Waterboy

FAIRLAND FOOTBALL

Post by LITTLE TIGER »

FAIRLAND FOOTBALL COACH MOVING ON,

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: FAIRLAND FOOTBALL

Post by BigBlueNation »

Where did he go. Seemed like he was a good coach.

Gallipolis Blue Devil
Riding the Bench

Post by Gallipolis Blue Devil »

Did he get another job or what? I beleive this was his first year at the school.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

He got a college head coaching job, correct if I am wrong. Maybe in the Carolinas? Will they go to Wilcoxen again?

Gallipolis Blue Devil
Riding the Bench

Thanks for the update. I am not sure who they will go to next. I know one thing the old coach ran into a bunch of talent.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Interesting. Still have a lot of talent there next year.

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

I'd like to see Merrill Triplett apply. My guess is Wilcoxen is most likely the next coach.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

UMP wrote:I'd like to see Merrill Triplett apply. My guess is Wilcoxen is most likely the next coach.
I can't see them bringing wilcoxen back. He was basically ran out, so unless the administration has changed, this would seem puzzling. Maybe penrod from gallia academy will apply, that could be a nice fit. I could definitely see Triplett being interested.

Regardless, hats off to fairland for hiring the last coach. That was the best fairland team I had ever seen. Hopefully they make another decision like this.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Not sure why Wilcoxen wouldn't be considered since he is still there as an assistant and was the O-Corridinator.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

The 4 years he was there the first time, there seemed to be a lot of problems on the football field. The last year he was there they put a pretty decent team on the field and they may have been a playoff team the next season (I digress). I understand talent dictates wins, but the years we played his teams controllable things (conditioning, tackling, blocking, overall defensive execution) looked unsound.

Maybe this has changed, I know first hand that making mistakes can help breed success, that was just my observation though.

Gallipolis Blue Devil
Riding the Bench

UMP wrote:I'd like to see Merrill Triplett apply. My guess is Wilcoxen is most likely the next coach.
Interesting that you would mentioned him, he would be coming back into Lawrence County and he knows the OVC.

LITTLE TIGER
Waterboy

Post by LITTLE TIGER »

luvbigcats wrote:Where did he go. Seemed like he was a good coach.
HE IS GOING TO N.C. STATE, NOT SURE OF THE POSITION, BUT NOT HEAD COACH,AS FAR AS THE NEXT COACH GOES I WAS TOLD WILCOXEN IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE HEAD COACHING JOB ONLY AS O.C.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Gallipolis Blue Devil wrote:
Interesting that you would mentioned him, he would be coming back into Lawrence County and he knows the OVC.
I am not sure what he is going to be doing. I know there are many Rock Hill fans that would love to have him but time is running out to get a new coach. Also I think the Fairland job would interest him if they could offer up some money.

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

game day wrote:
Gallipolis Blue Devil wrote:
I am not sure what he is going to be doing. I know there are many Rock Hill fans that would love to have him but time is running out to get a new coach. Also I think the Fairland job would interest him if they could offer up some money.
As far as " offering up some money" FHS coaching salaries are set contractually thru the union. I don't believe extra $$ could be given. Maybe a teaching job might come with. As far as Wilcoxen. I think he would take it if offered. I'll just leave it at that without saying things I've heard.

outsider
Freshman Team

Post by outsider »

for a coaching position being open it is very secret. there is nothing on the schools site nor OHSAA

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

UMP wrote:As far as " offering up some money" FHS coaching salaries are set contractually thru the union. I don't believe extra $$ could be given. Maybe a teaching job might come with. As far as Wilcoxen. I think he would take it if offered. I'll just leave it at that without saying things I've heard.
I don't think coaches salaries are set by the union. There is a huge range in the salaries just in our area. Coach McDavid (Green) only makes $4,237 while Coach Hall (Jackson) makes $9,388. You can get a lot of that information on http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/teacher-salary

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

4th n Goal wrote:
UMP wrote:As far as " offering up some money" FHS coaching salaries are set contractually thru the union. I don't believe extra $$ could be given. Maybe a teaching job might come with. As far as Wilcoxen. I think he would take it if offered. I'll just leave it at that without saying things I've heard.
I don't think coaches salaries are set by the union. There is a huge range in the salaries just in our area. Coach McDavid (Green) only makes $4,237 while Coach Hall (Jackson) makes $9,388. You can get a lot of that information on http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/teacher-salary
Yes they are. Each districts contracts are negotiated with their unions. Each coaching position at FHS is a set salary. Wether your a teacher who is coaching or an outsider coaching the pay is the same. I don't think they can just throw money to some one to come coach. The teachers would have a right to throw a fit if it did happen. Talk to your local AD or Superintendent and see if I'm not correct.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Yes, it's true that the salaries are set by the unions and school board negotiation, but there are certain things schools can do to sweeten the pot for incoming coaching. I have seen coaches get stipends for being the strength and conditioning coach, middle school athletic director, assistant athletic director, etc along with being the head football coach. Granted these jobs come with responsibility, but most of these responsiblilties are assumed by the head coach anyway (without pay). Giving extra stipends like the aforementioned ones can be the difference in $5000-$10000 a year you may not make elsewhere. That amount of money is a lot when you are a teacher/coach!

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

ALL saleries and stipends are negotiated by the school board and the teacher's union. It is true that some coaches get a weight lifting stipend or an assistant AD duty to sweeten the pot, but all of those are negotiated items. A superintendent can't just add that to the deal. And in this day of very tight budgets, those "sweeten the deal" things don't happen too much.

Return to “Football”