Gallia Academy vs River Valley 7on 7

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Gallia Academy vs River Valley 7on 7

Post by Rvbballdude »

Raiders were sharp,and did some good things,i think it was RV 5 GA 3 Varsity and the younger guys RV 2 GA 1 JV Raider freshman qb is impressive!!

Mightymanchamp
Waterboy

Re: Gallia Academy vs River Valley 7on 7

Post by Mightymanchamp »

Good job Raiders. did a great job on defence and whobrey was throwing some good balls.davies had 3 touchdowns very good day.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I was at the 7 on 7 a little impressed with both teams, and some questions. First on River Valley side of ball. Will they play out of shot gun 100% of the time or did they just do that for 7 on 7. I was impressed with a couple of river valleys athletes. Probably biggest thing i came away from with is i think they may have some hard times throwing a lot this year because i think quarterback will have to throw over lineman and not have clear vision he did not seem very tall. I could be wrong but that was my impression.

Thoughts on gallia academy was offensively i was impressed. i was glad to see they took most snaps from under center to more emulate game conditions.They looked very good when all first team was in there. I think Cody needs a few more snaps with first team guys to get timing down. when he came in it was a little off. Nice to see the quick short passing routes and the effective middle routes. The couple of deep balls also looked good. Only problem i scene on offensive side of ball was the 2 or 3 times we sent everyone deep like last year the quarterback was left holding the ball no one open when we had routes at many different levels we had plenty of open receivers.

Defensively for gallia i was a little disappointed. We have a couple of technique issues i think we need to clear up or maybe they are blown coverages. But it seems to me just like last year we are not in position for deep balls thrown straight down the middle. we seem to be playing an outside technique and leaving that throw open. The other problem was on crossing or slant patterns. we seemed to be playing outside and trailing instead of on top in front. i would much rather play that way and if they beat me on the tougher out throw so be it.

Gallia's freshman quarterback has came a long way in 6 weeks since camp. If he improves that much more in next 6 weeks he will be just fine by the time the season starts. He still threw some balls in the dirt and some way out of reach but his throw is much more controlled and a lot of throws he could not make in camp he is making now.

As far as overall goes i think it was very even i have no idea what the score was they had started before i got there at six o'clock. but unless i missed something gallia scored every time Jarrell was QB. I think Gallia was missing a few guys or maybe i have no idea what the depth chart looks like but i know there are some sophomores that if they are not in the varsity rotation would be better then some of the kids we had out there during the j.v. portion. but who knows maybe some of those guys are on vacation or are playing different positions or maybe these kids are outperforming them i don't know.

I have scene no previous Gallia 7 on 7's so i don't know how to compare it but i can tell you that in the past 6 weeks since camp it is night and day. hopefully the line is progressing at same rate. one last note on Gallia i think a lot of people are going to be impressed by Reid Eastman by year end. That kid is going to break some tackles and make some kids miss.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

kvnchambers wrote:I was at the 7 on 7 a little impressed with both teams, and some questions. First on River Valley side of ball. Will they play out of shot gun 100% of the time or did they just do that for 7 on 7. I was impressed with a couple of river valleys athletes. Probably biggest thing i came away from with is i think they may have some hard times throwing a lot this year because i think quarterback will have to throw over lineman and not have clear vision he did not seem very tall. I could be wrong but that was my impression.

Thoughts on gallia academy was offensively i was impressed. i was glad to see they took most snaps from under center to more emulate game conditions.They looked very good when all first team was in there. I think Cody needs a few more snaps with first team guys to get timing down. when he came in it was a little off. Nice to see the quick short passing routes and the effective middle routes. The couple of deep balls also looked good. Only problem i scene on offensive side of ball was the 2 or 3 times we sent everyone deep like last year the quarterback was left holding the ball no one open when we had routes at many different levels we had plenty of open receivers.

Defensively for gallia i was a little disappointed. We have a couple of technique issues i think we need to clear up or maybe they are blown coverages. But it seems to me just like last year we are not in position for deep balls thrown straight down the middle. we seem to be playing an outside technique and leaving that throw open. The other problem was on crossing or slant patterns. we seemed to be playing outside and trailing instead of on top in front. i would much rather play that way and if they beat me on the tougher out throw so be it.

Gallia's freshman quarterback has came a long way in 6 weeks since camp. If he improves that much more in next 6 weeks he will be just fine by the time the season starts. He still threw some balls in the dirt and some way out of reach but his throw is much more controlled and a lot of throws he could not make in camp he is making now.

As far as overall goes i think it was very even i have no idea what the score was they had started before i got there at six o'clock. but unless i missed something gallia scored every time Jarrell was QB. I think Gallia was missing a few guys or maybe i have no idea what the depth chart looks like but i know there are some sophomores that if they are not in the varsity rotation would be better then some of the kids we had out there during the j.v. portion. but who knows maybe some of those guys are on vacation or are playing different positions or maybe these kids are outperforming them i don't know.

I have scene no previous Gallia 7 on 7's so i don't know how to compare it but i can tell you that in the past 6 weeks since camp it is night and day. hopefully the line is progressing at same rate. one last note on Gallia i think a lot of people are going to be impressed by Reid Eastman by year end. That kid is going to break some tackles and make some kids miss.
They are a shot gun team,but ran the ball more than passed last year successfully with Williams. Whobrey will be fine seeing over linemen he is 6' and stands upright on his motion,he has come a long way. He reads much better than last year,Clemente is a huge addition and a good 6' athlete very good hands and speed. RV skilled players looked a bit bigger than GA Dovenbarger at TE 6' 4" Brown prob 6' 3" both have good hands and can run RV seemed to be as fast.Clagg or Davies looked to be the fastest on the field. I look for the Raiders to throw to set up the run Lewis at 6' and prob 215 is a hammer!! He impressed me on a couple tackles where he just hit a burst ran down Clagg and Eastman in the middle of the field.Both teams had kids that were not there. I hope this is a good sign, I hope NOT THE SAME OLD RAIDERS!! As impressive as they have looked in preseason since 2003. I love how Coach Sparling teaches fundamentals and the kids listen,He is a really promising young coach!
they have some really big linemen who were not there tonight, RV could be on the right track. Weightroom is evident for the Raiders,several kids benching high 200's some around 300 really nice to see!

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

The rv kids did look stronger and you could tell they been in the weight room, congrats looks like they are headed in the right direction.good luck this season

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I didn't realize Jarrell didn't play. watching from almost in end zone looking around the Gallia players some series looked really good and other whole series looked like timing was off. since i scene Cody in a few series i thought they were alternating. guess my take on that was wrong.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

kvnchambers wrote:I didn't realize Jarrell didn't play. watching from almost in end zone looking around the Gallia players some series looked really good and other whole series looked like timing was off. since i scene Cody in a few series i thought they were alternating. guess my take on that was wrong.
imho cody call has a better arm than jerrell and if he got the reps is just as good? not like we replaced braxton miller with joe bauserman,were still searching on offense and in the wing t the qb has his back to the defense too long,not a passing offense unless your throwing screens. most series rv defenders blanketed our receivers,joe montana would have had a tough time squeezing balls in.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

WOW....Seems like to much emphasis being placed on this event....LOL... I am glad both teams looked impressive.. I am going to withhold judgement until we actually start playing football... Need to see how we block, tackle, kick, play calling, special teams, ect before I pass judgement on either teams progress.... Its just about fair time and we all know what that means.... Put on the pads and let the season begin...... Any comments about RV's new field?????

dewdrinker
Freshman Team

Post by dewdrinker »

Jerod is enthusiastic and tells his kids what is expected by him and then .. how to correct mistakes they make . You have to do that as a head coach. That flows through to the other coaches as well as. I look for rv to be much improved over last and continued improvement . Good luck this year .

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Is Jeff still involved in this program? If he is that is all good I would imagine.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

The General wrote:Is Jeff still involved in this program? If he is that is all good I would imagine.
No Jeff's involved at the varsity or jv level i think he helped in the jr high last year. sparling has a prety good staff and the biggest addition imho is coach white from OU,the weight coach some of the boys said that when he is at weight lifting they can hardly wallk out of the weight room,it has shown so far.

good luck to both teams this year.

Gallia93
Waterboy

Post by Gallia93 »

I think the general might be talking about Jeff Golden, and you are thinking of Jeff Ward.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Freshman QB Dayton Hardway is going to be the real deal. I would almost like to see him and Whobrey split with Whobrey playing some in the slot. I think Whobrey would make an excellent receiver at certain spots. I'm just so sold on Hardway and I think he should play with the big boys right away. He will be the best QB to ever play at RV. I'm not saying Whobrey is bad, but I really think Dauton already has a better arm and is if I'm not mistaken is actually a little bigger. Don't be afraid to put the freshman out there. Whobrey has a lot of other roles he is more than capable of filling.

galliagrad89
Freshman Team

Post by galliagrad89 »

That's why you aren't coaching. He is young and has a lot to learn. Whobrey will be fine.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

^^^^^^ I have to agree.
Let him play JV and get some success first instead of throwing him into a fire.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

GalliaGrad89 wrote:That's why you aren't coaching. He is young and has a lot to learn. Whobrey will be fine.
Just my opinion, you don't have to be a jerk. Typical RV attitude. He can't possibly be ready as a freshman right? He is the best option. Coach Golden started as a freshman. I think he could give Dayton real advice. Point blank, he is better than Whobrey. I didn't say I was the Coach but I know football. I don't give you crap when you put your freaking opinions on here. It ticks me off when people like you try to bring down people who have an opinion because you have nothing better to do. You dont know anything about me. Why is your opinion better than mine? Shut up already.

iluvgahs
Waterboy

Post by iluvgahs »

If you have not noticed that Jeff golden and his brother were natural born division 1 athletes and still when Jeff started his freshman year he was paired with possibly the best receivers ever at gallia like jaymee haggarty hed just throw the ball in the air and they'd find it starting as a freshman is a rarity on a team with capable upper classmen and I didnt see any freshmen at the 7 on 7 with that ability

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Dayton is the best option in my opinion. When you have a history like that of River Valley, why not go with the young guy as opposed to the guy you benched last season? It's time to move the program forward. Why go with a senior who who did not consistently get the job done last season when you can start moving forward with a freshman who is the future of your program and is just as good if not a much better passer? I did talk to a player yesterday that said they are running an offense with many different personnel packages, so dint be surprised if the two QB's do split time to a degree. I think they should start splitting time and if Dayton proves to be the better option, which I think he will, then give him the majority of the snaps. I like Whobrey and still think he should be on the field in some capacity.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I wanna know what RVBalldude thinks about this. Can you see Dayton being the guy?

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

iluvgahs wrote:If you have not noticed that Jeff golden and his brother were natural born division 1 athletes and still when Jeff started his freshman year he was paired with possibly the best receivers ever at gallia like jaymee haggarty hed just throw the ball in the air and they'd find it starting as a freshman is a rarity on a team with capable upper classmen and I didnt see any freshmen at the 7 on 7 with that ability

i am a gahs grad and support the blue in all sports but this might be stretching it a bit. what division I school did they play at?

Return to “Football”