Why are these games not being played?

2trap_4ever
S

Why are these games not being played?

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I know we have had "Dream Matchup" threads on here but I wanted to talk about games that should be happening and what it would take to make them happen.

1. Lucasville Valley vs. Ironton - Why isn't this game on the schedule, gates would be great, a treasure chest of computer points to the winner. One of these schools needs to make the first step in getting this to happen.

2. Symmes Valley vs. Coal Grove - Former conference opponents who are not that far apart in divisions or distance. Symmes Valley plays Chesapeake why not play Coal Grove. I also have seen where the Vikings have picked up South Point.

There are two to start. Now I know there takes a lot to make a schedule, dates have to line up and other things, but I feel as fans we have missed out on some really good football.

goUK
Varsity

Re: Why are these games not being played?

Post by goUK »

Ironton and valley will probably never play unless it is the playoffs. Ironton will have 7 ovc games and play russell, ashland and burg. But i do agree that would be an awesome game.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

goUK wrote:Ironton and valley will probably never play unless it is the playoffs. Ironton will have 7 ovc games and play russell, ashland and burg. But i do agree that would be an awesome game.
True if they can keep those teams scheduled. Ironton played Ashland on week 4, well that will become a conference game in 2016 and the rest of the OVC is not going to destroy their schedules just so Ironton can keep rivalries. Ironton is going to have to hope those three teams are willing to take a week one, two, or three date. If not, then Ironton will have to break traditional rivalries and start looking at other options.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

2trap_4ever wrote:
goUK wrote:Ironton and valley will probably never play unless it is the playoffs. Ironton will have 7 ovc games and play russell, ashland and burg. But i do agree that would be an awesome game.
True if they can keep those teams scheduled. Ironton played Ashland on week 4, well that will become a conference game in 2016 and the rest of the OVC is not going to destroy their schedules just so Ironton can keep rivalries. Ironton is going to have to hope those three teams are willing to take a week one, two, or three date. If not, then Ironton will have to break traditional rivalries and start looking at other options.

I agree, i mean long term those will be. It may be 2018 before they get it all lined out. IF i understand it correctly, they get a good amount of points for ashland and russell and would be a much harder game to win if it were an ohio team of equal points.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

goUK wrote:
2trap_4ever wrote:

I agree, i mean long term those will be. It may be 2018 before they get it all lined out. IF i understand it correctly, they get a good amount of points for ashland and russell and would be a much harder game to win if it were an ohio team of equal points.
I have never understood that part of it. Why do Ky teams yield so many points? They suck. Anyways, Burg will hold the week 1 spot until either of the schools give up football. But I would like to see Minford pick up Ironton in there schedule.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Points are based on size of school regardless of state. Ky schools are usually much easier opponents when comparing records.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

goUK wrote:Points are based on size of school regardless of state. Ky schools are usually much easier opponents when comparing records.
The thing is when you play the same size out of state school you get a one division bump in points.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

noles_fan wrote:
goUK wrote:Points are based on size of school regardless of state. Ky schools are usually much easier opponents when comparing records.
The thing is when you play the same size out of state school you get a one division bump in points.
When did that start?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Points system needs updated. Steubenville got 52 second point by beating d2 wheeling park 42-21. If Steubenville beat Athens, they would have only got 50 second level points. I wish Athens still played Parkersburg South, they weren't any good and gave us a lot of points. This year they would have gave Athens more points than Steubenville did lol

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Gray Fighting Tiger wrote:
noles_fan wrote:
When did that start?
It didn't start because that isn't accurate.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Thanks. That's what I thought.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Oak Hill vs Wellston. Because of the addition of Northwest and Eastern to the SOC 1 this game is no longer on the schedule.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

I'd like to see the OVC vs SOC in week one every year. Maybe one game on a Thursday, one game on a Saturday?

How about West vs Portsmouth and Burg vs Ironton double header on a Saturday?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

noles_fan wrote:The thing is when you play the same size out of state school you get a one division bump in points.
As mentioned, that isn't true.

But there is another point benefit to beating an out of state team that wins games, provided the school you beat wins games against smaller opponents. The second level points for the opponent's wins always equal the 1st level designation, regardless of the size of those opponents.

To use Parkersburg South as an example, they are considered D1 for Ohio purposes, so beating them and every win they record provides 6.5 points. Beating them this season would have earned this:
1st Level - 6.5 points
2nd Level - 6 wins X 6.5 points = 39

If the classifications for PS's opponents were all converted, they'd have beaten four D3 & one D4 team in Ohio (they actually did beat Ohio D4 Warren). (I did a quick look at enrollment numbers and what was available for similar schools, those sizes may not be entirely correct.) So, if 2nd Level points were tracked the same way as 2nd level points for beating an in-state school, the it would've looked like this:
1st Level - 6.5 pts.
2nd Level - 1 wins X 6.5 = 6.5; 4 wins X 5.5 (D3) = 22; 1 win X 5 (D4) = 5 for a total of 33.5

It amounts to about a one game overall difference and turns out minimal in the divisors, but play a couple of out of state games and those points can start to add up.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Dinocrocetti wrote:I'd like to see the OVC vs SOC in week one every year. Maybe one game on a Thursday, one game on a Saturday?

How about West vs Portsmouth and Burg vs Ironton double header on a Saturday?
I actually thought of an idea that had a OVC vs SOC II head-to-head challenge and occurred during conference play with a non-conference matchup between the OVC and SOC II once a week in Weeks 4-10, which included Oak Hill and Northwest regardless of their SOC division in football, but that was before the announcement of Gallia Academy joining the OVC. If I remember right, I think the matchups were Burg-Ironton, West-Portsmouth, Oak Hill-Rock Hill, Valley-Dawson Bryant, Northwest-Chesapeake, Waverly-South Point, and Minford-Fairland in no particular order with the 1st 3 based on rivalries and the latter 4 based enrollment. I guess you could add Symmes Valley since they're in Lawrance County with the OVC as an 8th team for the SOC just for the head-to-head and rearrange the team matchups some and do them all in Week 1 like you said Dinocrocetti, but Burg-Ironton and West-Portsmouth should never change.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

I know one matchup I thought was weird that hasn't happened was Gallia Academy and River Valley being very close to each other in location and enrollment, but that matchup is actually scheduled to play in 2016 and 2017; hopefully they can start a county rivalry and play each other annually in Week 1.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

what about burg and coal grove? I thought this was a several yr deal? I seen the 2015 burg schedule and cg is not on it

The Little General
Riding the Bench

Post by The Little General »

I think someone should be asking the administration at Meigs why they are afraid to play Wahama. I dont want to hear a bunch of lame excuses about what happened with a contract 20 years ago. No one in charge at Wahama at that time still works today. We have a Meigs grad coaching at our school. I am sure he would keep his word on a contract now. This game would be the best gate every year for either school and if played on a Saturday would be even bigger.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Double header Saturday sounds like a great idea. Makes too much sense though.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jackson vs Minford

-close drive
-huge gate
-great test for both programs
-natural rivalry
-not a huge size difference

Return to “Football”