Passing the Ball

sider
All Conference

Passing the Ball

Post by sider »

In your opinion what is the best passing concept to use for high schoolers...a lot of people like the passing tree, some people just use called routes, others use called plays and series. If you were, or are a coach what system would you use and why?

boogerred
All State

Re: Passing the Ball

Post by boogerred »

It would all depend on what kind of team you were coaching (which is determined by what athletes you have).

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I would believe all coaches that want to throw the ball would want to use the passing tree system, but it depends on how much faith you have in your receivers and your quartback to pick up what coverage the defense is in.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

I dont think so 2trap :122245

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Tobias wrote:Tony Franklin System...

:mrgreen:

Thats what Fairland coached my junior and senior seasons, Tony Frankilin was actually there during two-a-days my junior year coaching and showing the drills.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Like Woody used to say Three things can happen when you throw the ball, two of them are bad.

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

Like Brian Kelly has shown, throw the ball a lot and you will be pretty good. Peyton Manning does a pretty good job of it too. I have always been a fan of smash mouth football, but the more football I watch, the more I see how successful you can be throwing the ball.

I think if you throw the ball a lot, a passing tree makes sense. If you run the majority of the time, called routes are fine, especially off of play-action.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Tobias wrote:
bigtimehitter wrote:
Tobias wrote:Tony Franklin System...

:mrgreen:

Thats what Fairland coached my junior and senior seasons, Tony Frankilin was actually there during two-a-days my junior year coaching and showing the drills.

Tony is a character. I was in a few of his coaching drills for OL in Nashville a couple of years ago.

yea you can say that :122245

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

I really like the passing tree. I think that using a number system such as the tree can be very helpful if you are a smaller team without unlimited talent at every receiver position. If each route is represented by a number, it is easy for kids to know what route to run (no matter if they line up at X,YZ).

To me, that alone makes it a great system for high school football players... Simple but effective!

dynamo.
Waterboy

Post by dynamo. »

Not nearly as deadly as having Mike Bissell audible out of any plays called by Arch Rose. Thats how we won when I was in school at eastern in 1981.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

boilermaker wrote:Like Woody used to say Three things can happen when you throw the ball, two of them are bad.
[color=#FF0000][size=200][color=#FF8000]BUT ONE IS REALLY,COOL. WHEN IT HAPPENS[/color]

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I LIKE THE PASSING TREE , AS WELL, ESPECIALLY JUNIOR HIGH, AND HIGH SCHOOL. AND PASSING WHEN YOU ARE A RUN ORIENTED TEAM, IS IMPERATIVE, TO KEEP TEAMS FROM LOADING UP THE BOX, THEN THEY LOOSEN UP YOU BUST UP THE GUT WITH THE RUN.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

At Marietta we had good success with the called plays and series with coverage adjustments made by the receivers based on coverages.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

thats true, it's all about matchups.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Myself I like the old school backyard football approach. Just line up in shotgun and tell your recievers to go out. It confuses the defense because they arent using traditional routes and the safeties have trouble covering when you got 4 over the top.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

There are problems with both called plays and passing tree you just have weigh the differences

The passing tree gives 10 routes to choose from (you can also mix in called routes as well) and almost unlimited opportunity to mix routes as a play caller, its easy to learn, the down fall is with the blocking schemes...you have to teach kids to slide certain ways depending on formation, and you count on your lineman to remember and call out what way the slide, who is big on big (typically backside), and who frees out for the blitzer...with an experienced line this is no problem, but with a group of younguns you'll run into difficulty

The advantage with called plays is that it can make protection schemes much easier for the oline, for instance you can 50's series play with are all pocket protection and 80's and 90's for sprintout, but it limits you because if you teach the kids too much then you run the risk of them of mixing up plays

I think making a passing concepts that are series and called plays is your best bet, espicially in high school, but if I were a college you pro coach I would lean more towards a passing tree

Return to “Football”