Power Poll After Week 2 from T_FB_A

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Power Poll After Week 2 from T_FB_A

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I started this power ranking last year in response to the Portsmouth Daily Times failure to continue what was one of the better parts of the sports section. The PDT is doing one this year but doesn’t seem to be putting much effort into it.

Here are the rules for my power poll. It will be made up of teams from the SEOAL South, SOC1,and SOC2. I know that this leaves several quality teams out but, these are the teams that I follow the closest and think I know a little about. I know Logan, Marietta, Warren and others would be high on this list but I think I am too far away to give an honest opinion on how good these teams are. If someone doesn’t like it please write your own, I will enjoy reading yours as I hope you do mine.

THE POLL WILL CHANGE THIS WEEK TO TOP 10 ONLY. THIS WILL MAKE IT EASIER ON ME TO GET IT OUT.

1. Ironton 2-0 (last week #1)- The Fighting Tigers rolled through Russell 45-0. This time it was on the back of Tres Wilks who rushed for 2 touchdowns and 138yards on just 4 carries and also returned a punt 64 yards for a TD. Wilks stepped up this week when J.P. Taylor left the game after an injury in the 1st quarter. This is why Ironton is # 1 they have so many great backs, that can step in and not miss a beat. Look for the Tigers to keep up their winning ways this week as they travel to Gallipolis to take on the Gallia Academy Blue Devils.

2A. Portsmouth 2-0 (last week # 2C) The Trojans showed they are not the same team from 08 as they opened up the new Trojan Coliseum with a 21-20 victory over the West Senators. The Trojans came out swinging as the Trojan James Gang D lead by Jason James forced the Senators into a 3 and out. The Trojans then stated a 6 play 70 yard drive that ended with Trojan quarterback Josh Myers scoring on a 12 yard run. The Trojans again would shutdown West offense and force a punt. That punt was fielded by Kyle Simpson who made a good move to get behind a wall of blockers and race 74 yards to give the Trojans a 14 to nothing lead. The Trojans would have to fight off the Senators surge in the second half but were able to hang on for the win. Myers also threw for 135 yards on the night. There was also this season’s first sighting of the Red and Blue Royster Cult as Jon Royster had 73 yards on 5 receptions . This week the Trojans will host Wheelersburg in what should be another packed house and a great game in the Trojan Coliseum.

2B. Wheelersburg 1-1 ( last week # 2B) The Pirates responded in a big way this week as they were able to “Schank” the South Point Pointers 49-0. The Pirates called upon their QB star from a year ago Brandon Schankweiler. This year Schank is lining up at running back and was able to run 8 times for 120 yards and a TD. He also showed his QB skills with a 35 yard TD pass to Andy Stegman, who also caught a 34 yard TD strike from Tyler Lang. The Burg rebounded big this week and will have another big task this week as they travel to Portsmouth to play the 2-0 Trojans at the new Trojan Coliseum.

4.West 1-1 (last week # 2a) The Senators lost their first regular season game since 2007 as they wound up on the wrong end of a 21-20 defeat by the Portsmouth Trojans in front of a capacity crowd at the new Trojan Coliseum. West struggled early on with the crowd, and the fast stinging Trojan D. Eventually the boys from the Westside settled down and made a ball game out of it. On the back of Trevon Pendleton the Senators struggled to make a 2nd come back in as many weeks but it was not to be. The game ended with West coach Triplett deciding to attempt the PAT kick after missing one earlier in the contest. The kick was no good and the Senators were no match for the Trojans offense for the remaining 4:14 as they converted needed first downs to keep the ball out of the Senator’s hands. I have to believe that if he had it to do over again coach Triplett would have attempted a 2 point conversion with one of his highly touted running backs, setting up what would have been a dramatic finish between Portsmouth high power offense and West stiff defense. The Senators will have it a little easier for the rest of the month as their as their next 3 opponents have yet to win a game. This week they return home to play South Point.

5.Jackson 2-0 (last week # 9) The Ironmen make a big jump this week as they defeated Waverly 33-25. Uh-oh SEOAL fans the Ironmen may have their new offense in place faster then we thought they would have. This week the Ironmen will play 0-2 Vinton County, which means they should start SEOAL play undefeated and ready to go. Jackson may need to sure up the D a little, but I guess 25 points to Waverly isn’t all that bad.

6. Minford 2-0 (last week #5) Falcons defeated Wellston 27-20 in Minford in a game where Mark Slone scored the go ahead touchdown with under 3 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Slone was also the leading rusher for Minford with 3 scores and 211 yards. I think the Falcons are a strong team but am not as convinced as one local paper. I will have to wait to see how they do against some of the SOC2 heavy weights before I move them up. This week should be no real challenge as they play another winless team in Huntington Ross.

7. Chillicothe 1-1 (last week #6) The Cavs lost to Big Walnut 33-10 in a game that was plagued by miscues by the Cavs, that included a fumble on the 2 yard line that resulted in a turnover. The Cavs also were not able to stop Big Walnut from punching one in from 44 yards out in only 4 plays leaving the Cavs with less then a minute left in the half. I know the Cavs are athletic but will have to fix their mistakes if they want to move up the list and compete in the SEOAL. This week will be another battle as they travel to D2 Wilmington.

8 Waverly 1-1 (last week # 7) The Tigers suffered a loss this week at the hands of the Jackson Ironmen. The Tigers have shown in 2 weeks this season that the offense is clicking, but the defense will need to catch up if they hope to compete for a SOC2 title. I think the Tigers will rebound the next 2 weeks but will have to be prepared for Ashland Paul Blazer in week 5 and the start of conference play in week 6. I think Waverly is still a quality team, and just ran into a Jackson team that is far ahead of schedule, look for them to still challenge in conference play.

9.Valley 2-0 (last week #8) The Indians won 14 to 0 this week against a Rock Hill team that I thought they would have beat by 28 or more. That didn’t happen but a wins a win. The Indians racked up the stats but shot themselves in the foot with penalties totaling nearly 100 yards. If this is going to be Valley’s breakout year they need to play with more discipline.

10. Oak Hill 2-0 (last week #10) The Oaks continued to do what they need to do this week and that is win games. With their weak schedule they have little room for error. Friday saw them roll through River Valley 38-0. Without losses above them they will have a hard time moving up until week 5 when they will get a shot at Minford. Till then the Oaks need to just keep wining. This week look for the Oaks to keep it up as they play the struggling Rock Hill Redmen.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Re: Power Poll After Week 2 from T_FB_A

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

No 2-0 Nelsonville York?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:No 2-0 Nelsonville York?

Please read the entire post. I got so frustrated by ppl doing this last year. I don't know why ppl don't read the rules for the poll. Did you notice that Logan wasn't there either?

Sorry to be so blunt but I want to drive home the point, because I had to answer this question 10 times a week last year.

ExTrojan
Waterboy

Post by ExTrojan »

Not bad.

I think Minford is a little high and Valley and Chilli a little low.

PHS and 'Burg will be settled this week

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Southeast Ohio is I 70 to Martins Ferry and 22 to Cirleville and 23 to P Town. We Are Southeast Ohio!

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Would love to see how SOCII teams would matchup against SEOAL South other than Portsmouth. Burg did play Ironton and Waverly played Jackson. Does Waverly play Chillicothe this year? Would like to see West play more SEOAL teams. It would make for a tougher non-conference schedule but it would garner more respect from these types of polls as well as possibly more points toward playoff contention.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

moonschein wrote:Southeast Ohio is I 70 to Martins Ferry and 22 to Cirleville and 23 to P Town. We Are Southeast Ohio!

Is this a joke? No where in my post did I say this was a poll for all of Southeast Ohio. If you take the time to read this is made up of the SEOAL South and the SOC 1 and 2. These are the teams I follow and have an interest in. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE TEAMS THAT I FOLLOW DO YOUR OWN POLL. I will enjoy the read.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

Nice job Trojan_FB_Alum

I think in the next couple of weeks some of these teams will be moved around somewhat...but they will have to prove things themselves...As far as right now...I think you have it right on...maybe with the exception of the burg and p-town....might be backwards...at least to me...but they will know this week....good job

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Moses Guthrie wrote:.... Would like to see West play more SEOAL teams. It would make for a tougher non-conference schedule but it would garner more respect from these types of polls as well as possibly more points toward playoff contention.

Your not the only one. I would love to see West get away from 4 O.V.C schools and pick up some tougher competition. I don't see no good in playing South Point, Cheseapeake, Fairland, and Rock Hill every year. I know these teams have some allright years,but for the most part the O.V.C is not going to get you playoff ready or even S.O.C. ready!

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Would also like to see a Portsmouth-Minford series again. These games sparked a great interest a few years ago and the scrimmage this year brought back the same interest from both programs.

TROJANFAN
Riding the Bench

Post by TROJANFAN »

Nice poll Trojan FB Alum

These rankings make much more sense to me than the ones published in our local paper. No offense to Minford, but does anybody really think they could beat Burg, Portsmouth, or West?

The way Ironton has been playing, it will take a monumental effort for anyone to knock them out of the #1 spot.

Can't wait to see how PHS and Burg work out on Friday.
GO TROJANS!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Moses Guthrie wrote:Would also like to see a Portsmouth-Minford series again. These games sparked a great interest a few years ago and the scrimmage this year brought back the same interest from both programs.

I agree with you, I always enjoyed playing Minford

Return to “Football”