2010 SEOAL Previews: Jackson Ironmen

loganlocos
SEOP

2010 SEOAL Previews: Jackson Ironmen

Post by loganlocos »

2010 Jackson Ironmen

Head Coach: Andy Hall (2nd Season, 7-3 at JHS)
2009 Record: 7-3 (4-2)
Division: III, Reg. 12
Returning Starters: 13 (7 OFF, 6 DEF)
Key Losses: Kruize Wandling (QB), Nathaniel Haller (TE/DE), Tyler Gillum (G), Ryan Klingaman (C/LB), Jimmy Brushart (G/DT), Eric Landrum (TE/LB), Garrett Ewing (LB), Tyler Williams (WR/DB), Ryan Mullins (WR/DB/K/P), Frankie Mapes (OL/DL)
Key Returnees: Klay Arthur (RB/OLB), Drew Ervin (RB/LB/DB), Kip Winchester (QB/DB), Britton Johnson (WR/DB), Bubba Landrum (OL/DL), Coleman Kearns (OL/DL), OJ Barr (RB/NG), Paul Simon (RB/DE), Derrick Meredith (RB/LB), Aaron Costilow (WR/DB), Ty McNelly (WR/DB), Tyler Jeffers (TE/LB)

2010 Schedule:
Aug. 28 - AT Wellston
Sept. 3 - AT Waverly
Sept. 10 - VS Vinton County
Sept. 17 - VS Logan *
Sept. 24 - VS Warren *
Oct. 1 - AT Portsmouth *
Oct. 8 - VS Ironton
Oct. 15 - AT Marietta *
Oct. 22 - VS Chillicothe *
Oct. 29 - AT Gallia Academy *

Projected Line-Up:
Offense
QB - 02 - Kip Winchester - 6'0 - 180lbs - SR *
TB - 07 - Drew Ervin - 6'0 - 220lbs - JR *
FB - 38 - Klay Arthur - 6'2 - 215lbs - SR *
WR - 22 - Ty McNelly - 6'0 - 170lbs - JR *
WR - 33 - Britton Johnson - 6'2 - 170lbs - SR
TE - 32 - Tyler Jeffers - 6'0 - 250lbs - JR
RT - 71 - Bubba Landrum - 6'1 - 315lbs - SR *
RG - 73 - Austin Landrum - 6'0 - 310lbs - SR
C - 65 - Coleman Kearns - 6'0 - 255lbs - SR *
LG - 62 - Ryan Speakman - 6'0 - 280lbs - SR
LT - 55 - David Fouty - 6'4 - 235lbs - SR
Other Offensive Players:
OT - 63 - Traye Valentine - 6'1 - 260lbs - SR
RB - 27 - Derrick Meredith - 6'0 - 185lbs - SR
WR - 17 - Aaron Costilow - 6'3 - 180lbs - SR
OT - 55 - David Fouty - 6'4 - 235lbs - SR
QB/RB/WR - 12 - Morgan Landrum - 5'10 - 185lbs - Soph

Defense
DT - 71 - Bubba Landrum - 6'1 - 315lbs - SR
NG - 20 - OJ Barr - 5'10 - 170lbs - JR *
DT - 62 - Ryan Speakman - 6'0 - 280lbs - SR
OLB - 38 - Klay Arthur - 6'2 - 215lbs - SR *
ILB - 32 - Tyler Jeffers - 6'0 - 250lbs - JR
ILB - 36 - Gavin McDaniel - 5'8 - 180lbs - SR
OLB - 12 - Morgan Landrum - 5'10 - 185lbs - Soph
CB - 02 - Kip Winchester - 6'0 - 180lbs - SR *
FS - 07 - Drew Ervin - 6'0 - 220lbs - JR *
SS - 27 - Derrick Meredith - 6'0 - 185lbs - SR *
CB - 22 - Ty McNelly - 6'0 - 170lbs - JR
Other Defensive Players:
NG - 29 - Josh Cutright - 5'7 - 155lbs - Soph
DL - 73 - Austin Landrum - 6'0 - 310lbs - SR
DL - 63 - Traye Valentine - 6'1 - 260lbs - SR
DL - 55 - David Fouty - 6'4 - 235lbs - SR
OLB - 17 - Aaron Costilow - 6'3 - 180lbs - SR
DB - 33 - Britton Johnson - 6'2 - 170lbs - SR

2010 Outlook:
Jackson football is back.

At least, if 2009 was any indication.

Under new head coach Andy Hall, a resurgent Jackson program finished a solid 3rd in the SEOAL only losing to Logan and Ironton and looks to be building a championship contender. With 13 returning starters, the red and white should be a contender for both an SEOAL championship and a playoff spot this fall.

On offense, Kip Winchester is the favorite to take over the quarterback duties after starting as a receiver last year. Drew Ervin could be the back-up, although he was so successful as a tailback during his sophomore campaign it is doubtful he will move.

Ervin gained 639 yards and scored 10 touchdowns on 108 carries during his sophomore campaign and may be the league's top back entering 2010. Running mate Klay Arthur led the team with 112 carries and gained 480 yards and scored 4 times. Derrick Meredith and Morgan Landrum add depth.

Winchester's top targets will be Britton Johnson (3 catches, 53 yards in '09), Aaron Costilow (1 catch, 15 yards in '09), and Ty McNelly (4 catches, 112 yards, 1 TD in '09). Arthur (10-157-0) and Ervin (9-50-0) are reliable targets as well.

Up front, Tyler Jeffers and Hunter McGowan are bookend tight ends while Bubba Landrum and Coleman Kearns are returning starters at tackle. Inside, Ryan Speakman returns and Austin Landrum, Traye Valentine, and David Fouty will fight for the final 2 spots.

On defense, Jackson will use multiple aggressive fronts that led to success in 2009 led by Ervin, Meredith, and Arthur in the linebacking corps. Jeffers, Steppe, and McGowan add depth.

Up front, Paul Simon and OJ Barr are returning starters with Dillon Bentley, Jeffers, and Dempsey battling for an end spot. Canter, Crabtree, and Speakman will also play on the defensive line.

In the secondary, Winchester and Costilow are returning starters and McNelly saw varsity action last fall. Britton Johnson could work his way onto the defensive side of the ball as well.

Jackson should be 3-0 heading into a week 4 showdown with Logan at Alumni Stadium. The Ironmen were the last team to beat Logan in an SEOAL contest way back in 2004, and could snap Logan's record tying 34-game streak. Ironton is the toughest non-conference test and the Ironmen must travel to league favorite Portsmouth.

ironman02
SEOP

Re: 2010 SEOAL Previews: Jackson Ironmen

Post by ironman02 »

I've only been to one of Jackson's 7-on-7s, so I have pretty limited information. I have been told that Paul Simon is not playing this season...not 100% sure, but that's what I heard, and I didn't see him at the 7-on-7. I also think that Paul Canter and Dewey Steppe are both out this season. Both have had terrible shoulder problems, and Dewey had a knee injury as well. Due to those injuries, it looks like their football careers are likely finished.

I think there are probably three starters locked in on the O-line. Those are Bubba Landrum, Ryan Speakman, and Coleman Kearns. The other two spots are up for grabs and I'm not even sure who will be competing for them. The rest of the offense looks perfect to me, Locos.

On the defensive side of the ball, the D-line, much like the O-line, is a question mark for me. I'd say OJ Barr at NG is a good bet unless they decide to move him elsewhere. The two DE spots, I'm not really sure what to expect. At the 7-on-7 I watched, the defensive backfield featured Ervin and Meredith at the safeties, and Britton Johnson, Ty McNelly, and Winchester all seeing time at CB. My guess would be that Kip won't play as much defense this season since he will be the QB, but he was Jackson's best cover corner last season, so he may be needed. Costilow, Arthur, and Jeffers all played LB at some point, along with David Fouty (who will probably play on the Off. or Def. line somewhere too), and another player that I didn't recognize.

Anyway, the projected lineup looks pretty close, except for the guys who aren't playing this season. Great job as always, Locos. I'll try to get some better information as the season gets closer.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Does anyone know when Jackson will be scrimmaging Burg this season?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

ironman02 wrote:I've only been to one of Jackson's 7-on-7s, so I have pretty limited information. I have been told that Paul Simon is not playing this season...not 100% sure, but that's what I heard, and I didn't see him at the 7-on-7. I also think that Paul Canter and Dewey Steppe are both out this season. Both have had terrible shoulder problems, and Dewey had a knee injury as well. Due to those injuries, it looks like their football careers are likely finished.

I think there are probably three starters locked in on the O-line. Those are Bubba Landrum, Ryan Speakman, and Coleman Kearns. The other two spots are up for grabs and I'm not even sure who will be competing for them. The rest of the offense looks perfect to me, Locos.

On the defensive side of the ball, the D-line, much like the O-line, is a question mark for me. I'd say OJ Barr at NG is a good bet unless they decide to move him elsewhere. The two DE spots, I'm not really sure what to expect. At the 7-on-7 I watched, the defensive backfield featured Ervin and Meredith at the safeties, and Britton Johnson, Ty McNelly, and Winchester all seeing time at CB. My guess would be that Kip won't play as much defense this season since he will be the QB, but he was Jackson's best cover corner last season, so he may be needed. Costilow, Arthur, and Jeffers all played LB at some point, along with David Fouty (who will probably play on the Off. or Def. line somewhere too), and another player that I didn't recognize.

Anyway, the projected lineup looks pretty close, except for the guys who aren't playing this season. Great job as always, Locos. I'll try to get some better information as the season gets closer.

I was wondering about Fouty--since I didn't see him mention above

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Neutron Man wrote:Does anyone know when Jackson will be scrimmaging Burg this season?

I would think it would be Friday, August 20th. The start time has been 6:00PM or 6:30PM the last few years, but I'm not sure if that will be the case this time too. I'll ask around and see if I can get a definitive answer.

I think the scrimmage is at Wheelersburg this season, but they've moved it to Jackson the last time or two when it was supposed to be at Burg. I'm not sure if that was to help keep the field fresh for the Ironton game or just to stay familiar with Alumni Stadium in case they had to play a playoff game there. Whatever the case may be, I know I'm hoping that it's in Jackson again.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Thanks for the info 02.

I'm sure there will be a lot of changes to all of my previews. Looking forward to catching up with you this fall.

Blazer83
Riding the Bench

Post by Blazer83 »

Fouty may be an eye opener if he stays healthy. 6'4, 235 lbs. and ran a 4.65 forty.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

ironman02 wrote:
Neutron Man wrote:Does anyone know when Jackson will be scrimmaging Burg this season?

I would think it would be Friday, August 20th. The start time has been 6:00PM or 6:30PM the last few years, but I'm not sure if that will be the case this time too. I'll ask around and see if I can get a definitive answer.

I think the scrimmage is at Wheelersburg this season, but they've moved it to Jackson the last time or two when it was supposed to be at Burg. I'm not sure if that was to help keep the field fresh for the Ironton game or just to stay familiar with Alumni Stadium in case they had to play a playoff game there. Whatever the case may be, I know I'm hoping that it's in Jackson again.

I of course would like for it to be at Wheelersburg, for driving perposes. Though I do understand why they would have it at Jackson.
No matter, its the start of a great time of the year!

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Wheelersburg scrimage is in Jackson.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Blackjack wrote:Wheelersburg scrimage is in Jackson.

Awesome. Does Jackson scrimmage Meigs also? Do you have a date, time, and location for that one?

LoganLocos wrote:Thanks for the info 02.

I'm sure there will be a lot of changes to all of my previews. Looking forward to catching up with you this fall.

Looking forward to it as well. I'm invited to a wedding on September 17th. Needless to say, I have a tough decision to make. I haven't missed a Jackson-Logan game since 1991, I believe.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Is Fouty playing? Good athlete for football!

Ty McNelly 6'0
Kip Winchester 6'1

lol....I have always loved program measurements

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Fouty was definitely at the 7-on-7 that I watched. As far as I know, he'll be there.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Thanks and is that the 20th?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

ironman02 wrote:
Awesome. Does Jackson scrimmage Meigs also? Do you have a date, time, and location for that one?
LoganLocos wrote:Thanks for the info 02.

Looking forward to it as well. I'm invited to a wedding on September 17th. Needless to say, I have a tough decision to make. I haven't missed a Jackson-Logan game since 1991, I believe.
Wow, bummer. It's the only game on Logan's schedule that is a "can't miss" for me this year. I'm not sure I saw the '93 game, so my streak my start in '94 for the JHS/LHS game. '95 and '97 were tough, LOL.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Looking for an at best 7-3 season for Jackson. Thats a combination of another weak non-league schedule and a weak SEOAL year. Losses to Logan, Portsmouth and the tiggers. The surprise maybe at the end , where, should they have injuries, a loss at Gallia would not be unusal . An average team playing a weak schedule. Playoffs possible at 7-3, but if the loss occurs at Gallia, no playoffs. Don't see much chance in the playoffs, if they qualify.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I'm betting Paladin hasn't ever been accused of sugar-coating his opinions.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I wish I would have known he was coming to SE Ohio to see these teams practice, I could have met the great one in person!

jacksonoaks
Freshman Team

Post by jacksonoaks »

Why do the Logan posters always put down Jackson and their Schedule.
You guys are a really big D-2 school on the line of being a D-1 school. so you are a big fish in a little pond in the SEOAL. WOW you have won the title of the SEOAL for so many years now congrats, go to another conf. with the same size teams and what happens? the same darn thing that happens to you guys in the playoffs, you get your A$$es handed to you

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

jacksonoaks wrote:Why do the Logan posters always put down Jackson and their Schedule.
You guys are a really big D-2 school on the line of being a D-1 school. so you are a big fish in a little pond in the SEOAL. WOW you have won the title of the SEOAL for so many years now congrats, go to another conf. with the same size teams and what happens? the same darn thing that happens to you guys in the playoffs, you get your A$$es handed to you
Why do Jackson people always insist on putting down Logan because of their schedule and say they can't win in the playoffs?

I don't think Logan has to defend a non-league schedule that includes 2 D1 playoff teams and a D2 team that finished 9-1 and missed the playoffs.

Jackson is a BIG D3 school that borders on D2 and has had no more success in the playoffs than Logan has.

Both are great programs that respect each other. Logan used to play a schedule like Jackson (New Lex, Nelsonville-York), and we had a great program. But our program is better having upgraded to Lancaster and Pickerington North. I think Jackson's program is on the rise, and a boost in strength of schedule would help Jackson continue to get better.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Won't happen !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Football”