2012 Logan Chieftains - A look ahead

loganlocos
SEOP

2012 Logan Chieftains - A look ahead

Post by loganlocos »

Now that everyone in southeast Ohio is done on the gridiron until next August, I thought I would give a preview on the 2012 Logan Chieftains. Obviously the last two seasons have been below par, but the purple and white had a lot of youth play a TON of minutes this season.

I think the Chiefs have enough talent coming back to expect an improvement in 2012.

First, the schedule:

8/24 - VS Lancaster
8/31 - VS Northland
9/07 - AT Newark
9/14 - AT Jonathan Alder
9/21 - VS Nelsonville-York
9/28 - AT Portsmouth *
10/05 - AT Jackson *
10/12 - VS Chillicothe *
10/19 - VS Gallia Academy *
10/26 - AT Warren *

Now, position-by-position:

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Jack Music returns after starting 7 games last season playing 5 3/4 of the Chieftains 10 games. Music played very well when called upon, including two of the biggest games against Lancaster and Nelsonville-York. He could have a bright future if he continues to show improvement.

BUT, Caleb Llewellen was also a bright spot for the freshman squad and will look to compete for a chance to take snaps next season for the Varsity Chiefs.

Tailback: Obviously Cory McCarty will be the main ball carrier again in 2012, for the 3rd straight year. Only injury kept him from being a 1,000 yard rusher last season. Expect a big season from the senior.

Nick Maniskas and/or Isaac Schmeltzer along with Sophomore Dean Jordan will add depth as well. I expect Schmeltzer and Maniskas to be used at receiver as well in 2012 despite both showing ability at tailback. Dean Jordan had a great season with the freshmen last year.

Fullback: Senior Michael Simpson missed the second half of last season due to a collarbone injury, but I look for him to get this job back next fall. However, I'm not sure he'll also play defense again with Nick Kost able to fill that role.

Kost will be a back-up along with Austin Scarberry and Shawn Tackett, all three were sophomores last season.

Receiver: Josh Fridley was a solid option as the third receiver in 2011 and returns. Expect both Schmeltzer and Maniskas to play a lot at receiver - they both have speed, especially Maniskas, and Schmeltzer is a natural receiver.

Tight End: Pretty open here IMO. Charles Paulson who played defensive end as a sophomore last season has a build that may make him a more threatening TE if he can learn to be a competent blocker. Senior Garrett Tutweiler who played linebacker last season could contend for time at TE and finally junior Chance White played with the JVs last season.

Right Tackle: Lucas Branson is a returning starter and played well for the Chieftain offense last season. Dylan Manley and brother Caleb Branson adds depth.

Right Guard: Brock Emerson is another returning starter up front. Jesse Needs and Nick Schneider are also juniors who add depth.

Center: Caleb Myers was the center with the JVs last season and appears to be the favorite entering the next campaign.

Left Guard: The other guard spot seems to be very open with Needs and Schneider competing with possibly Dylan Manley for this spot.

Left Tackle: Caleb Branson is a returning starter at left tackle with Manley competing for time here as well.

DEFENSE

Coming Soon

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Re: 2012 Logan Chieftains - A look ahead

Post by WitnessProtection »

Logan 2012 sked (2011 regular season record in parentheses)

8/24 - VS Lancaster (5-5; D1)
8/31 - VS Northland (4-6; D2)
9/07 - AT Newark (0-10; D1)
9/14 - AT Jonathan Alder (10-0, playoff team; D3)
9/21 - VS Nelsonville-York (9-1, playoff team; D5)
9/28 - AT Portsmouth * (3-7; D4)
10/05 - AT Jackson * (10-0 playoff team; D3)
10/12 - VS Chillicothe * (3-7; D2)
10/19 - VS Gallia Academy * (6-4; D3)
10/26 - AT Warren * (5-5; D2)

Swapping out Pick North and Reynoldsburg for Northland and Newark could help, depending on what kind of talent those two programs will have in 2012.
Good luck to the Chiefs in 2012.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Newark is horrible(being honest not mean)
They have talent in the Jr class.

If N.C. plays a Sat game that week I will take this game in, as my Fri game.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Newark has been bad should be a win for Logan,not sure about Northland,Logan has historically struggled with speedy teams, Northland looked down last year,but made the playoffs the year before so who knows what you'll get from them...

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

should be a better season in 2012. there is some talent moving up the ladder.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Totally agree on Newark (Nerk). Watched Zanesville roll them up in Week 1. Some good individual talent in spots, but no depth at all.
MaxPreps only showing 22 kids on the Northland roster for 2011. That can't be correct for a D2 school, can it??? I guess it could, but that seems odd to me for a school that has an enrollment of 430 boys, according to OHSAA.
Northland's wins came against Linden McKinley (3-7), Cols. East (1-9), Centennial (2-8), and Whetstone (2-8).

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

8/24 - VS Lancaster (5-5; D1)
8/31 - VS Northland (4-6; D2)
9/07 - AT Newark (0-10; D1)
9/14 - AT Jonathan Alder (10-0, playoff team; D3)
9/21 - VS Nelsonville-York (9-1, playoff team; D5)
9/28 - AT Portsmouth * (3-7; D4)
10/05 - AT Jackson * (10-0 playoff team; D3)
10/12 - VS Chillicothe * (3-7; D2)
10/19 - VS Gallia Academy * (6-4; D3)
10/26 - AT Warren * (5-5; D2)

NICE TO SEE A CHANGE TO THE SCHEDULE.....

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

WitnessProtection wrote:Totally agree on Newark (Nerk). Watched Zanesville roll them up in Week 1. Some good individual talent in spots, but no depth at all.
MaxPreps only showing 22 kids on the Northland roster for 2011. That can't be correct for a D2 school, can it??? I guess it could, but that seems odd to me for a school that has an enrollment of 430 boys, according to OHSAA.
Northland's wins came against Linden McKinley (3-7), Cols. East (1-9), Centennial (2-8), and Whetstone (2-8).
MaxPreps rosters are usually incomplete. I would bet Northland has between 40-50 kids. I think they are the biggest school in the city league. Have had some very good teams in the last decade. Will be a challenge.

The good news is that Brookhaven did not close as was discussed. If Brookhaven had closed the junior class (this years Sophomores) would have ALL gone to Northland (with the Seniors to be going to Beechcroft).

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

If this group comes together and the staff instills dicipline. and we develop a good work ethic. A 6-4 record is possible with the schedule. I feel this team will have very little room for errors and the staff must push the teamwork card!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

What happened to Pick North? Thought they were scheduled for one more year,Logan schedule all of a sudden looks a lot softer,,if they don't have a winning record next year there is major problems...

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Here is the link to the site for the Columbus City League Teams.

http://www.capcitypreps.com/

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

C-Bolt wrote:What happened to Pick North? Thought they were scheduled for one more year,Logan schedule all of a sudden looks a lot softer,,if they don't have a winning record next year there is major problems...
Pick North and Logan came to a mutual decision to end the contract after this season. I think Pick North felt very disappointed about being at home in week 11 despite their 8-2 record. No doubt Logan's 1-9 record was a big part of that.

Northland is no push over - they have played with Pick North the last few years as well or better than Logan. But its a LOT better game for Logan than Pick North.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

C-Bolt wrote:What happened to Pick North? Thought they were scheduled for one more year,Logan schedule all of a sudden looks a lot softer,,if they don't have a winning record next year there is major problems...
Let's be clear! If Logan fails to break even, then we must have some major changes within the program. It all starts with the head coach!

cowboy nut 88
Riding the Bench

Post by cowboy nut 88 »

LHS 72 wrote:
Let's be clear! If Logan fails to break even, then we must have some major changes within the program. It all starts with the head coach!
agree

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

LHS 72 wrote:

Hey, I would say with the 2012 schedule we should be 7-3 or 6-4 anything less is unacceptable!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Like to see some more of the football players out for track

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

noreply66 wrote:Like to see some more of the football players out for track
I totally agree, along with weight training we have a need for speed! Speed on the football field will cover and make up for mistakes. This upcoming season will be a make or break season for our program. Like I have said b-4 the coaches can not be totally friendly with the players, they must instill discipline and the team must respect the coaches!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

some of the linemen need to be out there throwing the shot put and discus

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Could Paladin weigh in on this topic. I generally rely on his info as accurate regarding Logan. I would find it interesting to hear his views on the additions and deletions to the schedule. Good luck to Logan. Looking forward to getting back on their schedule very soon.

Return to “Football”