WEEK 1: PORTSMOUTH @ VALLEY

nutronron2012
All State

WEEK 1: PORTSMOUTH @ VALLEY

Post by nutronron2012 »

Less than a month away to the kickoff of the 2014 season. Should be a very good measuring stick for both teams. Thoughts?

local superstar
All State

Re: WEEK 1: PORTSMOUTH @ VALLEY

Post by local superstar »

Both teams have the same weakness this year. Linemen. Portmouth beats Valley this year.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

This has been a close game the last 3 years, this year much of the same.

Valley 28
Portsmouth 22

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Portsmouth 35 Valley 21

rachel1219
Waterboy

Post by rachel1219 »

Portsmouth by the slightest of margins!

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I think people are underestimating valley again this year. They have some very talented juniors. Rolfe will be the best qb in the soc. They also have a lot of speed at the rb position. Valley lost some very good players but so did everyone else. I say valley 35 Portsmouth 26

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

How is Dickerson doing after his knee injury last year?

If he comes back to form Portsmouth will be better than they were last year.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

It all comes down to whether Portsmouth has improved its defense, hoping the good news Im hearing is true, but Im a show me type of fan. Go Trojans

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Defense is the key to whether Portsmouth will have a successful season or not......as LetsGoPSU just said...........the Trojans have given up 34 PPG the last 2 seasons........that has to improve considerably for PHS to get more W's. Offensively last year, the Red and Blue averaged 26 PPG, and returning QB Sky Oliver in just half a season as a starter threw for 1,500 yards and ran for 400. Talented receiver Alex Dickerson is back and healthy, and the same can be said for RB Darion Robinson, who has outstanding speed and can be a home run hitter for Portsmouth. Austin Hollins also has the capability of making some big plays at RB or WR.

PHS should have one of the SE District's best offenses this season, but how many wins the Trojans can post will depend on how the defense plays. Hopefully the kids will feed off the enthusiasm and energy of Coach Jason Sparks and his staff. GO TROJANS!!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Admittingly I didn't get home for a game last season, but I did see some film, Missed tackles, or as I saw it, poor effort tackles doomed the Trojans, I saw many very good tech moves to reach the ball only to see an "ole" type tackle, they need to square up , put a helmet on the ball and kid the young man to the ground. Ive heard some good things thus far this summer, Lets hope it advances to good things this fall. Valley is a true litmis test for this squad, momentum is going to be crucial as a poor start will carry on threw out

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THIS SHOULD BE A DANDY WEEK 1 MATCHUP

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Portsmouth should be the favorite in this game after the way last years game played out. Valley's ability last year to play power football late in the game and control the clock was the biggest reason they won this game. The combonation of Arnett and that big offensive line gave them that option. The big question for Valley will be do they have anyone to step in and fill the void left in those spots.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

Valley isn't as big or as deep in years past, but they are very fast and athletic. They do have some unproven size up front that will have to step up and play big, but the pieces are in place for the Indians to have another successful team. As far as the power running game that noles_fan was referring to... Valley returns fullback Alex Loop who is very tough and explosive. Loop put up big numbers in limited touches last season, rushing for over 500 yards and averaging around 10 yards per carry. He'll be counted on for the tough yards for sure. I also see this game as somewhat of a shootout with turnovers (as always) being a deciding factor. It sounds as if both teams are loaded with playmakers, so this should be a great game to watch. It's also very cool that this game will be played on a Thursday night... Very different and cool way to start the season.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Really excited for this game. Last years game was close for the most part through the 3rd quarter. I look for this to be another close one. I think the Trojans will be much improved and get the win at Valley on a neat Thursday night opener.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Loop will be a weapon and should fill the void nice for Arnett.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

6 days away!

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

This game could be a shoot out instead of a defensive battle.

Both teams are fast and athletic. For some reason, my gut says the Trojans somewhat get back on track week 1 under the new staff and win this one:

PHS 35
Valley 31

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Portsmouth takes this one!!! 35-7

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Dont think it will be 35-7 but I do believe PHS wins in a close one.

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

From what I have heard, the period of Valley having all that great talent (however they got it) will start to dwindle this year, and it might show in this game. If Coach Crabtree can some how coach up these young players and muster up a victory, then we will have no choice but to consider them favorites once again for SOC 2.

Portsmouth has some very dangerous skill players, and if the o-line shows better play this year, then watch out....they might be the Trojans of old.

I will take PHS in a high-scoring game.

Return to “Football”