2009 SEOAL Previews: Chillicothe Cavaliers

loganlocos
SEOP

2009 SEOAL Previews: Chillicothe Cavaliers

Post by loganlocos »

2009 Chillicothe Cavaliers

Head Coach: Bill Davidson (7th Year, 31-32 overall)
2008 Record: 8-4 (6-1), DIII Playoff Qualifier
Division: III, Region 12
Returning Starters: 5 (1 OFF, 4 DEF)
Key Losses: Caleb Knights (QB/DB), Eric Young (RB), Ron Smith (WR/LB), Alex Grow (WR/DB), Jordan Benson (WR/DB), Kevin Scott (WR), Tyler Dunkle (OL), Danny Russell (OL/DL), Kent Parker (OL), Brice Clymer (OL), Curt Smith (FB/DL), Tyler Vest (TE/NG), Jackque Wong (DL), Kyle Ramsey (DL)
Key Returnees: J.T. Gray (OL), Danny Demick (FB/DL), Shay Netter (LB), Isaac Beverly (WR/DB), Casey Oates (RB/DB), Drew Basil (K/P)

2009 Schedule:
Aug. 28 – VS Hamilton Township
Sept. 4 - VS Big Walnut
Sept. 11 - AT Wilmington
Sept. 18 – VS Zanesville
Sept. 25 – VS Portsmouth *
Oct. 2 – AT Ironton *
Oct. 9 – AT Gallia Academy *
Oct. 16 – VS Jackson *
Oct. 23 – AT Warren *
Oct. 30 – AT Logan *

Projected Line-Up:
Offense
QB – Shay Netter – 6’2 – 230lbs – SR
RB – Casey Oates – 6’1 – 170lbs – JR
FB – Danny Demick – 6’0 – 240lbs – SR
WR – Marty Dunn – 5’10 – 160lbs – SR
WR – Isaac Beverly – 6’1 – 160lbs – JR
WR – Troy Netter – 5’10 – 160lbs – SR
OT – J.T. Gray – 5’10 – 300lbs – SR
OG – Skyler Mallow – 6’0 – 240lbs – JR
C – Tyler Holz – 5’9 – 215lbs – SR
OG – David Gearhart – 5’10 – 255lbs – JR
OT – Dylan Fisher – 6’1 – 310lbs - SR
Other Offensive Players:
OL – Ryan Ferguson – 5’10 – 210lbs – SR
OL – Chris Wemer – 6’0 – 215lbs – JR
OL – Chase Thomas – 6’0 – 230lbs – Soph
WR – Deon Collins – 6’2 – 165lbs – SR

Defense
DE – Danny Demick – 6’0 – 240lbs – SR
DT – Skyler Mallow – 6’0 – 240lbs – JR
NG – J.T. Gray – 5’10 – 300lbs – SR
DT - David Gearhart – 5’10 – 255lbs – JR
DE – Grant Markley – 5’11 – 200lbs – JR
LB – Shay Netter – 6’2 – 230lbs – SR
LB – Jai Cutter – 6’0 – 190lbs – SR
CB – Marty Dunn – 5’10 – 160lbs - SR
FS – Casey Oates – 6’1 – 170lbs – JR
SS – Deon Collins – 6’2 – 165lbs – SR
CB – Isaac Beverly – 6’1 – 160lbs - JR
Other Defensive Players:

2009 Outlook:

Coming Soon!

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: 2009 SEOAL Previews: Chillicothe Cavaliers

Post by loganlocos »

I've got GAHS, Ironton, and Jackson ready to go as well.

Need the most help with Chillicothe. Any input would be appreciated.

RAVEN
Waterboy

Post by RAVEN »

It's going to be a long season for the Cavs on offense this up coming season.The Cavs have no Quarterback.The ones that they have out there are pretty bad.The one quit his 7th grade year.The other kid has never played the position before.The other kid is incoming freshman with no experience.Thats one thing I didn't understand my senior year why didn't coach davidson prep a young qb knowing that he didn't have one coming up this up coming season.Instead he ran 2 seniors last year at the qb spot which was caleb and alex.Only thing I can give this up coming seniors hang in there and maybe one day the offensive coaches will wake up.The only hope for this year team is for Donta Thompson to come out and play the qb spot.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Great GREAT post Raven lol

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Wow!
Should Chilli even field a team in 2009?
It's all gloom and doom in Ohio's first & third capitol.

wildeyes7679
Waterboy

Post by wildeyes7679 »

When faced with adversity, I always like to think of the scene from Apollo 13 where the chances of the crew making it back would appear to be slim to none. So with all due respect Ravens, I think "this could be one of our finest moments." I love this group of kids and I love their work ethic and their togetherness. Also, having a Hoosiers flashback, lets concentrate on the qualities of the kids who are playing instead of spending so much time worrying about those who are not. The quarterback situation will have a solution, I have great confidence that the staff will spend the summer developing a capable young man to fill the position! GO CAVS!!!

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

The Defense will be GREAT. Im talkin flat out stingy. Probably the best in the league as long as they dont play the entire game.

The line on both sides of the ball will be GREAT. Lots of athletic size and a lot of upperclassmen.

The receivers have speed to burn. They could probably give half their speed to the other team and stilll outrun them but they will be very raw. They are deep at this position like the 07(06 season)but will rely more on athleticism and speed than size and skill.

Their is lots of competition and skill for the RB position. Lots of speedy kids.

QB will be a struggle. If someone can sit back there and hand the ball off and ocasionally chuck it deep to one of the speedy receivers that is all we can ask. Just try to limit mistakes, manage the game, and get it to our playmakers.

IMO, the cavs need to keep the spread offense to keep the playmakers at receiver on the field, but need to focus on running the ball behind that big o-line and controlling the clock. IF, they find a DECENT QB, they can throw to keep the D from loading the box. Reverses and jet sweeps could be a big part of the offense next season as well as the everpresent bubble screen. The defense will give them a chance to win ANY game. I look for some 10-7 or 6-0 victories, especially early in the season. The offense only needs to manage the clock and get to the 30 so Drew Basil can kick field goals all season. The defense will be flat stingy and I think the Cavs have a chance to ride that defense to another playoff appearance in 2009.

RAVEN
Waterboy

Post by RAVEN »

Great post Gymrat.I hope my former team mates have a great season.I will be checking on them from college and making a couple of games.
gymrat wrote:The Defense will be GREAT. Im talkin flat out stingy. Probably the best in the league as long as they dont play the entire game.

The line on both sides of the ball will be GREAT. Lots of athletic size and a lot of upperclassmen.

The receivers have speed to burn. They could probably give half their speed to the other team and stilll outrun them but they will be very raw. They are deep at this position like the 07(06 season)but will rely more on athleticism and speed than size and skill.

Their is lots of competition and skill for the RB position. Lots of speedy kids.

QB will be a struggle. If someone can sit back there and hand the ball off and ocasionally chuck it deep to one of the speedy receivers that is all we can ask. Just try to limit mistakes, manage the game, and get it to our playmakers.

IMO, the cavs need to keep the spread offense to keep the playmakers at receiver on the field, but need to focus on running the ball behind that big o-line and controlling the clock. IF, they find a DECENT QB, they can throw to keep the D from loading the box. Reverses and jet sweeps could be a big part of the offense next season as well as the everpresent bubble screen. The defense will give them a chance to win ANY game. I look for some 10-7 or 6-0 victories, especially early in the season. The offense only needs to manage the clock and get to the 30 so Drew Basil can kick field goals all season. The defense will be flat stingy and I think the Cavs have a chance to ride that defense to another playoff appearance in 2009.

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

ttt

chillout
Riding the Bench

Post by chillout »

The biggest problem will be finding a QB. I think the league is a little down this year compared to years past. But it should be an average season. Best of luck cavs!!!

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

If and I mean if Donta Thompson comes out and can keep his head above water he can make that QB spot something fearsome!!! Now those are big IFS because no matter what you say to that boy he never listens! Shay is a great athlete but his bread and butter is at the LB position so I hope he doesnt have to play both sides of the ball! Regardless the CAVS will be a very good team. This will be Coach D's best defense ever,might be best defense ever at Chillicothe!

chillout
Riding the Bench

Post by chillout »

I'm not to sure if I agree with everyone else about the defense being that great. Granted, it'll be tough and definitely stand out over the offense but people don't realize that they lost a lot off of last years team. Shay is good, yes, but he had a lot of help from his big nose guard Tyler Vest who attracted a lot of double teams. Also, Curt Smith, Jackque Wong, Tyler Dunkle, Danny Russell and Kyle Ramsey are gone which is a lot of depth. The only returner on the dline who was in the rotation is Danny Demick. At the linebacker spot you're losing Jordan Benson who was a 2 year starter at safety before moving to lb this year. He was the coach on the field last year and Shay will have to step up big time in the leadership part which I think he can do. In the defensive backfield you're losing Ron Smith and Alex Grow who were two big parts. IMO Ron was the MVP of the defense last year. They do return 2 starters in Isaac Beverly and Casey Oates who should both follow up and have good junior years. That's my recap of this coming years defense. IMO though, calling them possibly the greatest defense chs has ever seen is very premature and unlikely. All in all, go cavs!

keeping it real
Waterboy

Post by keeping it real »

chillout, its very clear that you are a parent of one of last years seniors or you are a graduating senior from that class. You are right when you say they've lost alot on the line from last year. Say what you will but Netter had 151 tackles and there is no way that you can say he didn't deserve defensive player of the year. That my friend is alot of tackles. Last years teamed played as a team and it showed!!! IMO they should have beat Logan Elm! However, it didn't happen. Every year seniors leave and other players step in and take over, thats football. For you to say that once a team graduates its seniors they won't be as good, is not true. Remember once upon a time the same thing was said about you're class. If you are a true cavalier you should'nt put down your x teamates you should support them instead.
What makes you think this team has no heart without the ones that have gone. If anything I believe last years teams heart showed this years team what heart is all about which is what upper classmen are suppose to do!! I guess you are one of the ones that don't want to see any team after last years team do good!

LJ Clemens
Waterboy

Post by LJ Clemens »

keeping it real wrote:chillout, its very clear that you are a parent of one of last years seniors or you are a graduating senior from that class. You are right when you say they've lost alot on the line from last year. Say what you will but Netter had 151 tackles and there is no way that you can say he didn't deserve defensive player of the year. That my friend is alot of tackles. Last years teamed played as a team and it showed!!! IMO they should have beat Logan Elm! However, it didn't happen. Every year seniors leave and other players step in and take over, thats football. For you to say that once a team graduates its seniors they won't be as good, is not true. Remember once upon a time the same thing was said about you're class. If you are a true cavalier you should'nt put down your x teamates you should support them instead.
What makes you think this team has no heart without the ones that have gone. If anything I believe last years teams heart showed this years team what heart is all about which is what upper classmen are suppose to do!! I guess you are one of the ones that don't want to see any team after last years team do good!

I hardly doubt that chillout is trying to put down anyone in the Cavalier football program I think he is just trying to be realistic. At no point did he say that he "wanted them to do bad" or "that they have no heart". I agree with keepingitreal that it's not always the case that a team will be worse the following year when they lose a lot of seniors but it's definetly a tall task to fulfill. There are a lot of guys on this years team that will be starting that have not played a snap of varsity football in their careers yet. I think this team has the potential to be a playoff contender and can have a good season if things go right but to say that they will have the best defense ever in Chillicothe history or anything else like that is just waaay too early to say and just being unrealistic.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

keeping it real wrote:chillout, its very clear that you are a parent of one of last years seniors or you are a graduating senior from that class. You are right when you say they've lost alot on the line from last year. Say what you will but Netter had 151 tackles and there is no way that you can say he didn't deserve defensive player of the year. That my friend is alot of tackles. Last years teamed played as a team and it showed!!! IMO they should have beat Logan Elm! However, it didn't happen. Every year seniors leave and other players step in and take over, thats football. For you to say that once a team graduates its seniors they won't be as good, is not true. Remember once upon a time the same thing was said about you're class. If you are a true cavalier you should'nt put down your x teamates you should support them instead.

i agree, i dont think chillout was degrading this years team. if anything he/she was being a realistic fan and that is hard to find on this site.

chillout
Riding the Bench

Post by chillout »

Thank you, in no way was I trying to put this years team down. Nor, am I a parent or former player, just someone who follows Chillicothe football closely.
Go Cavs!

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Reportedly, Basil was just offered by Ohio State.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

The Cavs will be fine this year. They lost alot of great athletes but have many left. With having Brookhaven and Sheridan gone from their schedule this year they will finish with a good record. Hammy and Wilmington are not close, not in the same class at all with a Brookhaven or Sheridan. That scheldule Chilli had last year was one of the toughest I have ever seen, simply nasty. Once again, they fall short to Logan but they will have a good season and the defense will be solid. And I agree, they should have beat Logan Elm. They also could have won the Brookhaven game as well. They just simply got beat up by Sheridan and Beat by Logan. Other than those two games they have a great year with that nasty scheldule. They will win at least 7 games maybe 8 in the regular season this year.

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

The Defense will be GREAT. Best ever is a near impossiblity considering some of the teams that have come thru. The 98' team, IMO the best team ever at Chillicothe, Had a D-1 football recruit at about 1/3 of its positions. No team, especially now with declining enrollment, will ever match that team especially on defense.

crazyzilla67
Waterboy

Post by crazyzilla67 »

hey guys this tank listen no matter what anyone says go out and fight. never give in or up we are the cavaliers always the underdogs always underestimated. dig deep just when you can't go on dig deeper logan already believes they have everything in the bag i say you can't predict the future we can win after all we are the bad news bears of football hang in there and know ill be there yelling my head off see ya aug 28 guys tank class of 1985 loud proud old school

Return to “Football”