Week 9 (8-0) Lucasville Valley @ (7-1) Wheelersburg

coop
SEOPS

Week 9 (8-0) Lucasville Valley @ (7-1) Wheelersburg

Post by coop »

Both teams coming off wins and both currently on win streaks...Valley at 8 and Burg at 7. HUGE game in Region 19, oh....and I almost forgot to mention...the winner of this game wins at least a SHARE of the SOC 2 title.

Here we go!!

GO VALLEY!

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Week 9 (8-0) Lucasville Valley @ (7-1) Wheelersburg

Post by Steely Dan »

Easily, the game of the week for week 9. Good luck to both teams!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Let's go Purple!!!!!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

haha, we need one deleted

Is What It IS
Waterboy

Post by Is What It IS »

Having seen both teams play, Valley is clearly the more talented team BUT sometimes the more talented teams don't always win. IMO Burg is gonna have trouble with matchups, starting with line play. and possibly Burgs youth may be a factor with this game and next. typically Valley seems to play their worst game against the Burg, while the Burg plays ONE of their best. We'll See

fan4sure
Freshman Team

Post by fan4sure »

Fido maybe the last 50 years the burg was the fav. but not this year. To say any different means you are ludicrous. Valley-35 Burg-14

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

sorry but Valley is a huge favorite in this, dont think those kids care a darn thing about the last 50 yrs maybe the fans do but this is Valleys yr, to deep to strong maybe next yr when this class of seniors graduate burg can start a new streak. Valley wins this game.

Is What It IS
Waterboy

Post by Is What It IS »

I agree with Fido. BURG is still defending SOC Champs

To be the champion, you've got to beat the champion
Last edited by Is What It IS on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

Is What It IS wrote:I agree with Fido. BURG is still defending SOC Champs

To be the champion, you've got to beat the champion
There's a big difference in being the champion and being the favorite..

Why does chicken coop have Valley ranked #2 in his top 8 and Wheelersburg isn't even mentioned. I think that pretty well settles this argument don't you?....but at least he was humble and benevolent enough to place his team 2nd so as to (pretend) not to show any bias. :lol:

..and Minford isn't mentioned either. :122247

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

I've seen Valley 3 times and Burg twice and I give it to Valley by 3 touchdowns. Valley is way to physical and too many weapons for anyone around here and I'm the last person anyone would call a Valley fan. Without Shears burg may have won 3 or 4 games this year but they do have him and Valley is the most capable team for containing him. I don't care if Burg won the last 150 meetings between these two I can't phathom a scenario where the Pirates beat them this year. Sorry. Valley 28 Burg 7

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

Sounds like that makes Valley the favorite then.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Man it's hard to due, but I've got to root for Burg this week.

One thing. I think Valley did a good job or gameplanning for West. West is a vanilla type offense similar to Ironton. You know basically what your gonna face. Valley can due alot of stuff and I think they did a good job of sandbagging a little coming into the West game. Now Wheelersburg has good film of what Valley likes to due. I think it made a difference last year and will again. Wheelersburg is well coached and they will have a gameplan that gives them a chance. Do they have the personel to beat Valley? I kinda doubt it. But they will compete.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

Last night a friend of mine somehow got ahold of a 20 minute highlight tape of Brandon Schankweiler from last year and the whole tape was from the Valley game. :lol:

(Before you all say it...there's probably one just like it from the Minford game. ) :mad:

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

if this wasnt high school athletics where kids graduate i would agree with that statement but it is, that championship team graduated last yr. Valley is loaded

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Valley has the better team this year. It's really that simple. Of course, that alone won't win this game. The game has to be won on the field. The only reason the kids know much about the streak is because those of us who are irrelevant to the game talk about it. Just to get rid of any questions for those of you who are wondering...it was September 25th, 1964 when Gene Tenace (who would go on to win the World Series MVP) ran for 386 yards in just 14 carries in leading Valley to it's last victory over Wheelersburg.

I've watched both of these teams play this year and Valley is better on both sides of the ball and in all facets of the game. I'm not concerned about accusations of bias. Those that know me know that I rarely allow my heart to trump my brain. And, to be honest, I'm right. At the end of the day, if you're right then you're right and all the arguing in the world won't change that. Now, I'm not an idiot. I realize that nothing that I say, or anyone else on this or any other website says, will mean a darn thing towards the outcome when both teams hit the field on Friday night. Both teams are playing for at least a share of the SOC 2 title and a better position towards a playoff berth.

I'm not gonna sit here all week and beat up the Pirates schedule. You have to play the teams you have scheduled and you cannot control who's having a down year and who isn't. This was just one of those rare years where the teams that Burg played in weeks 2-8 were all below average football teams this year. To the Pirates credit, I don't think it could have worked out much better for them. It definitely helped this young team experience quite a bit of success while still getting better every week. My hat goes off to what the Pirates kids and their coaching staff has put together this season. I have all the respect in the world for their program.

As for the game itself...I like Valley's chances up front on both sides of the ball. I believe the Indians are more physical up front and the Pirates lack the quickness advantage that I've seen so many Burg teams in the past have up front. I think offensively Yates and Keller are going to have time and lanes to make plays, and defensively I expect Valley's d-line to force breakdowns in the Burg offense and Valley's athletes at LB and in the secondary will be able to make plays and prevent big plays off of containment breakdowns.

Personally, the last time Valley was able to beat Wheelersburg is completely irrelevant to this game, as is last year's SOC title. I have great respect for both of those feats, but neither will put a single point on the board Friday and the last time I checked, you still have to put more points on the scoreboard than the other team to win.

I'm looking forward to an exciting night. Good luck Valley!!!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

crazymidgets wrote:if this wasnt high school athletics where kids graduate i would agree with that statement but it is, that championship team graduated last yr. Valley is loaded

Valley is LOADED. They are extremely hard to defend. But they aren't at home and they aren't on turf. Better believe the grass will be long and wet, as it should be. Homefield advantage.

If Burg can get the game close into the second half, the pressure will be all on Valley and their coaching staff. How will they react?

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

Jesco White wrote:it was September 25th, 1964 when Gene Tenace (who would go on to win the World Series MVP) ran for 386 yards in just 14 carries in leading Valley to it's last victory over Wheelersburg.
Not only did Valley beat them that year, so did every body else...litterally...

The SOC History I have access to says that they were 0-10 that year.

Wait til you tangle with the Falcons !!!!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

FIDO wrote:..........and the intelligent voice enters the debate/equation.........I never argue with a fellow Indian........I have been silenced by the smart one! I told ya'll the New Orleans witch doctor can work miracles and she doesn't puddy foot around either. :12224 She woke Jesco up from a deep slumber with her vision! :mrgreen:

GO INIDANS!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

wink wrote:
Jesco White wrote:it was September 25th, 1964 when Gene Tenace (who would go on to win the World Series MVP) ran for 386 yards in just 14 carries in leading Valley to it's last victory over Wheelersburg.
Not only did Valley beat them that year, so did every body else...litterally...

The SOC History I have access to says that they were 0-10 that year.

Wait til you tangle with the Falcons !!!!!
OK

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Jesco - Very well put. If you believe in all the hype, and the streaks, why even play the game? You strap on your helmet and go play, and majority of the time, the best team wins. This is going to be a heck of a game. Streaks do get broken, and this could be the year.

My alma mater Woodsfield/Monroe Central beat New Matamoras Frontier from the time they started their football program (1967 or 68) until 2004. 10/22/2004 that streak ended, and has since resumed. It is inevitable, can't win every year.

Good luck to both teams, this one ought to be a great show next Friday night.

Return to “Football”