Northwest head coaching vacancy

sider
All Conference

Northwest head coaching vacancy

Post by sider »

Northwest has it posted in the daily times.

Wonder who will want a shot? Kind of suprised Frye didnt stay for the first year of soc play.

Who knows, maybe Northwest can build a decent program now they are in Soc 1

The Oaf
SEO

Re: Northwest head coaching vacancy

Post by The Oaf »

I can't get over all the coaching changes around SE Ohio this year. Gonna be a very interesting season to say the least. Can't get here fast enough.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I heard that.
but I still don't agree with northwaet being in that smaller division, they are a bigger school than ironton.
I understand the rural aspects, but I disagree in building a program by eliminating the tougher opponents.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I was told that if they don't compete in soc 1 in the next few years that football will be gone at Northwest.
To me them in soc 1 is ridiculous.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Always excuses at Northwest, parents are to blame there. Why would anyone have their kids attend that school ? Someone please explain.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Northwest and Oak Hill playing in the smaller division is a joke.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Northwest needs to be there. Oak Hill no

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

dreamweaver wrote:Northwest needs to be there. Oak Hill no
Based off of passed successes I would agree. But having the biggest school in the county playing schools with 70 or so boys in the whole school is wrong and totally unfair to the smaller schools.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

If northwest wants to keep football at their school changes need to be made. It has to start at the top though. It doesnt matter what conference they play in they will never succeed until the community wakes up. Vote in a new school board, one that will let a coach and a team succeed. No coach can win when the school board is dictating every decision that they make.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I heard that they are going to post all coaching jobs at Northwest in the paper every year. It doesn't necessarily mean there will be a new coach, but they are just seeing if others would be interested. I was always under the impression that school employees had first opportunity at the supplemental contracts and if there was no interest, the school would look outside. Is this not correct?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I am not sure why the rest of the conference is upset here. The SOC I has had no problems taking care of the Mohawks in the very recent past.

Since 2008, Northwest has played every team in the SOC I at least once. They are 4-13!

2-4 vs East
1-1 vs Green
1-3 vs ND
0-4 vs SV
0-1 vs OH

Every SOC I team has beaten the Mohawks in the last 6 seasons.

Why are the SOC II teams upset? The Mohawks are not exactly the best draw. The gate is not very good. The other SOC II teams are not getting anything by playing them. The last 3 seasons Valley has amassed 69.0576 computer points. The 3 wins over the Mohawks have accounted for 3.60 of those. That is awful.

The Mohawks SOC II record has went like this since 2006 (Since Valley came into the SOC II):

2013 - 0-5 (Outscored 258 to 19)
2012 - 0-5 (Outscored 236 to 25)
2011 - 0-5 (Outscored 229 to 41)
2010 - 1-4 (Outscored 249 to 70)
2009 - 0-5 (Outscored 230 to 36)
2008 - 0-5 (Outscored 209 to 46)
2007 - 0-5 (Outscored 221 to 62)
2006 - 0-5 (Outscored 215 to 35)

In 8 seasons under the current alignment, Northwest is 1-39 in the league and has been outscored 1,847 to 334. That is an average of 46 to 8 per game!!! To put that in perspective, Wheelersburg scored their 334 point last season at some point during their week 7 game with Waverly.

The numbers speak for themselves. I just don't see why anyone would be upset with this move.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

I was told that ALL the coaching jobs were opened up including the AD position. What a crock! If I was Coach Fry I sure as heck wouldnt re-apply for the job. Sounds like a typical political move to get one or two people out of their coaching positions. Why would anyone want to coach at Northwest with all the crap that goes on their?!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Crab I agree. I am glad they are out of the SOC II. For the reasons you mentioned.

But that doesn't change the fact that they are a huge school in comparison to the greens and notre dames of the SOC I. The idea I assume is move them to the smaller division and let them have success. Success at the cost of little schools whom did nothing wrong and have had success the right way.

If northwest wanted out they should have been made to go independent. As I said before West has struggled at basketball prior to the last couple years. How do you think that would have went over to drop to SOC I just because we were losing?

My opinion. Northwest has talent coming up. If they leave Frye alone they will win fairly consistently within the next four years. My question is their a clause for the smaller schools to get them out if they get good and dominate the league? And before you say I'm nuts. Start thinking of some of the talent that has gone through northwest lately plus the kids at west and valley that could have went to northwest.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Unfortunately for NW, this mess could hurt them even more. Parents could start to consider moving kids out of the district to gain some stability and further worsen a bad situation. I read several of the board meeting minutes over the weekend and it looks like there are a couple individuals in the community that are pressing the board to make decisions/changes. If the board is that easily influenced, they probably need to consider some changes when their terms are up.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Who would be everyone's top candidates?
Maybe a coordinator from a nearby school applies? Honestly, I can't see any of the soc 2 coordinators leaving. Maybe one of the long time assistants at Portsmouth?
The only older coaches that have recently stepped down in this area I can think of are: Triplett, Davis, and Clifford...I don't see any of them applying

I assume Northwest doesn't have any teaching spots open, and I doubt they will be able make a spot for one.

They will probably have to go one of three ways:

Young coach/teacher who be willing to put up with working in a different district
Older retired coach/teacher who doesn't need a job
Community member or someone in the private sector

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

sider wrote:Who would be everyone's top candidates?
Maybe a coordinator from a nearby school applies? Honestly, I can't see any of the soc 2 coordinators leaving. Maybe one of the long time assistants at Portsmouth?
The only older coaches that have recently stepped down in this area I can think of are: Triplett, Davis, and Clifford...I don't see any of them applying

I assume Northwest doesn't have any teaching spots open, and I doubt they will be able make a spot for one.

They will probably have to go one of three ways:

Young coach/teacher who be willing to put up with working in a different district
Older retired coach/teacher who doesn't need a job
Community member or someone in the private sector
Heck I would make one of those board members take it since they are the ones that opened all those jobs up! They must know a lot more than everyone around them

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Westfan wrote:Crab I agree. I am glad they are out of the SOC II. For the reasons you mentioned.

But that doesn't change the fact that they are a huge school in comparison to the greens and notre dames of the SOC I. The idea I assume is move them to the smaller division and let them have success. Success at the cost of little schools whom did nothing wrong and have had success the right way.

If northwest wanted out they should have been made to go independent. As I said before West has struggled at basketball prior to the last couple years. How do you think that would have went over to drop to SOC I just because we were losing?

My opinion. Northwest has talent coming up. If they leave Frye alone they will win fairly consistently within the next four years. My question is their a clause for the smaller schools to get them out if they get good and dominate the league? And before you say I'm nuts. Start thinking of some of the talent that has gone through northwest lately plus the kids at west and valley that could have went to northwest.
I agree with Crab too. It's a good point you bring up westfan about going independent. However, I still think they would be playing predominately small SOC I schools anyway if they were. NW might be big enrollment wise, but they in no way, shape, or form are able to exploit their so-called numerical advantages. Crab's stats speak for themselves. The Mohawks for the most part get mastered no matter who they play. Frankly, I see them only marginally improved record wise in SOC I. They currently aren't a threat to anyone.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

True Oaf. But if you are one of the small schools and Northwest is in your league you have to play them. As you said most smaller schools around would play them now non - conference if they went independent. But playing them by choice is different than being made to. Just looking long term.

It just seems to me Northwest and Oak Hill want their cake and eat it too by playing with the big boys and girls in the sports they are good at but not with those they struggle in. I just think you should be all in or out.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Actually, the SOC voted on Oak Hill being in the SOC1. They didn't "choose" or "want their cake and eat it, too." South Webster is in the small division for soccer, and yet nobody ever talks about their dominance of the soccer scene. What about Valley being in the SOC1 for years in Football? There's a "grand design" by the powers that be that isn't changing anytime soon.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Jason Vorhees wrote:Actually, the SOC voted on Oak Hill being in the SOC1. They didn't "choose" or "want their cake and eat it, too." South Webster is in the small division for soccer, and yet nobody ever talks about their dominance of the soccer scene. What about Valley being in the SOC1 for years in Football? There's a "grand design" by the powers that be that isn't changing anytime soon.
That's because nobody cares about soccer or the other sub-par sports. Football pays the bills. It always has and always will. We've been over this simple economic lesson again and again. :roll:

Return to “Football”