July 6 deadline for 2010 GAHS HOF nominations

jottings
SEOPS H

July 6 deadline for 2010 GAHS HOF nominations

Post by jottings »

Deadline for applications for the 2010 Gallia Academy Athletic Hall of Fame nominations is Tuesday, July 6, according to Rusty Saunders, GAHS HOF committee president.

Tuesday evening in Bossard Memorial Library15 members of the committee voted to set the deadline for this year’s applications along with other items.

Individuals may obtain HOF forms from the GAHS school web site, or contact Saunders at 2577 State Rt. 141, or Danny Mink at the Wiseman Insurance Agency.

The committee has 13 holdovers from last year’s list. Last night, the committee received six or seven new applications.

The group revised the deadline for the year of graduation to be included in this year’s nominations. Boy’s application will be accepted through 1987, while girl’s applications will be accepted through 1992.

The committee will meet again in June (between June 21-24) at the new school in Centenary to go over all applications. The committee will then meet on Tuesday, July 13, to vote on the 2010 candidates.

Tentative dates for the 2010 HOF ceremonies were set for Friday, Sept. 10, before the home game against Wellston and Saturday, Sept. 11, for the awards banquet to be held at Gallia Academy High School in Centenary.

In other matters Tuesday, the committee tabled a motion on accepting graduates from Rio Grande High School for the HOF. Rio Grande has been part of the city schools district since 1960-61. When part of the county schools system, Rio Grande had several outstanding athletic squads over the years, including the1955 basketball team that advanced to the Class B regional tournament.

The group also discussed the current status of committee members in alignment with by-laws and went over voting procedures.

85inside
S

Re: July 6 deadline for 2010 GAHS HOF nominations

Post by 85inside »

Is Tim "Cowboy" Madison in the hall of fame yet?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Is Pete Neal in yet ?

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Neither have been nominated. Neal should be a shoo in if ever nominated.

Tim was one hard-working hardwood player at GAHS.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Jottings wrote:Neither have been nominated. Neal should be a shoo in if ever nominated.

Tim was one hard-working hardwood player at GAHS.

So let me get this straight. To get in to the GAHS HOF you have to be nominated by someone who in turn fills out an application for said person and then it is voted on by the committee ? Why can't the committee itself nominate the candidates by doing their own research to find out who truly belongs with the accomplishments, accolades, honors, records etc. that were bestowed upon them while they attended GAHS. The way it looks now, a lot of worthy individuals (aka Pete Neal above) may never be nominated by an outside party if they didn't know them personally or still have ties to the school and as these people get older it will become harder to do as things are forgotten or overlooked.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

ALITTLE GA FOOTBALL HISTORY.
It will be 40 years ago this coming fall that the Goal Posts came down at Memorial Field, When the 1970 undefeated SEOAL Champs !!!Beat Logan!!! AKA THE BIG BLUE MACHINE, Was lead by a monster running attack of Pete Neal #38 & Tom Prose #11!!!Along with a very good O-Line, And the leagues best D!!!

FANOSPORTS!!!#38 Missed 2 to 3 games his SR year ,One may wonder if he didn't get hurt would all of his records still be standing??? He still has 3 or 4 Records at GA! IMO He's the best Running back in GA History!!! Power and speed all in one.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Fanofsports...

Go to the Bossard Library and spend a couple hours reviewing microfilm files, get printouts, and then you can nominate Pete.

BB'fool has been told to do that repeatedly. He played on Neal's team.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

FANOSPORTS!!! Me and G.Davis was the pulling Guards for Neal & Prose on the 70 team.And are SR year, me and Boster was the guards for Neal.And I think the late Mike Wolf was in the mix!!! I always thought a player like Neal some one else would bring him up??? my bad.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

What about Mike Hemphill/football from the early 80's??

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Another GAHS athlete who has never been nominated.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BBallin fool wrote:ALITTLE GA FOOTBALL HISTORY.
It will be 40 years ago this coming fall that the Goal Posts came down at Memorial Field, When the 1970 undefeated SEOAL Champs !!!Beat Logan!!! AKA THE BIG BLUE MACHINE, Was lead by a monster running attack of Pete Neal #38 & Tom Prose #11!!!Along with a very good O-Line, And the leagues best D!!!

FANOSPORTS!!!#38 Missed 2 to 3 games his SR year ,One may wonder if he didn't get hurt would all of his records still be standing??? He still has 3 or 4 Records at GA! IMO He's the best Running back in GA History!!! Power and speed all in one.

Hey, I was @ Meigs that year (1970) and the Devils won at Pomeroy in a hard fought game I believe that ended up 12-6. The Gallipolis band was in the parking lot of the old Pomeroy high school after the game and were getting berated by Meigs fans and there was a lot of animosity between the fans that night that resulted in more than one fight. Pete Neal was the man & a beast. If Gallipolis's own people can't recognize him in their own hall of fame I feel sorry knowing that they have that little respect for or knowledge about the man during his high school days.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

12-6 Meigs had a good running back also, I think his name was Dennis Boggs???

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

andy howard and gary harrison should get in this year :mrgreen:
Last edited by 91blue14 on Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BBallin fool wrote:12-6 Meigs had a good running back also, I think his name was Dennis Boggs???

Yep, he was a little guy with a lot of heart and was a very good back. Dennis was tragically killed when he was 19 years old in the spring of 1972 in an automobile accident about a mile out Rt. 143 just west of Pomeroy. God rest his soul :(

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

No offense to anyone out there but isnt the role of the committee to nominate and see that the very best get in. Im sure they vote on each nominated person but I would think they could go over each yr. the best they can or the best that the records are available. It is entirely possible that several could be left out just because someone doesnt nominate them. No doubt the process would be hard in the early yrs of Gallia Academy but the later should really not be that bad. Just a thought

Return to “Football”