2013 Coal Grove Hornets

cghomie
Waterboy

2013 Coal Grove Hornets

Post by cghomie »

i'm thinkin the hornets are gonna make a strong run into the state tournament next year. coach Lucas was able to sweep the OVC, and make another playoff appearance this year, starting 10 sophomores and one freshman. the 2012 senior backfield duo of Hogsten and Estep will have to be replaced, as well as playmaking qb Alex Bare though. all three of these seniors were all conference, all district, and honorable mention all state.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Re: 2013 Coal Grove Hornets

Post by fuzzhead »

It looks to be another solid year for the Hornets. Rigsby is more than capable of stepping in right where Bare left off at QB; Murphy and Gunther will be great behind him. Rigsby will have plenty of targets to throw to, not the least of whom will be Paulus and Markins.

airborne
Waterboy

Post by airborne »

I agree fuzz. I believe there's also 5 or 6 offensive linemen returning.

converterfan
Freshman Team

Post by converterfan »

I think with the line they will have it will make any running back look good. They will lose the running threat of bare at the qb but rigbys ARM will more than make up with that. They will still be young but if they can find a few good receivers that will b the bread and butter next year .

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I think the one question that has to be asked is if our returning offensive linemen are already in the weight room? Ask anyone that pays attention to high school football and now is when games are won. Who is putting the work in during the winter and summer will determine who wins in the fall. I believe that the Grove will return enough next year to make a lot of noise not just in the OVC but southern Ohio, it all depends on where the dedication is with our players. If they want to win then the work starts now.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

2trap_4ever wrote:COAL GROVE

Meigs
@ Wheelersburg
Valley
Raceland Ky.
@ Waverly
@ Rock Hill
@ River Valley
Fairland
Chesapeake
@ South Point
I know it is early but looking at the schedule, I can see anything from 9-1 to 7-3. The Grove could go 10-0, it all depends on how much work these boys put in.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

TTT

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Can anyone verify news that I have heard about our division next year, I have heard rumors that when the numbers for next year come out that the Grove may go all the way down to Divsion 7, is this true?

gogrove9
JV Team

Post by gogrove9 »

We are a very low Div5 right now. Depending on how the numbers come out we could be low Div 6 or high Div7. We have a few small classes coming up that will be in the count so we will have to wait until May.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I could see Coal Grove, Valley and Loudonville all moving down to D6 with the new count (all were playoff teams in 2012). D7 could be a stretch, but we'll have to see how the numbers turn out.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

no disrespect but i think coal grove will win or tie for the ovc crown this year and again get exposed in the playoffs. if Burg wasnt on their schedule next year it would be the weakest in southern ohio. with Burg on the schedule it makes them a bottom 2-3 on schedule strength. that will make a big difference week 11.

if they drop a division they might have a chance to make a run. if they stay in D5 it will be disappointing for the hornet faithful.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Don't forget they also play valley

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Badboy wrote:no disrespect but i think coal grove will win or tie for the ovc crown this year and again get exposed in the playoffs. if Burg wasnt on their schedule next year it would be the weakest in southern ohio. with Burg on the schedule it makes them a bottom 2-3 on schedule strength. that will make a big difference week 11.

if they drop a division they might have a chance to make a run. if they stay in D5 it will be disappointing for the hornet faithful.
I don't think we have to worry about staying DIV V, our enrollment will not be that big, we do have some smaller classes coming up in the next few years, so for the Grove it will be DIV VI or DIV VII.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

2trap_4ever wrote:
Badboy wrote:no disrespect but i think coal grove will win or tie for the ovc crown this year and again get exposed in the playoffs. if Burg wasnt on their schedule next year it would be the weakest in southern ohio. with Burg on the schedule it makes them a bottom 2-3 on schedule strength. that will make a big difference week 11.

I don't think we have to worry about staying DIV V, our enrollment will not be that big, we do have some smaller classes coming up in the next few years, so for the Grove it will be DIV VI or DIV VII.
Well, with the new enrollment numbers that came out I could have been wrong. I still do not see the increase that the OHSAA has for the Grove but we are looking to stay DIV V

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

kinda been the formula over the years.........

Bad Press
Waterboy

Post by Bad Press »

How is 7 on 7 going for the hornets. Whats the grade on Rigsby amd the receivers so far.

bigpoppy20
Riding the Bench

Post by bigpoppy20 »

I think CG has a tough schedule! Most in southern Ohio don't realize how tough Raceland is. Add Burg, Valley, and a big Waverly, and this is VERY respectable schedule. Rigsby will be a HUGE weapon. Gunther will finally get the majority of touches and do damage out of backfield. He's their "go-to" guy. If they lose more than two games, I will be surprised.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Grove plays a respectable schedule. Good Luck, would like to see you win out this year.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Weak schedule? The majority of the weakness comes from the OVC - games that they have to schedule. Yes, compared to Ironton or an SOC2 conference slate, the schedule is weak. Coal Grove will never schedule like Ironton does. Let's quit gnawing on that bone (and Ironton will not have the same level of success against incredibly tough schedules that they have in the past). Wheelersburg and Valley are very good games. This is a schedule that is realistic for where the Hornets are both geographically and skill-wise. Are there games that I'd like to see on the non-conference schedule? Of course. But this is a good schedule - one with which CG could go anywhere from 10-0 to maybe 6-4. Also, does a weak schedule lead to not being prepared in the playoffs? To an extent, probably. But look back on who CG has lost to recently and I think you will concede that CG has gone against better teams - all have been to Regional Finals if I'm not mistaken. Last year, it was almost a miracle the Hornets even made the playoffs and they went against a Valley team they'd already met in the regular season. The new regions are very interesting and if CG can put together a 2-loss season or better, they should get better seeding than they have the last few years.

Bad Press
Waterboy

Post by Bad Press »

I belieive the grove will be better than some think and even better by weeks end

Return to “Football”