Arno done at Alexander!

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Arno done at Alexander!

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

from the Athens Messenger
Sean Arno put everything he could into the Alexander football program over the last nine seasons.

But instead of leading a weight lifting program this winter, Arno will instead turn his focus to what really matters.

Arno has resigned as the head football coach at Alexander High School. He informed the school of his decision on Tuesday, and broke the news to the players on Wednesday.

Arno said this is the right time to step away from the program.

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Arno done at Alexander!

Post by Dundas »

1-9 is the perfect time for HIM to step away.

Alumnus_Tigress
Waterboy

Post by Alumnus_Tigress »

Well I wonder who it will be. Someone in house or will they go out and get someone else?

LEROY
Freshman Team

Post by LEROY »

For more of the story, the entire article is here:
http://www.athensohiotoday.com/sports/l ... 0409b.html

"Haters gonna hate." The majority of SEOPreps posts here are opinion ("that's what it's all about")---so don't let the facts get in the way.

Good luck and thanks to Coach Arno.

Like most small time programs, based on the input from school board members and parents of players who focus on individual performance rather than team goals, Alexander will get the program it deserves.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Coach Arno has done a great job at a tough place for football. Best of luck to him.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Like most small time programs, based on the input from school board members and parents of players who focus on individual performance rather than team goals, Alexander will get the program it deserves.
I think the last comment does not reflect the direction that the current AD is attempting to take with the programs at Alexander.

I think they will attempt to get a quality coach that will work to move the program in the right direction.

Spartan4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Spartan4Life »

Word on the street is a new coach has already been found. Former Vinton County and Federal Hocking coach Jeff Downs is taking over. Perfect timing for him, also. His oldest boy will be a freshman next year. Good riddance, Arno!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Spartan4Life wrote:Word on the street is a new coach has already been found. Former Vinton County and Federal Hocking coach Jeff Downs is taking over. Perfect timing for him, also. His oldest boy will be a freshman next year. Good riddance, Arno!!
Congrats Coach Downs! His time at VC was short but he managed to produce a playoff team in his second year and had two winning seasons in 3 years total. Ill post more about Jeff later.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

LEROY wrote:For more of the story, the entire article is here:
http://www.athensohiotoday.com/sports/l ... 0409b.html

"Haters gonna hate." The majority of SEOPreps posts here are opinion ("that's what it's all about")---so don't let the facts get in the way.

Good luck and thanks to Coach Arno.

Really nice article for a really classy guy. And you are right Leroy haters will hate. But his Stats speak for themselves. Good luck coach. Hope to see ya on a sideline again soon!

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

BEST!! coach in Alexander history period! nuff' said!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

HSFBFAN wrote:BEST!! coach in Alexander history period! nuff' said!
Based on reacords alone, there is no denying it.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

Best of luck to Coach Arno , hope things get easier for him and his family.
Whoever gets the job will have work to do but he has a nice group of young
players to work with. Go Spartans !!

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Being a high school football coach today is like being a lightning rod. You are constantly in a storm, people expect you, as the coach, to take the brunt of the fury of the storm, protect your players and the program, and show up the next day with a smile on your face, and no bruises or wounds from the prior day's storm. Folks, that takes a toll on any human being. Let's keep in mind that each and every one of these head coaches are people, with feelings, families, and commitments other than high school football.

Coach Arno wasn't perfect, no coach is. Even the best of the best, well, they piss people off. You think of some of the "legendary" Ohio HS coaches, they never pleased everyone all the time. LEROY played for one of those coaches, so he knows. Sean is at a point in his life where those things that he was obviously sacrificing have become too much, and he's made the right decision to spend time with his boys. Hopefully, he will take time away from the game and give his boys more time without the football commitments.

I know there is some animosity towards him from the locals, for whatever reasons. Let it go and let's see what the next guy does. If it is Jeff Downs, great. Maybe after his last stint, he will learn that he needs to coach for an entire season and practice his players hard for the entire season. And before any of you Jeff Downs supporters try to jump down my throat, believe me, I know what I'm talking about. Fed Hock didn't walk into there one and only playoff game and get beat 30-0 for no reason. I'll leave it at that.

Best wishes to Sean Arno and his family.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

RIGHT ON Steely Dan. I have been out of the coaching circle or should I say "circus" for 12 years now. Spent 12 years at the hs level and then 3 years in college football. The average "fan" and I use that term loosely, have no idea what some of these guys go through. I know Sean and he (like all coaches) can rub some people wrong. However, he took a completely laughing stock of a program and took them places they had NEVER been. When people take shots at coaches from behind the computer screen, I think of a saying my old college coach said, "if you try and coach to please all people, you're not doing your job". And you are exactly right on your last comment. Enjoy your time with your sons Sean. You have more than earned it.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

Good coach took to heights never seen before. I looked a lot at the sports history. even though it was before my time, everything I heard Coach Snipes wasn't bad plus was several games above 500. Also believe he had the 2nd highest rating in the area when they only took one.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Swampfox wrote:Good coach took to heights never seen before. I looked a lot at the sports history. even though it was before my time, everything I heard Coach Snipes wasn't bad plus was several games above 500. Also believe he had the 2nd highest rating in the area when they only took one.
Was that Dave Snipes who came to Logan from '79-'81? Not sure where he was before he came to Logan.

Our Coach Snipes went on to be a long time principal in the district and is still living in Logan last I knew.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Arno did a heck of a job at Alexander.

Tough place to coach and win. Have to give him a ton of credit for that.

I know he was a finalist for several open jobs this last off-season, including Logan.

My guess is he might be back on the sidelines in a few years, and someone will probably be glad to have him.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

I think he'll be back in 2014

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Coach Downs will do a great job if he's chosen.

crebman1
Waterboy

Post by crebman1 »

LoganLocos wrote:
Swampfox wrote:Good coach took to heights never seen before. I looked a lot at the sports history. even though it was before my time, everything I heard Coach Snipes wasn't bad plus was several games above 500. Also believe he had the 2nd highest rating in the area when they only took one.
Was that Dave Snipes who came to Logan from '79-'81? Not sure where he was before he came to Logan.

Our Coach Snipes went on to be a long time principal in the district and is still living in Logan last I knew.
Dave Snipes was at Alexander before going to Logan. He had good success at Alexander, not as much at Logan.

Return to “Football”