Alexander Spartans 3-2 @ Vinton County 0-5

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Alexander Spartans 3-2 @ Vinton County 0-5

Post by Alexander hitman »

Spartans head to Mcarthur to battle the Vikings and try and keep
the winning going. I think they can, I'll take my Spartans by a couple scores.
What you guys think ??

91blue14
SE

Re: Alexander Spartans 3-2 @ Vinton County 0-5

Post by 91blue14 »

0-5 didn't see that coming

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Alexanders QB is athletic and accurate throwing the ball. The Spartans will be too much for VC. Alexander by 14+

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

Every year we hear how tough VC is going to be. And every year it's the same old same old.
Alex wins this one by 3 TDs .

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

Saw Alexander play week one vs. Fed Hock. Have to admit I wasn't too impressed. However, it seems like they have improved and are on their way to a nice season. I say Alex wins by 2 TD's. Alex 28-14. Agree nybucks70-80 about VC . . . every year, always too young or injured and not enough depth. They have almost 300 boys in their school and only 40 or so listed on their roster. Doesn't make sense. Good luck to both teams. Stay injury free.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Not sure who you are getting your info about VC being strong every year. This program has been struggling for the last 6 years. Last season was a nice surprise at 5-5 and with many starters back, it wasn't just folks from VC that expected a better showing this year. The Vikings have played a tough schedule and injuries haven't been a big problem this season. I'm not sure what has caused the regression from last year to this, but the Vikes will be ready to play on homecoming night. The season can be saved if VC can get on the winning track against Alex. Good luck Friday Vikes!!

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Hmmm maybe they can't get large numbers of kids out because they are one of the largest rural school districts in Ohio. Some of their kids are on the bus for two hours one way getting to school . The county is larger than Jackson County with only one school Logan same situation but the luxury of having the city ofLogan allows them to have a different situation .Very deceptive those numbers when a lot of the kids could never make it to practice. When Rourke was head coach the district paid for an athletic bus to get the kids home and they were successful

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

When O'Rourke was coach, kids wanted to play football. They did whatever it took to win...Coaches and players both.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

I think our man Dundas is on the right track. As far as the transportation issue, maybe some kids, but almost 300 boys in the school and they only have around 40 out. 260 or so can't get to practice. Don't buy it. Like I said, I'll take the Spartans by 2 Td's.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

I've always wondered what the real deal was in Vinton....
I realize that they are big on basketball but darn you can't tell
Me they can't come up with 40-50 football players and half way decent coach
All at the same time.
The Spartans normally have 40 or so and I think we are down to like 35
This year but don't qoute me on that.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Need to ask Dundas or VC transplant they know what the
Hell is going on down there all the time.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Alexander Hitman wrote:Need to ask Dundas or VC transplant they know what the
Hell is going on down there all the time.
I would think that VC loses a few football players to Wellston and some to Alexander if they live on the western and eastern edges of Vinton County. Lot closer to those schools than to McArthur.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Spartans by 3 scores...

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Charles Farquar wrote:Hmmm maybe they can't get large numbers of kids out because they are one of the largest rural school districts in Ohio. Some of their kids are on the bus for two hours one way getting to school . The county is larger than Jacksony County with only one school Logan same situation but the luxury of having the city ofLogan allows them to have a different situation .Very deceptive those numbers when a lot of the kids could never make it to practice. When Rourke was head coach the district paid for an athletic bus to get the kids home and they were successful
You are exactly right. Not to mention the economic issues and lack of industry in the county. No excuses. We will keep taking our lumps and stand behind our kids and root them on no matter what. GO VIKES!!!

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Post by seoconstruction »

vinton county has the recipe for success ! Your entire county for the most part attends 1 high school , you have the athletes (basketball program shows that) and you're a d3 school in a primarily d4/5 league. There are plenty of opportunities for success and it won't happen until you find a coach that gets the players , school , and community to buy in! Kinda like what Matt has done with the basketball program , he gets a packed house night in and night out and Vc loves their basketball ! With this being said 0-5 is unacceptable with a school that has so much potential ! There is a hireable coach somewhere that can turn this program around in just a year or so , someone who is a leader and the kids love so they buy in immediately

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Well said seoconstruction.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Post by seoconstruction »

And I read above , VC does not play a "tough" schedule , a tough schedule for VC would be Jackson logan Ironton Circlville Logan Elm or schools w that caliber of talent / tradition ... There needs to be NO BLAME on the schedule , talent , or for heaven sakes "school bus routes"

VC needs a new coach , one that can come in and excite the kids , school , and community.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

This years schedule is tough for the way things are for the program seoconstruction. 10-20 years ago, we would never have the likes of Piketon, Fed Hock, or Unioto on our schedule. Bbut times have changed. I agree that the program needs a spark. A swift kick in the rear. How long will the powers that be and the ones in charge of this team accept mediocrity? It saddens me that we only have 38 kids on a team that once fielded 50-60+ year after year. However with that said, each and every one of those 38 players and coaches are Vikings and I support them as much as I can! I want to see them do well and wish them luck every week. Once a Viking, always a Viking!

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

It's a basketball school, period. As is Federal Hocking that's why they've only had a year or two of success. Nelsonville is a football school and always will be.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

athens78 wrote:It's a basketball school, period. As is Federal Hocking that's why they've only had a year or two of success. Nelsonville is a football school and always will be.
They've only been a basketball school since 2001. There were years in the 90s that the football team had more wins than the basketball team. From 1988-1999, VC's worst record was 6-4. They were a football school. Period.

Return to “Football”