Minford 2014

shoelace
JV Team

Minford 2014

Post by shoelace »

What does 2014 hold for the Falcons? I know the current Senior class was very good but what do they return? Any chnages to their schedule? Playoff team?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Minford 2014

Post by BigBlueNation »

How many seniors does Minford lose.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

I believe 13, and I know there are schedule changes.

baseball37
Waterboy

Post by baseball37 »

A lot of the SOC teams lose a lot of senior , but I think Minford will still be in the running for the SOC title just like they all ways are , Minford still has talent even tho graduating 13 seniors

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

They need to let the Fitch boy carry the ball more he is a tough runner

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Here's a look at the upcoming schedule:

South Point
at Grandview Heights
Bainbridge Paint Valley
at Scioto Northwest
Oak Hill
Portsmouth West
at Rock Hill
at Wheelersburg
Waverly
at Lucasville Valley

Look for the Falcons to go 9-1, or 8-2 this season.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

mglight88 wrote:Here's a look at the upcoming schedule:

South Point
at Grandview Heights
Bainbridge Paint Valley
at Scioto Northwest
Oak Hill
Portsmouth West
at Rock Hill
at Wheelersburg
Waverly
at Lucasville Valley

Look for the Falcons to go 9-1, or 8-2 this season.
Judging by what I've seen, you all have some good talent coming back. But, when you lose so many starters and key players there will be some growing pains.

Burg and Valley will be hard to beat on the road. Grandview heights is typically a solid team (even though you all whipped them last year) and West should have a competitive team.

However, you all have a stable program and system. So, winning the league wouldn't be out of the question. West, Minford, Valley, and Burg all lost a lot of seniors/key starters, so the Soc will be wide open this year. You never know.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

As far as the schedule, you'd think it would improved from being in the bottom 25% of the whole state of Ohio, but it actually got worse. Portsmouth is replaced with Northwest, and Piketon is replaced with a D-7 school in Paint Valley.

Expect Minford to go 5-0 heading into league play and then finish in the bottom half of the SOCII, again, because the kids will not be mentally prepared to win the big game b/c of the weakness of their non-conference schedule. It's truly embarrassing to be a D4 school and having a D7 team (Paint Valley) and teams like Northwest, and Rock Hill on the schedule. Minford should just join the SOCI with Green, East, ND, maybe then they can compete in their league with the non-conference schedule they have. To get into the playoffs Minford will have to go 9-1, and then get steam rolled in the first round.

Having a team like Northwest make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and to call it for what it is: GUTLESS!! Especially, when you have a team like Jackson that's 20-minutes away that's looking for a game the same week. The crowd at the Northwest game will be just parents and probably less than 200 people show up. At $5 a head that's $1,000 in ticket sales. Scheduling a team like Jackson would bring 4,000 people and be the game of the week in the area. So 4,000 people at $5, that's $20,000 or more in ticket sales.

If the thinking is Northwest is down in the SOCI and they'll win some games and help to get into the playoff, that's also absurd. First, is playing a team like that really going to get your team ready to compete in the SOCII or the playoffs ?

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Well said Vladimir, the Jackson/Minford game will not happen as long as Hall and Daniels are coaching.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Jackson would be good for the falcons to have on the schedule. I'm so glad we got Northwest off our schedule and picked up Newark Catholic.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Ironmen44 wrote:Well said Vladimir, the Jackson/Minford game will not happen as long as Hall and Daniels are coaching.
I always thought this match up made sense for a lot of reasons! Not to start anything, but why wouldn't Hall and Daniels want to schedule it?

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

In light of more info on the 2014 schedule, it has been a long time in the making, and some of these teams that are on there are do to contractual obligations made years ago that will be hard to back out of, so I will retract the "Gutless," remark.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

I would love to see Minford put teams like Jackson, Ironton on the schedule. Chillicothe would also be a good addition to the non-conference slate. Those teams produce wins and have great followings. Gates would be pretty sizable.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Vladimir wrote:As far as the schedule, you'd think it would improved from being in the bottom 25% of the whole state of Ohio, but it actually got worse. Portsmouth is replaced with Northwest, and Piketon is replaced with a D-7 school in Paint Valley.

Expect Minford to go 5-0 heading into league play and then finish in the bottom half of the SOCII, again, because the kids will not be mentally prepared to win the big game b/c of the weakness of their non-conference schedule. It's truly embarrassing to be a D4 school and having a D7 team (Paint Valley) and teams like Northwest, and Rock Hill on the schedule. Minford should just join the SOCI with Green, East, ND, maybe then they can compete in their league with the non-conference schedule they have. To get into the playoffs Minford will have to go 9-1, and then get steam rolled in the first round.

Having a team like Northwest make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and to call it for what it is: GUTLESS!! Especially, when you have a team like Jackson that's 20-minutes away that's looking for a game the same week. The crowd at the Northwest game will be just parents and probably less than 200 people show up. At $5 a head that's $1,000 in ticket sales. Scheduling a team like Jackson would bring 4,000 people and be the game of the week in the area. So 4,000 people at $5, that's $20,000 or more in ticket sales.

If the thinking is Northwest is down in the SOCI and they'll win some games and help to get into the playoff, that's also absurd. First, is playing a team like that really going to get your team ready to compete in the SOCII or the playoffs ?
No offense to Minford, but I feel like that they have a reputation for having a weak non-conference schedule. That must change if they want to grow. Many schools in the area have this problem (I'm not saying West is a superior program, or is doing anything better than Minford).

Scheduling is like the overload principle in training. You have to continually add weight/reps/duration to see gains. If you just maintain or do less you are going to lose strength or conditioning. This is the same way when building a winning team, primed for the playoffs. Minford has a good program set in place, but they need to take the next step and become a great one.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

^ Very true and well said Sider! However, when you have an administration that ties the shoe laces of the coaching staff together and will not let them go out and find those teams, b/c of travel and fuel costs, what can you do? They get pushed into scheduling teams close to home do to budgeting concerns. I still think some of the teams mentioned earlier are area teams and I know Minford has contacted some of them, so we'll see what happens.

I know the coaching staff and many fans want to raise the bar and are ready to take the step for better competition especially when they see their SOCII peers going out and getting these type of games.

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

Minford is now D4. What is the breakdown of the school divisions on their schedule last year? Did they play any teams in a bigger division?

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

dirt_cinders wrote:Minford is now D4. What is the breakdown of the school divisions on their schedule last year? Did they play any teams in a bigger division?
All teams on the Minford schedule in 2013 & 2014 are D5 & D6. Minford also did not expect to be assigned to D4 for said seasons. Minford would have easily made the postseason in D5 in 2013. Even if that were to be true, I believe the 2013 Falcons greatly underachieved, and will continue to do so, until they open up the offensive philosophy and put more value @ the QB position.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan wrote:
dirt_cinders wrote:Minford is now D4. What is the breakdown of the school divisions on their schedule last year? Did they play any teams in a bigger division?
All teams on the Minford schedule in 2013 & 2014 are D5 & D6. Minford also did not expect to be assigned to D4 for said seasons. Minford would have easily made the postseason in D5 in 2013. Even if that were to be true, I believe the 2013 Falcons greatly underachieved, and will continue to do so, until they open up the offensive philosophy and put more value @ the QB position.
Maybe true. But I still say Minford was more talented than West this year. But Minford beat themselves trying to become a passing team instead of running the ball behind two potential D1 tackles.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

not to mention the West team hit on all 4 cylinders and the plan they had for them worked. I have to agree that Minford did not know they were moving to D4 and no one else was. After the contracts are up, I am positive that the AD will adjust the scheduling to make everyone happy.

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

Westfan wrote:
Anonymous_Falcon_Fan wrote:
Maybe true. But I still say Minford was more talented than West this year. But Minford beat themselves trying to become a passing team instead of running the ball behind two potential D1 tackles.

Are you kidding me?? Yes, we had 2 great OT's last year, but that's only two players. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have consistent success running the ball against 9 & 10-man fronts. Must be able to keep defenses off-balanced with passing game (in the pocket). Again, something must change offensively for Minford to get over the hump.

Return to “Football”