Portsmouth to the s.o.c.

KOOLKOACH
Freshman Team

Portsmouth to the s.o.c.

Post by KOOLKOACH »

I really believe that it's time to add portsmouth to the s.o.c.! It is very costly to their schools to have to play in the league they are in! Come on AD's the time has come, they are a scioto co. school it's the least we can do!! Your thoughts.....

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Portsmouth to the s.o.c.

Post by Bleeding Red »

If Northwest is dropping down to SOC I it would be a good move to let them in. I would rather most SOC II schools play Portsmouth every year rather than pick up another cupcake non conference opponent. Heck they are playing each other anyway, and Portsmouth has proven they are not what they used to be.

Let them in...........with one small stipulation...........no coaching changes allowed for the next 10 years. LOL.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Been discussed at over and over in the past. Will never happen.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The SOC would be a good fit for Portsmouth as the SVC would be for Waverly. Powers to be need to make that happen.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

They need in --badly -- and quickly . They might not win a conference title in anything other than hoops --EVER .

NTHZONE
Waterboy

Post by NTHZONE »

So who is putting there thumb on them ? I agree let em in !

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

as far as football goes. they are really down. and in my opinion need a coaching change a long time ago. but when portsmouth is on, they are a handful man. it's been sad watching the downfall of this once majestic football program. i have a big ole soft spot for portsmouth. and want to see them fielding great quality teams. they may as well be in the soc. they play so many of them already. i think it's time. and the seoal is cracking at it's foundation, 3 years from now , i look for that league to be picked over by all the other territorial leagues looking to expand, with 4 buck a gallon gas, and as spread out as that league is. it's just a matter of time.it may be the oldest league in the state, but demographics , and poor traveling fans, attributed to a crappy economy, and outrageous fuel prices will close
this league down.i'd add portsmouth if i were the soc. you talk about helping a conference out.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Don't see it ever happening.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Again, if the SOC Divisions I and II were separate entities, then I believe Portsmouth would have been already apart of the conference on the first vote. However, every school gets to vote schools in, which happened to be the Trojans downfall to get in.Yes Northwest is moving down to Division I in the conference, but only in football. As much as I would like to see Portsmouth in the conference, I don't think it will happen.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I was told it only takes one no vote to keep them out and with both the SOC 1 and II voting they will never get in. Maybe someone closer to it can tell us how it works and why the little SOC 1 schools have a vote since some dont even have football and would never play Portsmouth.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I've talked to one AD about this subject. He talks to the others. It will never happen.

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

its sad that they arent very good with that beautiful stadium but it would help the soc i mean who doesnt want to play at portsmouthand they might get some bigger crowds because of that place and its right in the center of all of the soc schoolsits a good move to even just add them for football

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think since it involves PUBLIC schools, they should make the voting PUBLIC!

That way the ones that want to blackball them out can answer public questions on WHY they voted the way they did.

There is always another alternative....the SOC II schools can break off on their own. Simply erase votes from AD's at Green, ND, East etc that dont even matter in the grand scheme of things anyways.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:I was told it only takes one no vote to keep them out and with both the SOC 1 and II voting they will never get in. Maybe someone closer to it can tell us how it works and why the little SOC 1 schools have a vote since some dont even have football and would never play Portsmouth.
It is not just a matter of playing Portsmouth. It is about one of the SOC II schools moving down to play in SOC I. Why would the small schools want to play another school that is two or three times their size in conference play? Everyone talks about how it would benefit the SOC. Just how............Where was the Portsmouth fans at the Valley game? The pictures I saw show very few!

Don't get me wrong, however! I would like to see the OVC and the SOC I & 11 combine adding Ironton, Portsmouth, Piketon and maybe Jackson and then split the conference three or four ways depending on enrollment.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

2012-2013 enrollment (boys)

Jackson 295
Fairland 235
Waverly 235
South Point 192
Northwest 187
Minford 187
Chesapeake 187
Piketon 179
Portsmouth 179
Ironton 174
Rock Hill 170
West 162
Oak Hill 160
Wheelersburg 155
Valley 126
South Webster 108
Symmes Valley 96
Western 92
Eastern 90
East 74
Clay 65
Green 64
New Boston 53
Notre Dame 37
Ironton SJ 17

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I'd like to see Portsmouth enter the conference, but I doubt it will ever happen since the smaller schools won't vote them in. The really sad thing is how far the Trojans have fallen in the last 5 years or so. I know they have the athletes, so it has to come down to coaching. May be time for a major overhaul.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Bleeding Red wrote:I think since it involves PUBLIC schools, they should make the voting PUBLIC!
That way the ones that want to blackball them out can answer public questions on WHY they voted the way they did.

There is always another alternative....the SOC II schools can break off on their own. Simply erase votes from AD's at Green, ND, East etc that dont even matter in the grand scheme of things anyways.

100% correct!!

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Never going to happen. I think it should but it isn't going to anytime soon.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

PHS fans are so fed up with the way the games are goind it appears only the die hard and family are going to keep going, imo..PHS is 1-2 in the SOC this year with Minfor more than likely to take them out and the West team they beat was not the West we have seen the past few years, and even then it was such a close game West still could have won..The SOC will NOT let PHS in,,,why should they, they alread play each other without having to worry about the league standings,,best of both worlds for the SOC teams..But,,it would be great to see them in the league,,as mentioned before PHS is not what it once was and most likely never will be..The idea of only the upper divison voting is a great idea...

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Portsmouth will be in the OVC and be happy there and say look at what you could have had! Sometimes pride is worse than politics. Schools are now looking to where they can compete and afford to play. Sad to say the schools in South east Ohio are just simply getting smaller and it don't look to getting any better.
I still believe in the next few years Portsmouth will be going to the OVC and so will G.A. I fear Ironton will be alone in this shake up because of simple politics just as Portsmouth is enduring now with the county schools. Sometimes it isn't just about the kids it's pride and pay back for being the best and being proud of it.

Return to “Football”