TROJANS OFFENSE IN 2010

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

TROJANS OFFENSE IN 2010

Post by trojanofthepast »

I here alot about the the team coming back for the Trojans so I decided to check it out and here's what I found.

Returning Next Year on Offense;

QB - Josh Myers - (2009 stats 1006 rushing, 1018 passing)He will be the leading rusher and passer returning to the SEOAL next year. He had a 1000 in rushing and passing this year and It's the first time I can remember that the leading rusher and passer returning is the same person. He should be the early favorite for POY in the SEOAL.

RB - Angelo Jackson - (2009 stats 600 yards rushing 5.12 ypc) Angelo will be the 3rd leading rusher returning in the SEOAL next year. Angelo came on very strong the second half of the year. Running with confidence and power like the Angelo we knew he would be.

RB/WR - Jonathan Royster - (2009 stats 326 yards rushing 5 TD's, 218 rec yards 2 TDs, and 3 special teams TD's) You can see that's a pretty good stat line with 10 TD's on the year. John is very versatile and is by far the speed that everyone fears on a football field. The kid just plays all out everytime he touches the ball, he's not big but by god he's physical.

WR - Kyle Simpson - (2009 stats 27 catches 447 yards 5 rec TD's, 1 punt ret TD, and 1 int ret TD) - Kyle will be the top returning Wr in the league next year. He finished the season as the best WR outside of Logan. Myers top target, they could be a deadly combo next year.

TE - Collin Staker - (2009 stats 9 catches 191 yards 4 rec TD's, 1 special teams TD)- Collin didn't get a lot of opportunity early in the year, but in the last 2 games of the year he showed what he can do. He had 4 TD's in the last 2 games and displayed good hands and some speed to go with it. Look for Collin to have a great Sr season.

OT - Casey Sanders - Casey will be going into his 3 yr as a starter for the Trojans. Casey was injured the first couple of games. We struggled to run the ball with him out of the lineup. Once he returned the run game began to show it's stuff. Casey is without a doubt a leader and the energizer of this team.

OG - Brennan Howard - Brennan will also be entering his Sr year as a 3 yr starter. Brennan is one heck of a football player. He plays both sides of the ball for the Trojans. He is a big reason for the success of the run game and having a QB go for 1000/1000.

OG - Clay Lewis - Clay gets over shadowed by the other two mentioned, but had a pretty good year very quietly. A starter all year Clay performance was good, it can turn to great next year with a good off season in the weight room.

OT - Taylor Brown - Taylor struggled early in the year, but by years end was playing with confidence. A good year in the weight room with his size and this line could be one of the most dominate in the area.

K - Nate Newton - (2009 stats 27 XP) The kicker gets over looked more times than not during a season. Nate really solidified the kicking game for the Trojans this year. If Nate can get his leg stronger to be able to kickoff deep and make some FG's he will be another weapon for the Trojans next year.

You can see this Trojans offense will be returning the Top Rusher, Top Passer, Top Receiver, and Top Do It All Guy in John Royster in the SEOAL. They will be returning 38 TD's worth of talent next year (Myers 11 rushing & 13 passing, Royser 10 total TD's, Simpson 7 total TD's, Staker 6 total TD's, and Angelo Jackson 4 rushing TD's). Based on the info I've put together, people are right this could be a very special team next year. They have every thing you could want coming back on a High School Football team. If they work hard in the weight room another year and continue to believe and play as a team like they did down the stretch it will be fun to watch. NEVER SATISFIED ALWAYS WORKING HARD TO GET BETTER, GO TROJANS!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: TROJANS OFFENSE IN 2010

Post by trojandave »

I'm not afraid to say it.......the Portsmouth Trojans will field their best team in 10 years and have an excellent chance to win the SEOAL and challenge for the D4 State Championship.........we have the rare combination of talent and experience returning on both sides of the ball.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

I agree with you trojandave, this should be a very good season for the Trojans barring any injuries. Not many teams return this much talent from a 7-3 season the year before. This group knows how to win and have done so their whole lives. I think they will win their region and compete with most teams in D4.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Portsmouth should easily win the SEOAL and at least get to the State Championship game.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

These comments are tongue -in-cheek...Right? :122245 ..I am hoping :lol: ...Because if they are not you obviously have not seen the quality of teams in the past 5-6 years who have been in D-4 and who have won. Portsmouth,who could be pretty good this year,would get skinned this year and any year by the level of play in this division if the status quo continues around the state.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Portsmouth, to me, puts too much on Myers--just hope he doesn't get worn down

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I agree that the Trojans will be very good this year, and should compete for the SEOAL, but it is yet to be seen if they can be the best team in 10 years, or compete at the state level.
The best in 10 years is a big jump for me right now. You have to remember how good the teams were in 01, and 02. Both those teams were state ranked teams all season, and both lost in the regional championship game, to teams that lost to Kenton (and Ben Mauk).
This year’s team could end up being on that level, but they haven’t proven it yet. They need some big wins against quality opponents. Although they beat some good teams last year in West and Warren they still need that defining victory over a top team, such as Ironton, Burg, or Logan.
Right now I think they are very similar to the 99, 04, and 07 teams. All were very good teams but not state level. The difference is that with the exception of the 99 team those teams were one good season, where this year’s team will have the good finish of last year to build on.
I will say that the 99 season, the Trojans, went 7-3, with most of the team returning for the 2000 season. We all know how well the 2000 season turned out for the Trojans. Hopefully this year’s team will turn out the same.
The big difference that I see is that in 2000 the bulk of our returning starters were on the defensive side of the ball. If my memory serves me right we returned 8 starters on the defense that year. This year’s team returns the bulk of a great offense, but has some holes to fill in a defense that struggled at times last season.
Sure up the D, and we might just end up being a state caliber team. Hope you guys are right and this year’s team ends up being the best in 10 years, only time will tell.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

noreply66 wrote:Portsmouth, to me, puts too much on Myers--just hope he doesn't get worn down

I agree we do put a lot on Myers, I look for us to try to spread it around a little more this season. I think Jackson, and Royster both have the ability to be over 1000 yards this season.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The General: My comments are not tongue in cheek.......I am serious about my predictions for the 2010 Trojans.......and I do pay attention to what goes on around the state and the caliber of teams that play for the state championships........Portsmouth has the talent and the experience returning to end up in Massillon or Canton.

If I am wrong on my predictions, so be it.......it won't ruin my day!!.......I don't make predictions like this every year!!

If people think that this team cannot make it to the state, then when is Portsmouth EVER going to the state championship? We will not see this combination of talent and experience again for quite a while at PHS.

This is a once in a 10 year team.......and we were serious contenders 10 years ago for a state title.......2000......won the Region in D3, beating Dayton Chaminade-Julienne 31-24, then lost to Van Wert 28-21 in the state semis......Van Wert lost to Canton Central Catholic 28-27 in the state championship game on a missed extra point......so the Trojans were very close to winning it all back then.

Portsmouth has proven that it is very capable of making a serious run at a state title.
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I am all about Portsmouth challenging for the state championship and I think it is a realistic goal. However, I need to have some questions answered before I can fully believe this team has what it takes to make a serious run. Such as, will the defense be able to stop anyone? I know the offense will average around 35 points per game. But, can they stop the opponents from scoring 36? Also, will Wayne Evans and Dion McKinley be on the team? How about Bendolph? Just a few questions I have.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I think the swing game on this teams schedule is the Wheelersburg game. If they can go up to the Burg and get some payback for what the Pirates did to them, then they can ride that momentum the rest of the year.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

FalconFan: You ask a very legitimate question about the defense......and my answer to that is with 7 starters back, one would have to think that a year or two of experience has to result in a better performance on that side of the ball.......I don't think the defense will be a stone wall.......but it will be considerably better than last year.

As far as Evans, McKinley, and Bendolph playing, I don't really know for sure if they will.......but if they do, it only bolsters an already talented roster.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Trojandave...I hope your prediction does come true. I really do. Would be a heck of a thing. BUT.......knowing the little bit that I do about who you have and how you play and then add that to the caliber of play and athletes that these D-4 "TEAMS"(and I use that word loosely) around certain parts of the state are able to accumulate,I just dont think that will be possible. Maybe I am wrong. But I doubt it. JMHO....good luck.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The General: I know I am making a big prediction.......but like I said, we won't see the combination of talent and experience come together this often at Portsmouth.......I figure going 7-3 last year with 16 starters coming back would push the record up to 9-1 or even 10-0, and a playoff berth should be a lock.......but I think these Trojans are much better than just a playoff berth.

Also, it looks like Andrew Bendolph, Wayne Evans, and Dion McKinley will be playing football.......which gives us 3 more talented kids which will see significant playing time.......I would love to see Andrew on punt and kickoff returns.......his speed and lateral quickness will give us the home run threat that we need in that area, and in addition he should be a lockdown CB.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Dave you make some great points and I hope you are right.

In comparison I think we returned 15 starters in 2000 from a team that went 7-4 in 99. However that team started Tony Malone, Matt Howbert, Zach Harris, Jeremy Hamrick, and Jeremy Mathis, all of which were either heavy recruited to or made a D1 team. This team also had our all time leading rusher in JoJo Parker, and the D3 Defensive player of the year in Dustin Pendleton. I know we have some kids getting some looks but I don’t know if we have that kind of talent down there right now.
I do think that Myers, Royster, Simpson, Jackson and Howard can all play college ball if they want to but I doubt any of them will receive the interest from the D1 level, manly do to size, not ability. I now Sanders has already had some D1 interest. So there is deffiently some talent on this team. I just wonder if they will seize the opportunity to be great like the 2000 team or if they will be happy with being just good like the 1999 team.
In my opinion 99 maybe one of the most talented teams we have had but also underachieved greatly. In 99 they had all the before mentioned talent, also with the addition of D1 recruits J. Booker, and R.J. Camron. This team also had an all Ohio caliber QB in Greg Estep, prior to an injury that cost him several games.

I really think this team has more of the work ethic and desire of the 2000-2002. The only difference is that this team has yet to win a big game. They need that defining moment to set things in motion for them. I believe that the upset of Burg in 99 was the spark that set things in motion for the run from 2000-2002. This year’s team needs to win that big time game to solidify them as a state contender. I am one for not counting the chickens before they hatch, so I will not yet make the bold prediction that you have. With that being said if we win the SEOAL this year I believe we may be poised to make that run, and I do believe that winning the league is very possible.
This team will have several test this season. From West, Burg, Ironton, and Logan seem to be the biggest games to me, but there are several other good teams that the Trojans will have to be up for. Run the table and I think we will send out a message that that we are ready to compete with anyone in D4.
Best of luck Trojans

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Well, alot of positive energy is surrounding this Trojan football team. It's nice to see the expectations at a high level. Where this team goes this season will depend on their defense. We know they can score with almost anyone but scoring will only take you so far. At some point in the grind of a season, the offense will sputter and you have to depend on your defense to step up. If the Trojans put added emphasis on the defensive side of the ball, we will see a special year. Questions to be answered, we will know the answers before to long.

crslpn44
Waterboy

Post by crslpn44 »

I agree with all the state predictions. This team is talented. Offensively we have a ton of weapons at our disposal. Defensively every thing i hear keeps getting better. Sanders and Howard will both be on the defensive side of the ball. Which in my opinion eliminates pretty much all middle runs. Those boys are big strong and mean and keep getting better. I also have heard that Bendolph and Evans will be playing. Deion i believe is ineligible. This team is big, strong, fast and determined. Its going to be fun to watch. :)

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

crslpn44 wrote: Sanders and Howard will both be on the defensive side of the ball. Which in my opinion eliminates pretty much all middle runs. Those boys are big strong and mean and keep getting better.

I know that the D was obviously better with Howard out there last season. Sanders' injuries kept him mainly on the O last season. I agree that with these 2 out there the middle is sured up a lot. My only problem is that it is really tough to go both ways on the line. Hope they are up for it. My guess is that they will split a DT spot, and find someone else to fill the other. Now in goal line, and make and break situations I expect to see them both out there. Of course I think Sanders may make a good DE.

What’s everyone’s guess as to who will be in what spot on the D. We have some spots to fill with the graduation of James, Malone, P. Underwood, Davis, Kennedy and Reeves.

DE?
DT Howard/ Sanders
DT?
DE?
LB Gulley
LB T. Underwood
LB Jackson
LB Porter? I would think he would find a starting spot somewhere, played well as a soph last year.
CB Bendolph if he is playing
CB Royster
S Myers but only when need I would think

These are mostly guesses at the D, let me know what you guys know.
Maybe Evans could see some time as well if he is playing, I also believe Duke Edwards is back at PHS, anyone know if he is playing?

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Here are a few more names I could see playing D this year.

JW. Horsley - DE
Clay Lewis - DT
Wayne Evans - CB
Kyle Simpson - CB/S
Lynn Collins - LB
Cameron Cosby - CB

My projection looks like this;

DE - JW Horsley
DT - Brennen Howard
DT - Clay Lewis/Casey Sanders
DE - Not Sure
LB - Andrew Gulley
LB - Trey Underwood
LB - Lynn Collins/Angelo Jackson
LB - Austin Porter/Jon Royster
CB - Andrew Bendolph
CB - Wayne Evan/Kyle Simpson/Cameron Cosby
S - Josh Myers/Kyle Simpson

I think Howard,Lewis,and Sanders will rotate on the line. I think Collins may start at the LB spot and rotate with Jackson. Porter will start at the LB spot, but I could see Royster playing some there. And I think that Simpson will rotate in at both Saftey and CB spots. And Cameron Cosby could see some time at CB this year. It's tough having too many starters go both ways all the time. That's why I see the following players rotating in on D. Howard,Lewis,Sanders,Jackson,Royster,Simpson,and Myers. I think Bendolph will play both ways at WR and CB and do his rotating on Offense with Evans.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

trojanofthepast wrote:
My projection looks like this;

DE - JW Horsley
DT - Brennen Howard
DT - Clay Lewis/Casey Sanders
DE - Not Sure
LB - Andrew Gulley
LB - Trey Underwood
LB - Lynn Collins/Angelo Jackson
LB - Austin Porter/Jon Royster
CB - Andrew Bendolph
CB - Wayne Evan/Kyle Simpson/Cameron Cosby
S - Josh Myers/Kyle Simpson

Yeah, that looks like a pretty good guess. I don’t know how I forgot about Horsley and Collins they both played well towards the end of last season.

I wonder who will fill the other DE spot. If we could find someone to play some DT I think Sanders would make a good end. Of course we would still have to find someone else to keep him fresh. What about Collin Staker playing some DE, or Kyle Ratcliff, Mike Brown, or Taylor Brown in the DT rotation to free up Sanders for DE. Just some thoughts, I am sure Coach Burke is already on top of who will be where.

Also who will make the move to center, to fill the departure of Justin Welch?

Return to “Football”