SOC 2 Play is Finally Here!! Discussion??

Jesco White
S

SOC 2 Play is Finally Here!! Discussion??

Post by Jesco White »

Well, the time has finally come, with the final non-league games in the books as of tonight, league play begins over the course of the next five weeks and it looks to be another exciting year in the SOC 2. I'd love to hear some thoughts on what we've learned through the first five weeks of the season, during the non-league portion of the schedule. My goal is to keep a blog of sorts on the SOC 2 over the next five weeks (and hopefully follow 2 or 3 league teams during the playoffs as well). Obviously, I'm no longer in a position to govern discussions on this forum, as I gave that position up years ago. But, I would like to ask if we could leave some of the non-sense trash-talk out of this thread and focus on the teams. Remember guys (and gals) we all have our opinions, and while we may differ on how we see things due to individual experiences, rose-colored glasses, etc.; all of our opinions are just as valuable as the next person. So, hopefully we can keep things respectful and simply discuss the league, and maybe learn some things from each other about the other teams in the league that we don't get to see on a weekly basis by providing legitimate information on our own respective teams.

Best of luck to all 6 SOC 2 teams as we head into league play!!! I'm very excited to see how things shake out and I'm obviously rooting hard for my alma mater as they begin their first ever SOC 2 title defense. Again, best of luck to all of the players, coaches, fans, etc of each team in the SOC 2 over the next five weeks and hopefully beyond!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: SOC 2 Play is Finally Here!! Discussion??

Post by Bleeding Red »

Burg is the front runner. I think the first team that can beat Burg is Burg themselves.

I have Minford and Valley in a deadlock for 2nd place right now.

West and Waverly will be a good matchup and West could play spoiler. Depends on how much better West can get in the next 5 weeks and stay healthy. They are not very deep at skill positions this year. Give the nod to West for 3rd.

So:
1.) Burg
2.) Minford/Valley
3.) West
4.) Waverly
5.) NW

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

Here is how I see the Rankings going into SOC 2 play. IMO it’s Burgs to lose....they are looking very impressive. I honestly don’t think there is a team in the SOC 2 who can stop them (other than themselves) as previously stated, they can only hope to keep up with them.

1. Wheelersburg
2. Valley
3. Minford
4. West
5. Waverly
6. NW
Last edited by Endzone_Warrior on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Right now Valley, Wheelersburg, and Minford look to be early favorites for the SOC II.

I also wouldn't sleep on West though. Triplett is a very good coach and has had 5 weeks now to work out their issues. Certainly West will be ready to mentally hit the reset button.

Waverly has not been as good as some of their fans thought they might be, but they will always have a 'punchers chance' becuase of their QB play.

Northwest is counting down the days till they leave the SOC II, IMO.

Should be a great next 5 weeks. There's a good chance that 3 teams from the conference make it to the playoffs.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

All of the top contenders have shocked me in different ways.

The Burg's explosiveness on offense and their ability to score quickly is probably the team to beat. Teams will need to grind it out on the ground, limiting the number of touches and opportunities. Tall order since the Pirate's defense appears solid. They probably played the toughest non conference schedule. My edge goes to the PIRATES.

I'm not sure what to think about the Falcon's. They have risen to the occasion in come back wins against the Streak's and Oak's as well as handling Wellston. I haven't seen them play, so it's hard to gauge their level of play.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Indian's too. Coming into the season I felt they would be setting at 3-2 after 5 games, with an overall record of 6-4. It appears their running game is as stout as last year's, with a platoon of backs getting touches. If their passing attack is coming to life then they will be better suited to control the clock against the Pirates and others who can score quickly....shorten the game! Their non conference schedule was a little tougher, playing a healthier Portsmouth team vs HHS. CG also appeared to be a bit better based on how well they competed against the Pirate's. I'm not sure how much can be gained by the other non conference games.

I still believe West will play a role in the outcome of the SOC II. The team predicted by most to run roughshod through the league still exist. They are a dangerous team and shouldn't be taken for granted by anyone. The Trojan loss was a fluke and I'd bet the Sider's would take them 10 out of 10 games if they were to play a series.

Not sure about Waverly! Tough non conference schedule but it doesn't do you much good if you aren't competitive in the games.

Anyway, my 2 cents...Anxiously awaiting your take on the conference.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I'll open with my opinion of the league as I see it going into conference play.

I'll start with last year's champ, the Valley Indians. Valley is a much different looking squad this year, from the personnel on the field, to the way the offensive system is utilized. Last year the Indians spread teams out and exploited one weakness or another with the duo of a dual threat QB and a dual threat RB, behind a veteran and sizeable line. They featured an extremely large number of seniors with a ton of varsity starts under their belts. All of those things added up to what many felt they should, which was an undefeated regular season and a league title, along with a Regional Runner-Up finish. This fall, the Indians have a whole host of new faces in the line-up both offensively and defensively, but are putting up very similiar numbers on the scoreboard. This year the Indians feature a committee of running backs, led by junior Nate Arnett; and a senior QB who came into the season as one of the few very experienced players, but at WR and on defense. Through the first five games, Will Howard has established himself as one of the better running QB's in the area, and is similar to a big TB/small FB playing QB. His passing game as progressed nicely over the last couple of weeks and is going to need to continue to improve if the Indians hope to repeat as league champs. Up front, the Indians have put together a very sizeable line with one true veteran in huge OT JJ Hettinger (6'3"-320lbs) who now has over 20 starts on the offensive line in his career. He is surrounded by a solid and large group, of newcomers who have all done a very solid job through the first five weeks allowing the Indians to rush for well over 350 yards on average per night. The biggest weakness with this group of linemen, however, isn't their overall inexperience, it's their lack of depth. Aside from the Jr's and Sr's starting up front for the Indians, there isn't any experience at all and zero upperclassmen to step in. Staying healthy up front is an absolute MUST for the Indians throughout conference play in what is always a very physical league. The receiving corps begins with an extension of the line in converted OL turned TE Hayden Dunn, who has perhaps the best hands on the team. Dunn had a tremendous basketball season last year as a soph proving he has the athleticsm necessary to go along with his lineman size and equal a dangerous weapon at TE. He garnered experience on special teams last year as the long snapper, and has stepped up nicely so far for the new-look Indians. On the perimeter, the Indians have a host of new faces in Ethan Clark-Holbrook, Zach Shope, Dakota Baker, Jordan West and Ryan Brown. All five kids have had excellent success in basketball and are capable athletes, who have waited their turn to play football at the varsity level. Their progression is going to be a big part of Howard's progression throwing the football. Defensively the Indians are led by Arnett from his LB position where he is surrounded by Baker as well as senior Matt Rawlins. I believe the three of them have either led the team in tackles or been in the top 2-3 each night. A big reason for that is the play of the D-line which has continued to get better each week. With the ability of teams like West and Minford to run the ball powerfully, the play of these two units is going to be huge in those games. In the secondary, there is more youth as only Howard came into the season with starting experience. This group is definitely going to have to play big in games with Waverly and particularly against Wheelersburg who features the best passing attack in southeastern Ohio this year in my opinion (I'll have more on the Pirates later when I get to their team report, but just know that I'm as impressed with the Pirates ability to move the ball down field through the air quickly as I am any other facet of the game that any other team in the area features). The Indians are going to need their D-line to win the battle at the line of scrimmage in order to not only free-up the LB's to run and make plays, but also give the secondary an opportunity to fend off some of the better receivers in the area this year. I believe that the biggest glaring weakness for the Indians is nothing new, as it has seemed to be a hinderance for Valley for years....special teams. The kicking game and kick coverage are going to have to be solidified by the time next Friday rolls around and beyond. In league play, every point is going to be crucial, as is field position.

Overall, I believe Valley is one of the top 3 teams in the league this year and has a legitimate shot at repeating as league champs, as long as they can stay healthy and avoid having to play from behind. I believe the passing game can and will be successful, but it is not the type of passing game that can thrive by being a primary means of moving the offense, as it has been able to be the last couple of seasons. This year, the passing game is going to be dependent upon the running game consistently gaining positive yards and avoiding 3rd & long situations, as well as dependent upon the defense keeping the team in every game so the offense isn't forced to throw the ball 20-25 times per game.

That is my assessment. I'm looking forward to reading input from other Valley fans, with more insight than I as well as questions from fans from other schools interested in knowing more about the Indians 8)

My next post will be on one of my other top three projected teams with a legitimate shot at winning the league title (perhaps the favorite of many to win the title following non-league play), the Wheelersburg Pirates. I will post it sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

If I have the conference rated correctly this weeks matchups pit the top 3 vs. the bottom 3. All the of these games should be pretty lopsided. Burg gets a bye this week to heal up and let the youngsters get some reps so we won't learn anything about them. Minford and Valley are coming in 5-0. Minford has had to battle a couple times to stay clean. Are Piketon and Oak Hill really that good? Valley has steamrolled through the first 5. Has Valley really reloaded or just a product of an unexpected weak schedule? If either of these two end up in a close game this week my questions might be answered. However I don't think it's going to happen. I look for minford to throttle West and Valley the same with Waverly.

Preseason I thought West, Minford and Burg would be a three way tie at the top. Now having 5 weeks too analyze the conference I see it a little differently. My revised prediction is :

Burg 9-1/5-0
Minford/Valley one of em 9-1/4-1 the other 8-2/3-2 too early to pick
West 5-5/2-3
Waverly 2-8/1-4
Northwest 0-10/0-5

I might be a little biased towards burg but after watching them dismantle Jackson tonight. I just don't think anyone in the conference can stop them. Very tough for highschool teams to defend

N4da'score
Freshman Team

Post by N4da'score »

Valley will be ready for the challenge. Make no mistake about it the Indians will be ready to RUMBLE and defend the title as SOC 2 CHAMPS :aaaaa59

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Obviously Wheelersburg is the favorite, but anything can happen. If Valley or Minford catch Burg on a night like Coal Grove (Indians and Falcons are signifigantly better than the Hornets) than they can pull the "upset" if you will. Looking forward to it!

N4da'score
Freshman Team

Post by N4da'score »

Remember both Burg & Minford come to Valley this season......and that ain't no cake walk by no means. And no repeat from 2 yrs ago. This is a different BEAST of a Valley team of the past....so get your BIG BOY panties on fellas.............VALLEY DEFENDS THE TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

chicken_coop wrote:Obviously Wheelersburg is the favorite, but anything can happen. If Valley or Minford catch Burg on a night like Coal Grove (Indians and Falcons are signifigantly better than the Hornets) than they can pull the "upset" if you will. Looking forward to it!
That's a good point coop. That CG game was really weird. For almost 3 quarters it looked like another rout in the making then all of a sudden BAM it's a ball game. Don't know of it was a letdown after a tough Ironton game or the team let up or what. But I do agree if Burg plays like that again it could be bad. But then again Burg rarely makes the same mistake twice!

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

after watching vallys jv play last year i knew they would be good.but don't think they can beat the burg.but they should get second.i think west,waverly,and minford,all have the abilety to take third.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I have posted (and got crushed for it) a few times how I thought the Burg was a good team but I wasn't that impressed after watching the Ironton game. I have changed my opinion after watching them tonight. The Burg is the team to beat. They are beatable, but you cannot fall behind.

I thought tonight that Jackson could have ran the ball, but once they got behind and the super aggressive Burg defense could smell blood, it was over. I feel that Minford or Valley can both run the ball and keep the Burg offense off the field, but both teams' secondaries would have to play perfect games to keep the Pirates to 21-24 points and give themselves a chance to win it.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i think it's gonna be a shootout, i'd love to see valley/burg game myself.

Jim Mora
Freshman Team

Post by Jim Mora »

The question I think is..... How in the World are you gonna stop Eddie Miller? Appears to be a serious problem thus far for defenses.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Yes, the Miller kid is a stand out this year. Looks like alot of the SOC2 teams have some really solid players but no other team has a Shank, Pendleton, Keller, Yates, or Patrick Lewis. Not taking away from these players cause there are some exceptional ones..just no one that goes BEYOND exceptional except Miller and Lewis of Ironton(YET). Always helps in a big way at the D4 D5 levels. Good Luck to all these teams.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

My take on the Wheelersburg Pirates going into league play:

As with many of you, I have the Pirates as my pick to win the league going into the start of conference play. I don't think there should have been any doubt going into the season that young Eddie Miller was going to be very good at QB for the Pirates, but I don't think any of the "experts" could have foreseen the type of explosion onto the scene young Mr Miller has had through the first five games. The kid put on an absolute clinic last night!! As impressive as that was, I was sold on a throw he made midway through the game Week One vs Ironton. I was standing along the fence line near the 25 yard line on the Burg sideline. Miller threw a ball (I'm not even sure which receiver it was to) that landed perfectly in his receiver's hands along the sideline as the receiver came out of his break. My exact words to a former Pirate great & former assistant was, "That ball looked like it was coming to us when he let it go, but it was perfect!" My friend agreed, and at that moment I knew this kid has that trust in his receivers that 95+% of D-5 HS QB's don't have! Speaking of his receivers, they are as balanced with the attributes they bring to the table as E Miller is balanced with the way he hurts teams with his arm & legs! Dylan Miller is perhaps going to be the best WR to come out of southeastern Ohio!! I know those are done big words, but the kid is 6'4", tough for his thin frame, can run, can jump, has excellent hands, and his two most important traits...he will go after every ball thrown his way with the mindset that its HIS and nobody is taking it from him and he BLOCKS!! To me, a receiver that can/will block downfield as well as on the perimeter is worth his weight in gold! Then they've got "little" Tyler Claxon. What that kid lacks in size, he more than doubles in effort and clutch performance! Claxon seems to be the guy that comes up with the key 3rd down catch to keep a drive going, or you'll see him just refuse to go down when in a defenders grasp, picking up extra yards. As much as the Miller's are special players with next level potential, I think Claxon could be one of the biggest keys to the offense and the entire team! They also have super soph's Wade Martin and Austin May. Martin is another in the mold of D Miller, big physical receiver with excellent athletic ability (1-hitter in the state championship baseball game as a darn freshman), who will flat out go get the ball out of the air. At TE, Ross Pyles has been a solid contributor and brings some size and physicality to the offense. Aaron Cowgill appears to be asserting himself as ground option #2 to take some slack off E Miller, which is going to be huge in league play with how physical the league always is. Up front, they don't do a lot that stands out, but what they do is their job. They consistently give E Miller enough time to make plays and they haven't allowed him to take a beating thus far. Defensively, as has been mentioned, the Pirates are aggressive and they just keep coming after you! They aren't big, but they are physical for their size, as I've yet to see a kid on the defensive side of the ball that doesn't just lay the wood and swarm the ball! This team has also shown an ability to keep battling when behind (Ironton) and maintain when up early (Jackson).

I really believe a lot like Crab's Bro (I'm sure nobody is shocked by that lol)... I think the only way teams like Minford and Valley can beat the Pirates is to prevent them from getting out in front early. I believe, particularly the Indians are capable of doing some similar things that Ironton did successfully against the Pirates. I felt like the Tigers were able to out muscle the Pirates up front enough to manage 3-4 yards consistently, preventing 3rd & long situations. That is a MUST against the Pirates. Their athletes will eat you alive if you get yourself into 3rd & long against them all night, they ARE that good! Overall, they're beatable, but I think they're the clear-cut front runner going into conference play!

Up next on my list, the Minford Falcons...

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Miller is a great QB, but I went up to Piketon with a buddy when west played at chilli, and I think Sean Berry #11 for Minford is a very dynamic player as well, and is unique enough to present problems every week. I think Miller is the best player in the league, but I feel that Berry has a good argument for #2, and I guess we will see week 8 when the Falcons travel to Burg. West takes on the challenge of heading over to falcon land next friday. Go Siders!

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Wow when I saw them I thought Austin Carter was hands down the best player minford had on both sides of the ball.

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

You don't have to wait untill week 8, I can tell you right now the Burg will win.

Return to “Football”