6 they should target 3 schools - West Muskingum, Crooksville, and Barnesville...West M and Crooksville are smaller then all the teams in MVL. I think those schools would benefit from getting out of a league with Sheridan, John Glenn and much bigger Tri Valley.. Also Morgan could use a change of scenery and do like Athens did. Go to a smaller league to build your sports back up.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Over the last few yrs Crooksville has had pretty good teams that were playoff quality but the schedule has crushed them?

Bart Kowski
Waterboy

Post by Bart Kowski »

Farmer Yoder wrote:Personally......I would love to see Ft Frye join the TVC. That would make a great Hocking division.
This may be the smartest post you have ever written. Picture this:

Hocking North - Waterford, Fort Frye, Belpre, Trimble, Miller
Hocking South - Southern, Eastern, Federal Hocking, Wahama, South Gallia

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I think that a new league would be a fresh start

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Don't know how happy Waterford would be to be in a league with Cadets again.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

That would probably fit for most sports but Fort would tear up in boys and girls basketball most years in the TVC Hopefully the PVC can add a team or two. I'd personally like to see them add Barnesville and Rosecrans. I doubt it happens. Morgan/Crooksville/West will never leave the MVL even though they can't compete higher than the middle of the pack in virtually anything on the boys or girls side. I have heard that Union Local, Bellaire and Buckeye Local all are leaving the Buckeye 8. There have been rumors of them forming a league with Barnesville, Shadyside, and Bridgeport. Seems far fetched to me but I guess you never know.

Jakefromstatefarm
Varsity

Post by Jakefromstatefarm »

EasternDspy wrote:If the league stays at 6 they should target 3 schools - West Muskingum, Crooksville, and Barnesville...West M and Crooksville are smaller then all the teams in MVL. I think those schools would benefit from getting out of a league with Sheridan, John Glenn and much bigger Tri Valley.. Also Morgan could use a change of scenery and do like Athens did. Go to a smaller league to build your sports back up.
Don't think Crooksville would ever work. It's almost a two hour drive from Woodsfield and Frontier. Frontier would seem to have the most travel issues when you look at trying to add another team. I think the most reasonable option is Barnesville, question is whether or not they would actually want to. You could look to West M as well, though that could cause some issues. Morgan is within reasonable distance of everyone, but they're also 2-3 divisions bigger than basically everyone else in the league.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

These suggested teams will all have the same problem River had - travel. If Buckeye Trail leaves, just dissolve the conference. The PVC teams are already in the OVAC. Dissolve the PVC, and you get to play the same teams in conference play, but with the better oversight, competition, and flexibility of the OVAC.

Return to “Football”