what's next for the warren warriors?

ez_high
Waterboy

what's next for the warren warriors?

Post by ez_high »

Another losing season for the warren warriors.

What is next for the warren football program?

A new coach? Last year, the school board voted 3-2 to keep coach schob for another year. Do you think they will be so generous this year?

It amazes me that Warren never competes in football. They have certainly had the athletes in the past few years to be a lot better. Look at all the other athletic programs and they are consistently winning seoal championships. Soccer, cross country, volleyball, basketball, track....

bigblue allday
Freshman Team

Re: what's next for the warren warriors?

Post by bigblue allday »

whs2422 wrote:Another losing season for the warren warriors.

A new coach? Last year, the school board voted 3-2 to keep coach schob for another year. Do you think they will be so generous this year?

It amazes me that Warren never competes in football. They have certainly had the athletes in the past few years to be a lot better. Look at all the other athletic programs and they are consistently winning seoal championships. Soccer, cross country, volleyball, basketball, track....
Come back to the T.V.C. Warren already plays everybody in peewee football

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

whs2422 wrote:Another losing season for the warren warriors.

I feel your pain and truely believe that the board will do a major house cleaning in the football program after the season is over, also on peoples minds and a topic of coversation at the game last night was would the new coach come from withinor go outside to find someone new.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

What's next? The Logan Chieftains!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

LoganLocos wrote:What's next? The Logan Chieftains!
Haha

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Come back to the TVC. You should never have left in the first place.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Would come back to the TVC and yes we never should have left, if only they would let us in as we tried about 2 years ago but got voted down.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

whs2422 wrote:... What is next for the warren football program? ...
... hoops !!!

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

You need to get more skill athletes out. Soccer and xcountry are taking
some of your athletes.

The AD and principle should address the coaching, the board needs to stay out.
They haven't got it right lately why do they think they could get the coaching
thing right.

northern exposure
Waterboy

Post by northern exposure »

I think we have plenty of good athletes out and playing football - the coaching at the top is in question. Been doing the same thing for 4 years and going down hill. Nothing like forcing your scheme whether it works or not. Need to learn to adjust. The defense they are running will not work with the speed they have overall. Constantly blitzing and leaving gaping holes for the other team to exploit over and over - never adjust. This team has shown some glimpses and of hope only to have it squashed by coaching. This team never gives up! Look at the Parkersburg South game.

The previous coach took a horrid program and turned it around in two years and had a 7-3 record, Current coach took it over and its been downhill ever since. But I will admit, they got what he did at Marietta - losing seasons. IF they hire a new coach let's hope they hire one with a proven track record, - whether its from outside or within - I don't care but get some one that knows how to win.

Andy is a nice guy but nice guys don't necessarily make the best coaches. Most don't - you have to have a backbone and make touch decisions no matter whose kid it is!

ez_high
Waterboy

Post by ez_high »

I don't want to turn this into a TVC vs SEOAL thread (we already have too many people arguing that), but Warren would beat teams from the TVC 9 out of 10 times in volleyball, cross country, and boy/girls soccer. Just saying!

As for Warren football, they have the athletes, they just need to get back to the fundamentals. If you look at the 5/6 grade football players at Warren, they no longer teach the fundamentals of how to block, how to tackle, etc, they are teaching them the same offense/defense that the high school is trying to run. They also need to keep it fun at this age, and get as many kids involved as they can, so they will stick with it through high school.

Warren also needs to return to the traditional two-a-days practice. In the past few years, Warren was just practicing in the evenings over the first week of practice, due to coach's work schedules. That shows me a lack of committment. Do other teams in the SEOAL/TVC/MVL only have evening practices during the first week of practice? I would think not.

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Before I say anything on this I want to say that I appreciate the job Coach Schob does and think he is a good man and am happy to have him at Warren.

That being said if Warren is looking for a coach I would love to see them get someone who came from the Dale Amyx, Bob Lutz, or Gene Layton schools of football. Someone who played in the late 90's for Logan, Ironton, or Jackson and embraces power football and bucks the trend of spread offense and pass happy football and concentrates on blocking, tackling, and winning the special teams game.

I personally loved watching Ironton and Jackson because their success was predictable because they came and executed their offense well and didn't beat themselves. From the lifting programs in the winter to pee wee football it was a philosophy that saturated the program and stressed the idea that the program was bigger than any one player. This was known by kids on the 4th grade teams through seniors.

I sound old and crotchety wishing for a simplistic run first scheme but in all honesty I really feel that an program can continually be good if they create a system that can be ran year to year by the players they have available. Scheming to the skills set of high school kids is a recipe for disaster in most cases unless you can lure the athletes away from rival schools to fulfill your requirements. Given the dearth in football talent in SE Ohio this doesn't seem likely.

If Warren came out Power I, Power T, full house backfield and tried to muscle teams around I wouldn't be disappointed and while some fans would find it boring and would miss the passing game I would be more happy to see a consistent 6-7 wins a season and the occasional 8 than the ups and downs the program has sustained seemingly since its inception.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

SWAMI -

Hiring a Logan graduate worked out pretty well for your basketball program ;)

I know a guy who fits your profile. Played for Amyx, knows the SEOAL, and coaches with a physical discipline based philosophy.

I've always admired Coach Schob. He does a lot of really creative things with his personnel and playing calling. But if Warren decides it wants to make a change, I can think of a few guys who could be what you're looking for.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

swamisez wrote:Before I say anything on this I want to say that I appreciate the job Coach Schob does and think he is a good man and am happy to have him at Warren.

That being said if Warren is looking for a coach I would love to see them get someone who came from the Dale Amyx, Bob Lutz, or Gene Layton schools of football. Someone who played in the late 90's for Logan, Ironton, or Jackson and embraces power football and bucks the trend of spread offense and pass happy football and concentrates on blocking, tackling, and winning the special teams game.

I personally loved watching Ironton and Jackson because their success was predictable because they came and executed their offense well and didn't beat themselves. From the lifting programs in the winter to pee wee football it was a philosophy that saturated the program and stressed the idea that the program was bigger than any one player. This was known by kids on the 4th grade teams through seniors.

I sound old and crotchety wishing for a simplistic run first scheme but in all honesty I really feel that an program can continually be good if they create a system that can be ran year to year by the players they have available. Scheming to the skills set of high school kids is a recipe for disaster in most cases unless you can lure the athletes away from rival schools to fulfill your requirements. Given the dearth in football talent in SE Ohio this doesn't seem likely.

If Warren came out Power I, Power T, full house backfield and tried to muscle teams around I wouldn't be disappointed and while some fans would find it boring and would miss the passing game I would be more happy to see a consistent 6-7 wins a season and the occasional 8 than the ups and downs the program has sustained seemingly since its inception.
Great post!!

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

The Oaf wrote:
swamisez wrote:Before I say anything on this I want to say that I appreciate the job Coach Schob does and think he is a good man and am happy to have him at Warren.

Great post!!
You hit the point One thing That Coach Burke did was adjust to the talent and strong points of Logan's personnel. AND DISCIPLINE!

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Well something needs to change and quick, I know several of the boys on the team now and can tell you there are some of them talking of not coming back to the program next season because they are flat tired of the crap going on behind the scenes at the school. I hate to see any program have issues but this has stop because before long I fear there will be not enough boys to field a team, case in point only 5 freshman this year because a lot of them went to soccer or xc or golf believe these kids see what is going on and if they think they are better off they will do something else.

northern exposure
Waterboy

Post by northern exposure »

If what whs2422 says is correct - having the 5&6 grades running the same as high school - that is crazy. They need to be learning basics of blocking And tackling. Keep the plays simple. They need to spend a lot of time on those and when they get to his they will know how to do those things and you can then concentrate on learning more sophisticated plays. That's why I feel they new to take a new direction in the coaching.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

whs2422 wrote:I don't want to turn this into a TVC vs SEOAL thread (we already have too many people arguing that), but Warren would beat teams from the TVC 9 out of 10 times in volleyball, cross country, and boy/girls soccer. Just saying!

As for Warren football, they have the athletes, they just need to get back to the fundamentals. If you look at the 5/6 grade football players at Warren, they no longer teach the fundamentals of how to block, how to tackle, etc, they are teaching them the same offense/defense that the high school is trying to run. They also need to keep it fun at this age, and get as many kids involved as they can, so they will stick with it through high school.

Warren also needs to return to the traditional two-a-days practice. In the past few years, Warren was just practicing in the evenings over the first week of practice, due to coach's work schedules. That shows me a lack of committment. Do other teams in the SEOAL/TVC/MVL only have evening practices during the first week of practice? I would think not.

TVC OHIO Volleyball is pretty strong and Alexander is only a couple years removed from a State Championship. Alexander, Athens and Nelsonville-York are pretty strong in volleyball, and each have district championships within the past few years. TVC does not sponsor soccer as a team sport, but with Alexander, Athens and Belpre fielding teams, would a 4th team of Warren be enough to field the sport as a conference sport or do you need more than 4 teams?

I would see Warren being very competitive in basketball in the TVC, challenging Vinton County yearly. Athens has had decent basketball in the past few years as well.

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

"challenging Vinton County yearly"

How about VC challenging Warren yearly. Warren did just go to the state semis.
Also Warren just went to the regional finals in soccer losing to Watterson I think.
The Warriors would fair EXTREMELY well in all sports in the TVC.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

ToeStubber01 wrote:If what whs2422 says is correct - having the 5&6 grades running the same as high school - that is crazy. They need to be learning basics of blocking And tackling. Keep the plays simple. They need to spend a lot of time on those and when they get to his they will know how to do those things and you can then concentrate on learning more sophisticated plays. That's why I feel they new to take a new direction in the coaching.
Warren failed to field their 3/4 team this season due to extremely low turnout. Is there beginning to be an overall lack of interest in football down there or is this just a fluke occurrence?

Return to “Football”