PVC Pre-season Talk

I drain 3's
Varsity

PVC Pre-season Talk

Post by I drain 3's »

Let's try and keep this civil. Any and all info is welcome here. Post schedules, thoughts, anything you want.

Caldwell has replaced Beallsville and Zanesville Rosecrans with Harrison Central and Wheeling Central. Also, the Barnesville game has been moved from week 3 to week 6. Also, with the new enrollments being released, it looks as though Caldwell may drop back down to Division 6 after their two year stint in Division 5.

PVC is probably Central's to lose, as it has been the past couple years. Kinchen should only get better as a QB, and it seems the coaching staff always does an excellent job at finding the right players to replace any lost production. Caldwell will have to replace some key players, and they're schedule isn't exactly the easiest, although they do get some of the tougher games at home. (HC, MC, Barnesville, Shenandoah) The "new" coaching staff will have some work to do, but with Snodgrass and Rossiter returning in the backfield, they should have some good RB's to take some of the pressure off whoever the new QB will be.

Trail and River will most likely still be at the bottom. Frontier graduated a lot of their top weapons I believe, including possibly the best QB in the PVC in Fickisien. Fort Frye has some weapons, but lack of numbers and experience could hurt them. Not quite sure who all Shenandoah has returning, to be honest.

Let's hear some other's thoughts on the how the PVC will turn out this year.
Last edited by I drain 3's on Fri May 06, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayhawkpimp021
Waterboy

Re: PVC Pre-season Talk

Post by jayhawkpimp021 »

Shenandoah returns RB/LB Shane Crum as well as the Leasure's.. Hurst is back as a more confident, well rounded, experienced quarterback.. A few linemen will return as well and I hear they should be getting more linemen coming out this season I see Shenandoah going 6-4 or 7-3 this year.. Caldwell vs Shenandoah will be one of the better match ups this year considering central is the odds on favorite unless there is an upset and I don't see any other teams competing in the PVC

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

I don't really think anyone will challenge Central for the PVC title. Hell, seems like no one has came within 30 points of them the last couple years. But as far as records go, I could see Fort Frye up somewhere around the 7-3 mark. They've got some weapons, and the front part of their schedule is the easiest, so it should give the kids who haven't played varsity or are switching positions time to get accustomed before they go up against stiffer competition.

I couldn't remember if Crum was a junior or senior last season. To be honest, I don't see Shenandoah with a 7-3 record this coming season. Martins Ferry, Shadyside, Barnesville, MC, and Caldwell should all be tough games. Assuming they win the other 5 games, I don't see them having a winning record against these 5.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

I see Shenandoah losing two games in the PVC, Central and Caldwell. Plus, the games against Shadyside and Barnesville are away games, which only make them tougher. Shadyside hasn't had a losing season in the last 10 years. While i'm sure they lost some key players, it seems as they always reload. I just think they'll be to much for the Zeps. As for Barnesville, they have some decent players, but from what i've read on some other sites, coaching seems to be a big problem, or at least thats the way some fans make it seem. If they can put it all together, they should be able to field a decent team.

As for the Caldwell QB situation, I don't really know. I only caught one JV game last year, and Croucher was the QB during that game. Seemed to do well, but Varsity is a lot different than JV. Also, in another thread Eastern said there was a Leasure kid that played QB for Caldwell JV last year as well, so I don't really know who they'll go with.

stylepoints101
Riding the Bench

Post by stylepoints101 »

i seen caldwell jv play once last year and they played 3 QBs, Croucher, Jared Leasure and Matt Zwick . none of them impressed me that much but it was just a jv game and they were rotated in and out alot , no time for them to get into a groove . no matter which one they go with i think that Rossiter will take alot of pressure off them . i think he is right behind Crum as best RB in the league. i also feel he is alot better of an option than Snodgrass , because Snodgrass is slower but he does have some more strenght . i just think that losing Poulten and Pickenpaugh and some others from there line that gave Snodgrass big holes to run through last year will be missed . i dont know what they have to replace them on the line this year but those are some big shoes to fill . if they have a small line this year , Rossiter can use his speed to get to the outside and make plays in the open field. i dont know i think the Zeps v.s. the Skins will be a big game this year, i think they are pretty evenly matched.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Dident Johnny Carpenter(freshman) play QB for Caldwell Jv 2?I don't think they have a clue who will be at the Helm.Fort Frye returns 5 players on the line in Wriston 6-1 340 Sr,Zach Kehl 5-11 245 Sr,Riley Dixon 6-1 280 Sr,Dylan Bowman 5-9 220 C Jr,and Max Alsbach 5-10 180 Jr but I heard Alsbach could play FB.Fort Fryes best player is Spencer Lang 5-10 175 Tailback who played out of pos last year and still had 11 tds and he runs 4.6.He will be a stud in the spread.Chandler Lang Soph will be the QB will impress many but will need time to adjust from the switch from Wr to QB.When he did play QB he shined.His top targets will be his brother Spencer Lang,Derek Bates Sr,Justin Massey Jr,and maybe Freshman Seth Legrean 6-3.Returning to the team is Cole Okey who is big at 5-11 195 FB who just got cleared after hurting his neck as a freshman.The kid has worked hard in weight room and could start at FB and LB.The team is very talented but lacks numbers and depth at skill pos.If one player gets hurt they could struggle. Schedule- 1.River 2.@Belpre 3.@Waterford 4.River Valley 5.@ MC 6.@Fron 7.Trail 8.Caldwell 9.@Shenandoah 10.Morgan

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Frontier is going to be so weak in trenches losing about all the line.Also lost all skills players it will be a big rebuilding year.Jefferson will be the QB and Merckle and Salazar will be Backs.Irvin and Abshier will be WR.Dusty Wright and Takoda Boley will lead the defense.With Alexander and Oak Glen on the schedule it will be a long year.Cody Enges already out for year with torn rot cuff.Brandon Kring will have to be a leader at LB.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Cody Caldwell for River could be a sleeper and could develop.Also Trail lost 11 Srs off a horrible team in 10.Trail did have a decent Jv team.MC will have the best QB even if Kinchen does not play.I think Corey Lafaree will be the QB anyway and Kinchen could switch back TB with Hogue at FB. PVC- 1.MC 2.Shenandoah 3.FF and Caldwell 5.River 6.Frontier 7.Trail....

jayhawkpimp021
Waterboy

Post by jayhawkpimp021 »

EasternDspy has the rankings in the pvc spot on.. i drain 3's is obv for caldwell because they arent going to be that good this year.. caldwell lost alot including a quarterback that was athletic and smart enough to run a tricky offense w the skins.. they lost 5 or 6 solid defensive starters that i know of.. the only true threat coming back for caldwell's offense will be rossiter and he's losing some of his line.. the weapons in the pass game.. and a quarterback so it could be a less successful season even for him.. along with that they've lost their head coach which happens to be one of the better coaches in the area.. i'm sure that will hurt them in some way or form.. Shenandoah's losing only 2 key players in farnsworth and starr when it comes down to it.. I could easily see shenandoah 6-4 and if they pull of a big win possibly 7-3..

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

What is Monroe Centrals schedule?Any fact to Kinchen being suspended?

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

EasternDspy wrote:What is Monroe Centrals schedule?Any fact to Kinchen being suspended?
Week 1- Columbiana @ MC
Week 2- Shadyside @ MC
Week 3- MC @ River
Week 4- MC @ Caldwell
Week 5- FF @ MC
Week 6- MC @ Magnolia
Week 7- Shenandoah @ MC
Week 8- MC @ Barnesville
Week 9- Frontier @ MC
Week 10- MC @ Buckeye Trail

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

jayhawkpimp021 wrote:EasternDspy has the rankings in the pvc spot on.. i drain 3's is obv for caldwell because they arent going to be that good this year.. caldwell lost alot including a quarterback that was athletic and smart enough to run a tricky offense w the skins.. they lost 5 or 6 solid defensive starters that i know of.. the only true threat coming back for caldwell's offense will be rossiter and he's losing some of his line.. the weapons in the pass game.. and a quarterback so it could be a less successful season even for him.. along with that they've lost their head coach which happens to be one of the better coaches in the area.. i'm sure that will hurt them in some way or form.. Shenandoah's losing only 2 key players in farnsworth and starr when it comes down to it.. I could easily see shenandoah 6-4 and if they pull of a big win possibly 7-3..
Well yes, I'm from Caldwell, so of course i'm going to pull for them. Not really different from anyone else on here lol. It seems as though people always say that about Caldwell, but they've put together some pretty good seasons the past few years. Just look at the season after they lost guys like Mettler and Abbott. There were a lot of seniors on that team that got significant playing time, and they followed that up next year with another trip to the playoffs. Yes, I realize Devol leaving will make a significant impact, but I believe their will still be some of the same assistants, so hopefully that will help make the transition a little bit easier. Plus, I don't really think you'll see the Caldwell offense that the Skins ran in the second half of last season, throwing the ball upwards of 40 times a game. Should be more of a run-oriented offense with Rossiter and Snodgrass in the backfield. Plus, the schedule sets up nicely for them, with the majority of their tougher games being home games. (Harrison Central, Monroe Central, Barnesville, and Shenandoah)

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

I haven't heard anything regarding Snodgrass so I can't say if that rumor is true or not. This season is going to be a big test. Losing key players, new coaching staff, and stiffer competition even though I believe they'll be dropping back down to Division 6. I wouldn't complain about a 7-3 season.

jayhawkpimp021
Waterboy

Post by jayhawkpimp021 »

Caldwell won't go 7-3.. There's no way

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Newcomerstown - W
@ Trail - W
Harrison Central - toss-up
MC- L
@ River - W
Barnesville - toss-up
Fronter - W
@ FF - W
@ Wheeling Central - L
Shenandoah - toss-up

With Harrison Central, Barnesville, and Shenandoah all at home, I don't think it would be out of the question to win 2 out of those 3. I don't know much about HC besides the fact they're a D3 team coming off a 3-7 season. Wins were against teams with a combined 4 wins. Nothing wrong with a little pre-season optimism. I'd be interested to see how you think they'll finish. I'll do the same for Shenandoah.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Shenandoah Zeps pre-season prediction

@ Frontier- W
Martins Ferry - L
Meadowbrook - W
@ Shadyside - L
@ Barnesville - toss-up
Trail - W
@ MC - L
River - W
FF - W
@ Caldwell - toss-up

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Snodgrass, Rossiter, Croucher will all be able to run the ball. Sawyer returns as an all-league lineman. Wide outs will probably be Hesson and Tyler Abrams. They will compete for second in the league behind central. Caldwell/Shen/FF will all have a solid shot at having good season.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

According to the OHSAA data the cut off for D-6 should be around 119 & Less... Caldwell is setting at 109 with about 10 schools betweem them and the cut off line... So there is a great chance Caldwel will move down to D-6...

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye will be huge and will matchup great with run based team baring injury Fort Frye games vs Doah and Caldwell are toss ups.You have to think Spencer Lang might be the best player on the field.11 tds running on the inside he is an outside runner he will have a big season.You can't judge FF on the JV because they return so many lineman,Both Langs,Okey,and Bates and none of them played JV.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Hopfully they aren't but it does happen every year. These kids need to realize they have the rest of their lives to do any of that other stuff. They only get a short period of time to play sports and you don't get any "do overs."

Return to “Football”