Logan Applies to OCC

Chieftain
Varsity

Logan Applies to OCC

Post by Chieftain »

Had heard this before I left for vacation and found it after I got back. Heres what my "spies" says is being considered --

The schools of the Mid State League as well as Logan & Chilly may be taking MSL membership, but the real desire is that many of these schools would "fit" in a NEW OCC division and the OCC is definitely considering doing that. The talk also is that a realignment of the OCC is in order, so the actual membership may be up for discussion and changes.

This confirms what I heard some time back -- that Logan would only leave the SEOAL for the OCC and not some other league. Speculation is that many of the MSL schools and Logan & Chilly have ALL applied to the OCC and that it is only a matter of drawing up new divisions and assigning teams based on near equal enrollment and projected growth.

The Fat Lady may be getting ready to sing.

http://blog.dispatch.com/highschoolspor ... gues.shtml

Chieftain
Varsity

Re: Logan Applies to OCC

Post by Chieftain »

Several years ago, I was home for a game at Logan and in the stands, some friends reported that both coaches & administration wanted the OCC but understood that it might take a move to an area Columbus league building contacts which lead to an eventual move to the OCC. MSL was one option.

Yet, Canal, TV , Hamilton, Whitehall and Bexley are members and they want out to join the OCC too. Add in Logan & Chilly, both of whom are courted by these SAME teams now in the MSL and the new OCC Division starts to take shape. Marion Harding remains a skunk at the party.

If the OCC offers, Logan is gone. If the talks make a future move to the OCC as a whole new division, Logan may opt to go with the MSL before most of the new MSL division moves enmass to the OCC in a few years.

I'd now say Logan will be gone in a couple of years, max, either way. And, it will occur as it was outlined to me several years ago before any chatter of this was made.

Bigger times ahead for the Chiefs.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I wonder what is going through the minds of the AD's at Warren, Jackson, Gallia Academy and Portsmouth?

It will be next to impossible to keep those four schools together in one league because of travel.

If the TVC expanded, Portsmouth would be the odd man out.

If the SOC or OVC expanded, Warren would be the odd man out.

Or they all could end up independents and just play each other in those final weeks of the season, which will still create long travel distances throughout the season.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

I have spoke to a VERY good source and Logan HAS NOT applied to the OCC. This information that is on that "blog" is inaccurate. The "spies" are not telling you the truth.

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

Well i know someone on the staff at logan that says it is very true they are gone if accepted to either central oho league as i predicted last year

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

I stand by my comments. I have family on the staff and other very good sources who have told me Logan did not apply to the OCC.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Yet, who can you believe -- the OCC Comissioner who tells a Dispatch sports reporter they did and a "source" who you say said they didn't ? Dispatch must not have good connections with the OCC in Columbus, huh ?

BTW, I have heard nothing but the OCC for years now. And strange that the OCC Commish would cite the "other" big school members of the MSL who are courting Logan ( and Chilly) as ALSO having applied to the OCC while everyone knows that the OCC is due for a realignment AND looking at expansion.

Strange ! Must be in the local water supply.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

All I know is Logan didnt go calling them............

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

i heard about it from somebody that knows a staff member. dont know what to believe. just have to wait and see.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

My sources tells me that a move to the MSL is almost done, and that being said, the next move will be the OCC calling on all MSL big school members in 3-5 years to join the OCC Mark my word.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Here is another article on this that I found...

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?SectionI ... eID=190622
6/30/2011 4:45:00 PM

Teays Valley expresses interest in OCC

By The Associated Press

With the changing league landscape in prep sports, five Mid-State League schools, including Teays Valley, have expressed interest about the possibility of joining the Ohio Capital Conference.

“The schools sent letters of interest to the OCC to keep their options open with several schools leaving the Mid-State League to reform the Licking County League,” MSL commissioner Jim Hayes said.

Three of the five MSL schools who expressed interest in joining the OCC come from the Buckeye Division — Teays Valley, Canal Winchester and Hamilton Township.

The other two league schools — Whitehall, which was one of five schools to originally form the OCC in 1966, and Bexley — come from the Ohio Division, which is set to lose Licking Valley, Heath, Granville, Lakewood and Newark Catholic to the LCL following the 2012-13 school year. Licking Heights has also decided to leave the MSL-Cardinal Division to join the LCL.

Following the departure of the six Licking County schools, the MSL will be left with 18 schools in four central Ohio counties.

The MSL is working on a plan to add five schools to try and keep its three-division format.

“The league’s expansion and realignment committee presented a proposal to, excluding the Licking County schools, 17 of our 18 schools who attended a meeting last week to add five schools and have three divisions determined solely by enrollment,” Hayes said.

The schools include Logan and Chillicothe of the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League, along with Fairfield Christian, Grove City Christian and Worthington Christian.

If the plan is approved, MSL would then have two divisions of eight teams and another division of seven teams, according to Hayes.

“If we can make these changes with adding a balance of larger and smaller schools and divide the schools into divisions by enrollment, then I believe schools like Teays Valley and Canal Winchester would be more open to staying in the MSL,” Hayes said.

The MSL will meet again in August to further consider the proposal.

Logan and Chillicothe, a former member of the OCC, have also expressed interest in the OCC, along with Marion Harding.

The OCC — one of the largest conferences in the country with 32 schools in four divisions — was also hit by the reformation of the LCL, as Capital Division member Watkins Memorial voted to join its Licking County counterparts in the new league. The move leaves seven schools, five of which are north of the Columbus outerbelt, in the Capital Division.

A statement released earlier this week by the OCC stated, “The Executive Committee has asked the Alignment and Expansion Committee to construct preliminary options and recommendations to present to the Executive Committee in September while continuing formal discussions with leadership of schools who have expressed interest in joining the conference.”

Calls placed to OCC commissioner Dave Cecutti were not returned on Wednesday.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I wouldn't want to join the OCC--those boys move around too much being so close together in the Columbus area--would work against a school coming in.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I wonder what is going through the minds of the AD's at Warren, Jackson, Gallia Academy and Portsmouth?

It will be next to impossible to keep those four schools together in one league because of travel.

If the TVC expanded, Portsmouth would be the odd man out.

If the SOC or OVC expanded, Warren would be the odd man out.

Or they all could end up independents and just play each other in those final weeks of the season, which will still create long travel distances throughout the season.

Right now all is quiet at Warren, but I would speculate that if this all goes down I see Warren applying again to get in the TVC if they make a large school division and then who else comes along for the rest of the division Jackson?Gallia? I have even heard a rumor that if it would go down that Marietta would consider getting in instead of going up 77 to play.......as the football turns it's silly season again.

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

gahs4ever wrote:I never saw Logan in the MSL and I too have sources in Logan. But even as I was being assured of this last winter, I remarked to Jottings that he didnt say Logan wasnt leaving the SEOAL. He only said the MSL was not the place.

This makes sense.
Not to be picking on anyone 4Eva but I remember your remark when someone said Logan was leaving being" Logan isn't going any where" I don't know how far back these threads go if you look it up, I am positive. (: Because i was surprised that someone from Gallia would comment so sternly on this subject?

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

Tobias wrote:Make an SOC III division with Portsmouth, Jackson, Gallia Academy, Ironton, etc.

:mrgreen:
First off Ironton isn't going to join a league!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

ole_Bobcat wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:I never saw Logan in the MSL and I too have sources in Logan. But even as I was being assured of this last winter, I remarked to Jottings that he didnt say Logan wasnt leaving the SEOAL. He only said the MSL was not the place.

This makes sense.
Not to be picking on anyone 4Eva but I remember your remark when someone said Logan was leaving being" Logan isn't going any where" I don't know how far back these threads go if you look it up, I am positive. (: Because i was surprised that someone from Gallia would comment so sternly on this subject?
At that time it seemed like it--- plus if I can remember 4ever had talked to someone from Logan that also thought Logan would go no where. It has come down to where if Logan doesn't do something soon they might be the only one left in the SEOAL.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Logan's long time AD (from Gallia), I'm sure, would like to see the SEOAL survive. But like it or not, in these tough times, the cost of travel is major... I think Logan is gone, but I only hope they can schedule Gallia and Jackson in football as non league games.....

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

javagt wrote:Logan's long time AD (from Gallia), I'm sure, would like to see the SEOAL survive. But like it or not, in these tough times, the cost of travel is major... I think Logan is gone, but I only hope they can schedule Gallia and Jackson in football as non league games.....
You are up late

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

is it really cost??????? or distance traveled????? not so sure?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

footballfanatic1 wrote:is it really cost??????? or distance traveled????? not so sure?
what else would it be?

Return to “Football”