Wheelersburg Pirates 2013 Football Season

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Wheelersburg Pirates 2013 Football Season

Post by Mad-Dogg »

lets get some thoughts. the sesaondid not end the way burg fans wanted. including back to back losses to valley for the first time ever. with the addition of a 7th div. will the burg stay in D5 or drop to D6? the numbers show it could be close but i think burg drops to 6.

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2013 Football Season

Post by fbnut »

They will win 7-8 games, lose the 2-3 big games they will have and be a 1 and done playoff team, business as usual.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote:They will win 7-8 games, lose the 2-3 big games they will have and be a 1 and done playoff team, business as usual.
How many soc 2 regional. and state championships. does valley have? A couple of down years for the burg won't keep them down. poser.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote:
fbnut wrote:They will win 7-8 games, lose the 2-3 big games they will have and be a 1 and done playoff team, business as usual.
How many soc 2 regional. and state championships. does valley have? A couple of down years for the burg won't keep them down. poser.
No undefeated regular season since 1989, 6-13 in playoffs since 2000,No state semifinal appearance since 1998, and 5 soc titles in the last 13 hrs. That's not a couple down years, that's a mediocre southern Ohio football program this century.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote:
wobycat wrote:
No undefeated regular season since 1989, 6-13 in playoffs since 2000,No state semifinal appearance since 1998, and 5 soc titles in the last 13 hrs. That's not a couple down years, that's a mediocre southern Ohio football program this century.
Back to us again? I guess I'll answer the question for you. Valley has 0 regionals, 0 state semi's... ever and 2 soc championships in 13 years. I'll take our mediocre.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

What does Valley have to do with this? If fbnut is from Valley, it is news to me.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Crab's brother wrote:What does Valley have to do with this? If fbnut is from Valley, it is news to me.

I'm not sure what valley has to do with it, I guess 2straight losses to the Indians has the burg fans kind of sensitive. Wow I didn't know I was from valley either. I'm going to have to get rid of all those orange and black cloths my kids wear. The burg may only have a avg football program but the stadium is very nice.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:What does Valley have to do with this? If fbnut is from Valley, it is news to me.

I'm not sure what valley has to do with it, I guess 2straight losses to the Indians has the burg fans kind of sensitive. Wow I didn't know I was from valley either. I'm going to have to get rid of all those orange and black cloths my kids wear. The burg may only have a avg football program but the stadium is very nice.
So who do you root for? Every post I saw of yours is your man love for the Indians. sure isn't for the burg. By the way, no southeastern Ohio team is turning heads. liberty union put it on both valley and burg only to get hammered by kirtland same thing happened last year.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

burgite born and raised. i am just not under the illusion that this program is any better than avg and they havent been for a long time. I am not going to accept that it is ok to be mediocre as long as everyone else in southeastern ohio is as well. valley has earned my respect. they went 10-0 in 2011 with a very talented team, lost most of that team and still put together a 10-0 team this year. thats what the burg used to do, but not anymore.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote:burgite born and raised. i am just not under the illusion that this program is any better than avg and they havent been for a long time. I am not going to accept that it is ok to be mediocre as long as everyone else in southeastern ohio is as well. valley has earned my respect. they went 10-0 in 2011 with a very talented team, lost most of that team and still put togeta 10-0 team this year. thats what the burg used to do, but not anymore.
you're right burg sucks.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I dont recall ever saying the burg sucks. I said they have a very avg football program and have been avg for the past 12 years. 70's, 80's, 90's dominant program, 2000-2012 very avg. The bigger problem is the community has grown to accept mediocrity.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Mad_Dogg wrote:lets get some thoughts. the sesaondid not end the way burg fans wanted. including back to back losses to valley for the first time ever. with the addition of a 7th div. will the burg stay in D5 or drop to D6? the numbers show it could be close but i think burg drops to 6.
Burg had a small class which graduated in 2012 and they affected the last 2 enrollment counts. I think the numbers will be up a little this time and they will probably stay D5. I think the line will be much improved this year and be much more experienced. After having a year of learning the faster paced offense behind them, they will be very tough this year. As always, it is tough to replace the graduating seniors, but there were really only 4-5 seniors who played a significant amount. After the 8-2 season this year and losing 2 games by a total of 7 points, I would expect a very solid season again and they should be looking for another gold football and a good playoff run.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

fbnut----move--- that attitude is what the burg doesnt need. u must be a grad from the 90's. u r either with us or against us--- now which is it???

Curious George
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious George »

I expect Burg to be one of the top teams in the SOC and in the hunt for another playoff birth. I think the Pirates need a better running attack to go along with E Miller and his group of solid receivers. Any Burg fans have any ideas on who will be starting in the backfield? I've heard the McCallister (sp?) kid has some ability and could add the dynamic of another legitimate rushing threat in addition to E Miller.

I think the top 3 teams in the SOC 2 next year will be Minford, Burg and Valley with all 3 capable of winning the league.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

eddie wrote:fbnut----move--- that attitude is what the burg doesnt need. u must be a grad from the 90's. u r either with us or against us--- now which is it???
Thanks for proving my point. Any questioning of the direction or negative oppinions about this program is just about always met with this type of response.. You have to follow blindly and only have positive oppinions about the program to live in the burg or be a supporter I guess. Trust me I have put in enough time when it comes to burg football that I think I am entitled to my oppinion without someone telling me I should move.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Curious George wrote:Any Burg fans have any ideas on who will be starting in the backfield? I've heard the McCallister (sp?) kid has some ability and could add the dynamic of another legitimate rushing threat in addition to E Miller.
McAlister, May, Ellis, and/or Hutchinson could see some time in the backfield. All of these kids are young and have a lot of potential. I would expect Martin to fill the TE spot for 2013 as well.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

fbnut it doesnt prove any point. ur either with us or against. if u would like to make a difference i am sure u could help out in some way with the kids from pee wee to varsity. talk to the coaches. some of the practices i have been to over the years they have been very approachable and talk x's and o's with me. if u could help----it will just take 10 to 40 hrs of ur week if u have the time and depending on where u could help. whats ur plans anyway? on the football field. would u like the offense to run more power run plays, ct treys, traps, 20, 40, 60 series or maybe more passing play action ---short passes--- get the ball out quick like slants and hitches. defensively would u like to run more bear, 5-2 monster firer, stack with cloud and sky. i am sure the tackling needs to get better too.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I don't think it's a x's and o's issue. I'll be honest I'm not sure how you would necessarily fix what needs fixing. Big discipline problems could be addressed easily enough. Cheap shots should not be tolerated, too many of those this year that were embarrassing and killed this team. Those type things are just stupid. They could have been addressed during practice but it wasn't stopping the same players from doing the same thing week after week. To much of players running their mouths on the field, that looks bad and is not burg football. Burg players are physically weak, they get pushed around, ran over, manhandled at the line. The coaches must have felt the same way because I saw the baseball coach running the football team through some conditioning drills back in november. The biggest issue is an urban meyer thing, it's an attitude, someone has to make a game changing play in big games. I don't know how you teach or coach that, any suggestions? I know meyer credits his strength coach and offseason conditioning stuff, everything is a competition. I thought in 2011 the coaches and kids did a great job, 7-3 was a great season for that team. This years team underachieved, they should have beat ironton and valley. The 2010 team pretty good job, ironton and oak hill were better teams. The 2009 team should not have lost to ironton and should have beat minford by 2-3 scores. Hilliard Davidson has something, everyone knows it, our coaches know it. They talk to their coaches every offseason. White does something that allows his teams to compete and beat teams that are 2-3-4 scores better than his talent wise. I don't have all the answers, I don't think I can do any better, but I think the program is missing something.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

As I see it the problem is this senior class has been then the weakest class athletically in the history of the school! The last few years the talent level has not been there. The 11th,10th 9th and 8th grade classes are full of football talent. There are alot of the kids that have parents who played on those dominating teams in the 80's and 90's. Another big problem is we haven't had a good line in a few years. The strength of the 10th and 9th grade classes is the lineman. When you add the skill kids from this year and sprinkle in a couple of those skill kids and those big lineman from the freshman class they should be pretty good next year. There are going to be so much talent in the next few years the coaches could almost have the players go one way. Of course player development is the key. Those lineman are working hard in the weight room and only play 1 or 2 (track) sports so it doesn't stop them from lifting year round unlike those skill kids that play 3 sports. Another problem is they need to give the weight room back to a football coach when Barrick retires. We started getting weaker when the football coach lost the weight room during school. In the 80's and 90's Football coaches had the weight room and all those skill kids took advanced PE 7th period and they were not allowed to slack off regardless of what sport they were playing. It all goes down to player development! The coaches we have are young and good. If the administration would give the weight room back to the football coaches during school hours it would help a bunch! Maybe when Barrick retires they could hire Madden he has his teaching degree and would do an outstanding job with the weight room! No worries pirate fans good times are coming back around.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

then what has hit the nail on the head. only 10 seniors total have been on the field starting the last 2 years. thats a problem in football. we are not what we used to be here in the SOC. all of the SOC teams are division 5 or small 4 football teams with 150 to 200 boys in our high schools. but we all compete. our young men here at the burg all work hard and for the most part are discipline------ a handful are not. as for the weight room like (then what) stated our football coaches have to get the weight room back during school. i believe during the offseason there are maybe 15 football players lifting the whole time out of 50. thats a problem. barrick has got to let the basketball players lift properly with the football and baseball teams. no lifting on game days just stretching. Barricks got to get with the rest of our coaches because he is loosing great athletes each year.

Return to “Football”