TROJANS IN 2010 ON OFFENSE

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

TROJANS IN 2010 ON OFFENSE

Post by trojanofthepast »

I here alot about the the team coming back for the Trojans so I decided to check it out and here's what I found.

Returning Next Year on Offense;

QB - Josh Myers - (2009 stats 1006 rushing, 1018 passing)He will be the leading rusher and passer returning to the SEOAL next year. He had a 1000 in rushing and passing this year and It's the first time I can remember that the leading rusher and passer returning is the same person. He should be the early favorite for POY in the SEOAL.

RB - Angelo Jackson - (2009 stats 600 yards rushing 5.12 ypc) Angelo will be the 3rd leading rusher returning in the SEOAL next year. Angelo came on very strong the second half of the year. Running with confidence and power like the Angelo we knew he would be.

RB/WR - Jonathan Royster - (2009 stats 326 yards rushing 5 TD's, 218 rec yards 2 TDs, and 3 special teams TD's) You can see that's a pretty good stat line with 10 TD's on the year. John is very versatile and is by far the speed that everyone fears on a football field. The kid just plays all out everytime he touches the ball, he's not big but by god he's physical.

WR - Kyle Simpson - (2009 stats 27 catches 447 yards 5 rec TD's, 1 punt ret TD, and 1 int ret TD) - Kyle will be the top returning Wr in the league next year. He finished the season with the best WR stats outside of Logan. Myers top target, they could be a deadly combo next year.

TE - Collin Staker - (2009 stats 9 catches 191 yards 4 rec TD's, 1 special teams TD)- Collin didn't get a lot of opportunity early in the year, but in the last 2 games of the year he showed what he can do. He had 4 TD's in the last 2 games and displayed good hands and some speed to go with it. Look for Collin to have a great Sr season.

OT - Casey Sanders - Casey will be going into his 3 yr as a starter for the Trojans. Casey was injured the first couple of games. We struggled to run the ball with him out of the lineup. Once he returned the run game began to show it's stuff. Casey is without a doubt a leader and the energizer of this team.

OG - Brennan Howard - Brennan will also be entering his Sr year as a 3 yr starter. Brennan is one heck of a football player. He plays both sides of the ball for the Trojans. He is a big reason for the success of the run game and having a QB go for 1000/1000.

OG - Clay Lewis - Clay gets over shadowed by the other two mentioned, but had a pretty good year very quietly. A starter all year Clay performance was good, it can turn to great next year with a good off season in the weight room.

OT - Taylor Brown - Taylor struggled early in the year, but by years end was playing with confidence. A good year in the weight room with his size and this line could be one of the most dominate in the area.

K - Nate Newton - (2009 stats 27 XP) The kicker gets over looked more times than not during a season. Nate really solidified the kicking game for the Trojans this year. If Nate can get his leg stronger to be able to kickoff deep and make some FG's he will be another weapon for the Trojans next year.

You can see this Trojans offense will be returning the Top Rusher, Top Passer, Top Receiver, and Top Do It All Guy in John Royster in the SEOAL. They will be returning 38 TD's worth of talent next year (Myers 11 rushing & 13 passing, Royser 10 total TD's, Simpson 7 total TD's, Staker 6 total TD's, and Angelo Jackson 4 rushing TD's). Based on the info I've put together, people are right this could be a very special team next year. They have every thing you could want coming back on a High School Football team. If they work hard in the weight room another year and continue to believe and play as a team like they did down the stretch it will be fun to watch. NEVER SATISFIED ALWAYS WORKING HARD TO GET BETTER, GO TROJANS!

P.S. The defense will be coming soon.
Last edited by trojanofthepast on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: TROJANS IN 2010 ON OFFENSE

Post by trojandave »

Good breakdown, trojanofthepast..........I have already gone on record saying that the Trojans of 2010 could make a serious run at a state title........most likely our best opportunity since the 2000 season........the way the kids played the second half of the season should give them great confidence going into next year..........and with that will come a determination in the off season to work harder than they ever have.

Offensively, the Trojans should be a juggernaut........probably averaging around 35 PPG........they should be able to run and pass with equal efficiency, which will make them very tough to defend.

I would say that L.J.Adams will replace London Malone at the other wideout opposite Kyle Simpson. L.J. has quickness and speed which will give Josh Myers another good target to throw to and stretch the field.

I think that Josh has an excellent chance to be the SEOAL POY in 2010.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

That's a question I don't have an answer for right now. I think the 2 backups for center this year were Tyler Scott (Soph) and Mike Brown (Jr). But they may move someone into the position outside of those 2 not for sure.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

OT - Casey Sanders - Casey will be going into his 3 yr as a starter for the Trojans. Casey was injured the first couple of games. We struggled to run the ball with him out of the lineup. Once he returned the run game began to show it's stuff. Casey is without a doubt a leader and the energizer of this team.

He didnt look bad playing defense against Western Brown.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

Tobias wrote:The center is very important in the spread offense. The center calls the fronts and must fill for the pulling guards. He also must be quick enough to chase down a LB in an even front as well as blocking a strong NT in an odd front.

Your right Tobias, I'm not sure who the center will be next year but it will be an important position for this team to fill. Trojanofthepast; good job on your post it's right on the mark and look forward to your post on the defense for next year. As for Casey Sanders on defense OZZIEOHIO your also right he did play D at Western Brown. I think the only reason he didn't play more on D this year was the fear of injury and what it would cost the O. Trojans will be hard to beat next year but they must work hard in the off season and not take anything for granted. I believe this team will be out to prove just how good they can be next year.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Can't wait until week 2 next year...a loaded Portsmouth team versus a loaded West team...

The one thing that this Portsmouth team doesn't have that many trojan teams of the past had is that one factor back...not taking away from Jackson, but this team doesn't have a Parker or a Bolden to be the go to, but they do have Josh Myers who can run like a back, and a solid group of playmakers (including Jackson)...it should be interesting to watch

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

sider wrote:Can't wait until week 2 next year...a loaded Portsmouth team versus a loaded West team...

The one thing that this Portsmouth team doesn't have that many trojan teams of the past had is that one factor back...not taking away from Jackson, but this team doesn't have a Parker or a Bolden to be the go to, but they do have Josh Myers who can run like a back, and a solid group of playmakers (including Jackson)...it should be interesting to watch

not many teams at all, have a Parker or Bolden.......

I can tell you one thing, in the last 3 to 4 games, Jonathon Royster has proved that he can run the ball very well, when you put him and Jackson back there together, big things can happen,,,both of them can rip off a big run any time the ball is put in their hands...they will have a big year next year,and it wil open up the passing game even more.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I look for Casey to move to center next year. This will free up the OT spot of Kyle Ratcliff, who played well this season when Casey was injured. I think Casey will be a force a center, probably are best center since Matt Howbert in 2000. Of course we have had a lot of good centers, with Justin Welch, Howard Harcha, DJ Mosley, and Bruce Kalb all in recent memory it will be no small task to step into the position, however I think Casey is up to the challenge.

FOURTYTWOISO
Waterboy

Post by FOURTYTWOISO »

biggdowgg, from what you say the run game for the trojans should be pretty good next year. But, do they really have anyone on the outside that scares anyone. Not an assumption just a question.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

The main thing for next year year is for everyone including the players realize that hard work in the offseason will bring success......I don't want them to see and hear how good they're supposed to be and not put in the work.....there are no guarantees!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Anyone know the Schedule for next year??? I know our first game is a sat game against Wilmington. We also add Logan back to our schedule.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I think Ironton is week 10.

toadstool
Waterboy

Post by toadstool »

when u talk of cenetrs tobias dont forget one bubba hickman a good one in his time

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ptown Playmaker: You make good points........my feeling is that there is no harm in telling the kids, of which I have already told a couple, that they can make a run at the state next year.......it's up to them to put in the work, but it sure doesn't hurt to have someone give them some positive reinforcement along the way.

I think the kids want people to believe in them........if people give them some encouragement, then I think what needs to be done in the offseason will be done. I think they will embrace what the 2010 season holds for them.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

We start out with Wilmington at Portsmouth, and end with Logan at home in week 9 and then the Ironton Fighting Tigers will make their first appearance at Trojan Coliseum week 10. The game with Logan could be for the SEOAL championship.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

If the Trojans go 7-3 next year with the schedule they have they will probably be a top 5 seed. It they go 8-2 they will get a home field playoff game and 9-1 or 10-0 will be the #1 or #2 seed. This team has the capabilities to be a #1 seed and win the region next year. Don't worry about this group working hard in the off season, I think Clifford knows just how to handle this group in the off season. There in not really a weakness on this offense next year. We have 2 positions to fill, center and the other WR spot. I could see Collin Staker move to the other Wr spot and Trey Underwood playing more TE. I'm not sure who will play the C position next year, I could see them moving one of the current starters to C and playing Kyle Ratcliff somewhere on the OL.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

I hear there could possibly be a huge transfer coming to P-Town.......OchoPW.

Jim Mora
Freshman Team

Post by Jim Mora »

Incognito wrote:I hear there could possibly be a huge transfer coming to P-Town.......OchoPW.

Ocho PW... well ocho is spanish for eight and PW is short for.... well

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

We heard that rumor and asked him, his mom, and his dad. They laughed. There is no chance he's going anywhere. People love to start rumors. Ignorant stuff.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

A lot of rumors always surface in the off season and doesn't always mean it's true. But, if a certain kid wants to go to play big time college football then he needs to be with a coach that can get it done. The big thing Clifford has done at PHS is put kids at the next level. He works hard for his kids to get the chance and also has many contacts at the next level. This trojan team will be talked about and be publicised a lot next year. They will be a good playoff team with a chance to maybe win a title. They will be senior dominated team with about 12 of them having 3 years varsity experience and another 6-8 JR's and SR's having 2 years experience. That equals success and a chance for many to play at the next level. If I were a parent of a child that has talent, grades, and if put in a program that can get him what he's dreamed of getting (To play at a D1 program) it would be a done deal. Loyalty is to your family first and I think people would have to understand a college schooly at big program doesn't come easy around here that's for sure. But remember it's just a silly rumor and doesn't mean anything, either way this team will be good and have plenty of exposure next year.

Return to “Football”