Official State sanctioned 6 man football

sprinter14
Varsity

Official State sanctioned 6 man football

Post by sprinter14 »

Some of you on here already know this, but I'm a big Ohio historian and I am always going through old newspapers.

Thought it was cool and you all might like to know, that in 1937, the Ohio Sports Commission (a forerunner of the OHSAA) decided that small schools should be able to play football too.

Many schools in 1937 had graduating classes of single digits! So the state made 6 rule changes from standard high school football and officially sanctioned "6 man high school football".

The local newspaper I found this in continued by saying, "many area schools are considering fielding teams". As I continue my research in 1937, I will watch to see if any SE Ohio schools played this way.

Anyone out there know of teams who played "6 man"? Any posters on here around age 85 or older??

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Re: Official State sanctioned 6 man football

Post by The Exile »

I do know that Stoutsville High (the Clearcreek part of Amanda-Clearcreek, borders Pickaway and Hocking Counties) played 6 man football from 1955-1960 (schools consolidated in 1961). I think Amanda High might have played 6 man for awhile also, but were a full 11 man by the late 50s.
Stoutsville played in the 6-man Pickaway County Football League, which I assume included the schools that consolidated to form Logan Elm, and maybe those that went into Teays Valley. Not sure if Westfall, or the schools that make up Zane Trace, were in it.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Thank you aces.....I guess I was wrong in my assumption that this only lasted a few years. I had no clue there was 6 man football played up into the 60's. If this is the case, then I'm sure a LOT of people remember it.

School consolidations have made it to where about every school can field enough players to play in D-VI so this isn't necessary now. But nice to see that the state made provisions for the little guys way back in 1937.

FatCharlie
Riding the Bench

Post by FatCharlie »

LOL that would be a pretty cool game to watch!

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

they need to start 6 man football in the spring so if people want to play other sports they can still have enough for a team.

Return to “Football”