All Conference

2013 Portsmouth West Senators

Post by sider »

Thoughts?

Game day
All State

Re: 2013 Portsmouth West Senators

Post by Game day »

West should have some returning starters on both sides of the ball. For West to have a good year they need to hit the wieight room hard in the off season. I would believe Coach-T will take care of that for sure. The strength of the team next year could be on the defensive side of the ball. I noticed late in the year that West went away from the 5-2 defense to a 4-2-5. I think that will help them next year preparing for passing teams. The Junior class has some good football players. The Senior class this pass year were strong but lacked football knowledge in general. The Juior class are more football type players but need to hit the weight room to be really good. West also will have their QB returning which should help them alot. The games I seen he can throw the ball but needs to get rid of the ball and not take sacks. The offense will have some returning linemen but I would say their backfield could be there strenght. Last years backs just did not hit the holes hard and turned the ball over to much. Overall I think West could have a good year in a tuff SOCII division.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I agree with that analysis. The problem of the team last year was speed and quickness. The senior class had to no athletes that had breakaway speed. Frye was a good athlete, but for one part of the year he was at running back (not his natural position) and the other part he was at receiver (we had an inexperienced quarterback). The line, although big and strong struggled with quickness. We really only had one player on offense that had speed and quickness, Austin Bricker. We didn't discover until later on the year that Dylan Kouns is talented kid. Irwin actually did a little better than I expected. I feel as though he had a better sophomore year than our past two quarterbacks (Alfie Bricker and Levi Ratliff) and they both ended up being good ones, hopefully he will continue to improve. He just needs a little more time and coaching. I hope to see us open up the playbook a little more and get Kouns and Bricker in space.

Defensively it was the same story. We were strong and defended the run, but had speed in the back-end. Hopefully some sophomores will step up and we can get faster. The key to this year is how much the kids want to commit to being a successful football team. We have the horses, we have a good coach(es), we have facilities. I could see team being a playoff team and top 3 in the league, anything less (like last year) would be a disappointment.

Also, I am glad to there were not an abundance of people on here calling for Triplett's head. We all set unrealistic expectations for this team. Did they underachieve, yes, but the amount of talent we had the previous 4 years was some of the best since the early 00s. Hopefully we can turn it around and get back to making the playoffs and winning gold footballs. Go Senators!

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I don't think the play book needs opened up until the players can perform the basic plays. Quick linemen did not hurt as much as players not blocking the right player. But I don't see that being a problem next year with the line or backs. I also think in West had a back like the Lewis kid from Ironton they would have won at least 8 games.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

If they had a back like pendleton, would have won 10.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

game day wrote:I don't think the play book needs opened up until the players can perform the basic plays. Quick linemen did not hurt as much as players not blocking the right player. But I don't see that being a problem next year with the line or backs. I also think in West had a back like the Lewis kid from Ironton they would have won at least 8 games.
I guess open up wouldn't be the proper term, maybe diversify? I agree simple = good, but some of our 3 back sets could be set with some 1 back, 3 wr sets
West Side Pride wrote:If they had a back like pendleton, would have won 10.
Yes, they probably would of, but when you a player such as Pendleton was his senior, you probably won't lose many.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

this thread almost made me spit Pepsi on my computer... hadnt clicked on any football threads in weeks and when I opened this one I thought " WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO FOR SOMEONE SUGGEST THE KEY TO SUCCESS IS GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM THIS SUMMER " and sure enough like death and tax's the very first line in the very first response is ... excuse me , second sentence.... but my point every year since the invention of SEOP West observers think pounding the weights in the summer is THE key to success . While it is important , you cant take an untalented football player and have him lift til he is a beast and make a talented football player out of him . You still have a strong untalented football player. The game is more about schemes and speed these days , maybe they ought to discover the forward pass ?

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Werent you the head coach at West in past?lol

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

He wishes!!! LOL From what i have read was at the great melting pot (notre dame), but got canned just like kentucky trojan.
Now they mostly just live on here 24/7 and gripe, complain, and tell everyone what their doing wrong. but, of course..we all
need their direction to be so successful. JMO

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

ManitouDan wrote:this thread almost made me spit Pepsi on my computer... hadnt clicked on any football threads in weeks and when I opened this one I thought " WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO FOR SOMEONE SUGGEST THE KEY TO SUCCESS IS GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM THIS SUMMER " and sure enough like death and tax's the very first line in the very first response is ... excuse me , second sentence.... but my point every year since the invention of SEOP West observers think pounding the weights in the summer is THE key to success .
LOL... My thoughts exactly when first opening this page.

Good Luck to West next year.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

high plains -- Ky Trojan has never been at ND and I've never been canned at anything.... wrong on both accounts .. would say nice try but it wasnt even educated enough for a " nice try"

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

If you were the West coach, you threw the ball less than they do now.lmao

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

tressell was canned same as Joe Pa, for trying to cover up illegal doings from the powers that be. I never said K.T. was at N.D. Can't
comprehend what you read? Me no education eider!!!!

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Fundamentals and learning to play and practicing defense wins games. When you take away from either of these you go average at best no matter what type of players you have. The only thing better than scoring a touchdown is doing it from the defensive side. You can run plays till your blue in the face, you can lift until your arms stick out, when your kids buy into your system , believe in the guy next to them and would follow their coaches to hell and back...you will have reached greatness.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

shew smh

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

You win at each level the same way:
-blocking
-tackling
-ball security
-intelligence

Schematically win by running sound schemes that utilize your talent and can be thought in a fairly simple manner.
You must a good strength and conditioning program in order to be physically prepared and you must have a fairly good feeder system that teaches fundamentals. As for us stupid west fans, we just like speculate because that is the purpose of the site. We are just a bunch of has-beens or never will be's, there's no need to attack each other.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Schedule will probably be alot tougher next year with Portsmouth, Valley, Wheelersburg, and Minford all having alot of guys back. Then add in Liberty Union whom return all their skill guys from the regional champs.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

ManitouDan wrote:this thread almost made me spit Pepsi on my computer... hadnt clicked on any football threads in weeks and when I opened this one I thought " WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO FOR SOMEONE SUGGEST THE KEY TO SUCCESS IS GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM THIS SUMMER " and sure enough like death and tax's the very first line in the very first response is ... excuse me , second sentence.... but my point every year since the invention of SEOP West observers think pounding the weights in the summer is THE key to success . While it is important , you cant take an untalented football player and have him lift til he is a beast and make a talented football player out of him . You still have a strong untalented football player. The game is more about schemes and speed these days , maybe they ought to discover the forward pass ?

Lifting needs to be at the top somewhere in any physical sport. Minimizes injuries, which is also at the top! I still lift and know the rewards. Nobody wins
anything without a good weight program. "The game is more about schemes and speed". Do you think fast kids without any mass or upper body strength
would make a great half-back? As far as schemes go, you can pick your most knowledable physical sport and I''ll play it as simle as can be played. Bet I
win.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

do you think Eddie Miller beats you because he can dead lift a volkswagon or because of other attributes ? I know i picked out a QB in this one instance but my point is look at all of Burgs skill guys . They are not physical beast . Most of Valley's are not . ( with only few exceptions) They DO beat you with schemes and speed, and strength when needed . Of course strength is needed but every off season we read for months how the primary goal is " hitting the weights" for West football success . IMO if you concentrate on all areas of improvement you guys would be a more rounded football team. Or you can continue to be a ground only , grind it out type team. just an opinion from an impartial observer but Valleys and Burgs passing game seperates them from you. They run a more complex offense not reliant on brute strength . just my opinion and honestly hoops and softball are my primary areas of interest . If I'm wrong , so be it . MD

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Maybe you should be the Portsmouth football coach, then get your azz kicked. West throws plenty and they are the only one of the three you mentioned that had a Soph QB. Stick to hoops and softball.

Return to “Football”