OHSAA Board of Directors Update 4/13 Football changes

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

OHSAA Board of Directors Update 4/13 Football changes

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

From OHSAA.ORG

April 13, 2009

To All Athletic Administrators:

A few items of importance that were passed at recent Board of Directors’ meetings that we thought you should be aware of. These items have a direct impact on Athletic Administrators and you should know these now. The Board approved:

1. A third football preseason contest is now permitted. A preseason contest that occurs August 21 or 22 may be a “Jamboree,” which is a preseason contest played under game conditions, including admission charges. More information will be forthcoming to schools soon.

2. Football coaches are permitted 10 days of instruction in June and July (was seven days in 2008). Activities permitted are described under Section 4 of the OHSAA’s general sport regulations and Section 4.4 in the football sport regulations.

3. The start of football practice may now begin on Monday, August 3, 2009 for both Junior High and High School.

4. Junior High Football teams will now be permitted a second scrimmage, which in 2010 will be changed to add an additional GAME on the schedule in lieu of a scrimmage.

85inside
S

Re: OHSAA Board of Directors Update 4/13 Football changes

Post by 85inside »

Hopefully the "jamboree" concept will involve charity work and not go to pad the coffers of the OHSAA. The OHSAA playoffs already do that.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I want to see NY vs. Logan as the Jamboree Game!!!!!!!

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

The "Jamboree" would not go to the OHSAA, it would go to the host school. As I understand it, the "Jamboree" is nothing more than what we have a called a preview for years. It would be cool to turn it into a county wide football day. For example in Washington County: (only game combination that don't involve already scheduled regular season match-ups)

All Games held at Don Drumm Stadium
Game 1: Frontier v. Belpre
Game 2: Warren v. Waterford
Game 3: Fort Frye v. Marietta

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

It would be great to see Ironton take on one of the county schools and raise some scholly money.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I want to see NY vs. Logan as the Jamboree Game!!!!!!!

It never fails that when i run into someone from Nelsonville who has recently graduated they think they can beat us. Would be good for both towns, really put one in its place 8)

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

A Logan versus Nelsonville game would get out of hand quickly.

I know that comparing opponents is not the end all, be all, but lets use Ironton as the comparison point.

NY lost by 15 and Logan beat Ironton by about 30, so I think that tells the story there!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

boogerred wrote:A Logan versus Nelsonville game would get out of hand quickly.

I know that comparing opponents is not the end all, be all, but lets use Ironton as the comparison point.

NY lost by 15 and Logan beat Ironton by about 30, so I think that tells the story there!

I agree that NY would more than likly loose that game but NY has always played very well against Logan.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

It would also be the highest revenue game either school would have in the entire regular season. Sounds like the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise some serious money without the consequences of a won/loss record. That's why it would be an ideal game for NY and Logan since they stopped playing in the regular season in 2003. No one - not Trimble, not Athens, not any of the TVC OHIO schools -can pack Boston Field like the Buckeyes/Chieftans game! And I'm sure this matchup would also generate more revenue at Logan then Logan vs. any of the SEOAL schools. So if the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise money for the schools without the consequences of facing a regular season loss, I don't see why it shouldn't be a Logan vs. NY game.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:

It would also be the highest revenue game either school would have in the entire regular season. Sounds like the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise some serious money without the consequences of a won/loss record. That's why it would be an ideal game for NY and Logan since they stopped playing in the regular season in 2003. No one - not Trimble, not Athens, not any of the TVC OHIO schools -can pack Boston Field like the Buckeyes/Chieftans game! And I'm sure this matchup would generate more revenue then Logan vs. any of the SEOAL schools. So if the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise money for the schools without the consequences of facing a regular season loss, I don't see why it shouldn't be a Logan vs. NY game.

I will agree that NY would travel to Logan better than all but one other SEOAL school that would come to Logan and thats Ironton. I agree that it would be great for both programs.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I dont think the purpose of a scrimmage is to make money.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

grizzlynatural wrote:
NYBuckeye96 wrote:

It would also be the highest revenue game either school would have in the entire regular season. Sounds like the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise some serious money without the consequences of a won/loss record. That's why it would be an ideal game for NY and Logan since they stopped playing in the regular season in 2003. No one - not Trimble, not Athens, not any of the TVC OHIO schools -can pack Boston Field like the Buckeyes/Chieftans game! And I'm sure this matchup would generate more revenue then Logan vs. any of the SEOAL schools. So if the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise money for the schools without the consequences of facing a regular season loss, I don't see why it shouldn't be a Logan vs. NY game.

I will agree that NY would travel to Logan better than all but one other SEOAL school that would come to Logan and thats Ironton. I agree that it would be great for both programs.

i would agree also. i've been to both field in the last year. Boston would be flatout OVER FLOWING! nelsonville would bring the biggest vistor crowd of any team to logan. maybe the TVC and SEOAL could do a BIG TEN vs SEC kinda thing.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

NY lost by 15 and Logan beat Ironton by about 30, so I think that tells the story there![/quote]

It would also be the highest revenue game either school would have in the entire regular season. Sounds like the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise some serious money without the consequences of a won/loss record. That's why it would be an ideal game for NY and Logan since they stopped playing in the regular season in 2003. No one - not Trimble, not Athens, not any of the TVC OHIO schools -can pack Boston Field like the Buckeyes/Chieftans game! And I'm sure this matchup would generate more revenue then Logan vs. any of the SEOAL schools. So if the purpose of this jamboree game is to raise money for the schools without the consequences of facing a regular season loss, I don't see why it shouldn't be a Logan vs. NY game. [/quote]
I will agree that NY would travel to Logan better than all but one other SEOAL school that would come to Logan and thats Ironton. I agree that it would be great for both programs.[/quote]

i would agree also. i've been to both field in the last year. Boston would be flatout OVER FLOWING! nelsonville would bring the biggest vistor crowd of any team to logan. maybe the TVC and SEOAL could do a BIG TEN vs SEC kinda thing.[/quote]

I think you mean Big 10 vs MAC kinda thing but i get what your saying lol

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

How about changing the current scrimmage against Sheridan into the exhibition game? I'd definitley pay to see that!

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

schenk11 wrote:The "Jamboree" would not go to the OHSAA, it would go to the host school. As I understand it, the "Jamboree" is nothing more than what we have a called a preview for years. It would be cool to turn it into a county wide football day. For example in Washington County: (only game combination that don't involve already scheduled regular season match-ups)

All Games held at Don Drumm Stadium
Game 1: Frontier v. Belpre
Game 2: Warren v. Waterford
Game 3: Fort Frye v. Marietta

The old SVAC used to have previews that were a half of a game.

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

What about this idea. A SVC+ Chillicothe Preview at the paints Stadium
Game1 at 11
Game 2 at 2
Game 3 at 5
Game 4 at 8

Game 1,2,3 include SVC schools playing each other. Or...include the SOC and make it SVC vs SOC for the first 3 games.
Game 4 is Chilli versus the defending SVC Champion (Westfall)

Each game is played Varsity with a total game situation untill half time. At that time a winner is crowned and the second half is a J.V. live scrimmage.

That would be fun for bragging rights and bring in a good crowd. Then all the money is either split between the schools or donated to a local charity.

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

Just wanted to say. I think that is thebest idea I've ever had... Actually, that may be the best idea ANYONE has ever had. lol.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

grizzlynatural wrote:I will agree that NY would travel to Logan better than all but one other SEOAL school that would come to Logan and thats Ironton. I agree that it would be great for both programs.

I disagree with that. Ironton hasn't brought anyone to Logan the last couple of years. Lancaster has been BY FAR our largest crowd. Jackson would bring the biggest crowd, and Gallia would have had a pretty nice crowd last year if the weather had been better.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

I dont consider any SEOAL traveling crowd that comes to Logan a "crowd". A difference of 200 more or less poeple on the other sidelines dont really make much of a difference.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

actually, for all the talk last year between itown and logan(at least on here), the visiting stands were empty. i expected them to be at least half full for that game. itown probably brought the least amount of people which is surprising.

Return to “Football”