Derek Roback Offers

hbk2016
Varsity

Derek Roback Offers

Post by hbk2016 »

Has Derek Roback gotten any offers since OU?

Great kid, hope he gets the ride he wants.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Derek Roback Offers

Post by Bleeding Red »

No disrespect to Roback because he is a good player, but most schools are not going to recruit someone who has mediocre games against teams that are not sending kids to D1 programs themselves.

Waverly needs a great season next year for him to springboard offers, and I just dont see that happening with the likes of Burg, Minford and West on the schedule.

Just my take, and I think there will be 2 other QB's in the SOC that will be as good as he is. They will all look great against the lesser schools, it comes down to leading the team to a very good season. Look at Walls, his senior year Waverly was tough as nails and they finished 9-1 I believe in the regular season.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Roback is the most talented player in the league. He has the arm, size, and speed to play major D1. But like BR said, it's hard for him to show what he can do when he's running for his life the entire game. He did well in those camps last year and I'm sure he will again. So maybe he'll get noticed there. I read where Ohio State had him up for a visit a while back. I hope he gets a good offer.

What's gonna happen with Walls now that Hal Mumme got canned at New Mexico State?

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

Bleeding Red-Maybe the reason for the "medicore" games is the talent surrounding him. No disrespect for the Tigers but Roback is on another level compared to those around him.
Walls had talent around him, alot more than what Roback has now. That is obvious. Put Roback under center on the team that Walls led and I guarantee he does just as good.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

roundingthird wrote:Bleeding Red-Maybe the reason for the "medicore" games is the talent surrounding him. No disrespect for the Tigers but Roback is on another level compared to those around him.
Walls had talent around him, alot more than what Roback has now. That is obvious. Put Roback under center on the team that Walls led and I guarantee he does just as good.

A true D1 QB recruit should DOMINATE a team like Northwest had last year (no offense).

Part of me says he is really good, part of me says very much over rated.

You wont find too many D1 QB's that didnt go well into the playoffs just about every year as a starter in high school.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

I'm not sure he'a great QB, maybe a good athlete. As always I hope he does well and goes somewhere though, I feel the same way about everyone from this area.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

You also to be a good D1 QB have to be able to read a defense. Just being better than everyone in an area that doesnt have the best athletes wont get you there.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

I agree with IRONFALCON. Roback is a very good athlete and I think he would make one heck of a safety at the D1 level.

Bleeding-I still think you have to take into consideration the talent surrounding Derek. Once again, I'm not trying to bash Waverly, but Roback had very little help. I think if he would have had better personel around him he would be able to show his D1 capability at the QB position.

Roback to me is a Safety/WR at a big D1 school, not a QB. Although it is hard to say what he would be capable of doing with the right talent surrounding him.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

You guys realize that one of the great receivers Walls got to throw to was Derek Roback, right?

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

What division is Waverly? Its not like these guys are playing Iggy, Pickeringon Central, Elder, LOGAN (lol) in the playoffs. The teams they are playing have the same kind of talent around them as he does maybe just SLIGHTLY better. If he was a true D1 QB then he'd make everyone he plays against look stupid.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Based on the one video i saw of Derek, hes a hell of an athlete, just not as great of a QB as some Waverly fans like to say he is.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

Derek is good enough that he was offered a D1 scholarship as a junior. Not a D1 college visit. Not a letter from a D1 school. A D1 scholarship OFFER. One also has to realize as JohnKnight alluded, one of the biggest problems with putting Derek Roback at quarterback is that you lose him at receiver. I wonder if it would help having a 6'4" 210 lb. kid who ran an 11.2 100 meters as a freshman at wideout along with the people we already have?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

grizzlynatural wrote:Based on the one video i saw of Derek, hes a hell of an athlete, just not as great of a QB as some Waverly fans like to say he is.

I agree, he is a good athlete.

But the video that was on SEOP early in the football season was against non conference opponents that Waverly scored tons of points on.

I agree that he would be a better WR in college, but again, like Griz said he is not playing the stiffest competition and they are shutting him down. Would he look better with a stronger supporting staff? Sure he would. That is why I said alot of the college offers are going to rely on how well Waverly does next year. You are not going to find many D1 football players across the board that didnt make the playoffs in high school. D1 players were animals in high school.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

True D1 players elevate their entire team to a different level.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

The schools are looking at Derek, not how well his team does. You cannot base how talented Roback is on how good his team is doing. I keep bringing up the same point, if Derek was the QB for the team that Walls had you would be able to see the kind of capability he has at the quaterback position.

With Derek the other teams game-plan was to shut him down. Their whole "theme" when other teams played the Tigers was shut down Roback, don't let Roback beat us. When a whole team is focused on one player, regardless of how talented that one player is, it is hard for him to succeed where as if he would have more talent around him. For Example, granted other teams tried to "stop" Walls, he had too many weapons surrounding him for that to happen (Williams,Roback,Good,Malone,Conley) not to mention a group of experienced linemen.

Roback is a D1 talent, end of discussion.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Having watched Derek play twice this year, I am willing to say that he is the real deal. Next year when his line matures more and steps it up some, he will have that extra time to deliver it. Also, we need to think about the playcalling. If you throw 40 times a game, it's a fact that your completion percentage is going to go down. Waverly needs to balance it out by giving the ball to a work horse every once in a while and lighten the burden some. This will force the defense to put more men in the box and try to defend the run more.

Derek Roback WILL be a D1 athlete if these things happen.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

I agree he has the talent to play D1, I think his best bet to go to a bigger school will be at WR or DB. I would be great to see someone out of the SOC make it a big time D1 school.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

If he has already been offered a D-1 scholarship, I guess someone thinks he is D-1 material. :roll:

CANNIBAL
All Conference

Post by CANNIBAL »

derek roback got offered a schlorship at shawnee state, opps i forgot they dont have a football team. hahaha

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

He has, and anybody who knows anything about football does.

Return to “Football”