Post by RocketAtHeart »

Comments, predictions, questions?

Post 'em here.

I'm going with the Rockets 14-0.

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Re: Week 7 - Athens vs. Wellston

Post by Coach Skinner »

Going to be a good one if both teams come in healthy.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

It is not hard to see for Athens...

In their 2 Wins (Alexander & Vinton County)
Senior Cameron Tope has rushed over 100 yards...

It is up to the Athens line (which is playing great these last 2 weeks) to get this ball a rolling for Athens...

Also, the Athens defense is not allowing many big plays and are making things happen in Key situations ala Joe Stanley & Curtis Herron grabbing INT's. One coming on a fake punt pass and another as Alexander was trying to tie the game in the 2nd quarter...

As for Wellston, all I can say is they have 2 League Wins...
That's All I know, I will let someone from Wellston fill us in on some of there things happening...I do know this, Wellston is not the same team that went (0-10) last year or (1-9 after the forfeit game if this is correct info)...They are much improved...

I will say this...I am really excited for this game Friday...
Athens is playing the best ball they have played in 3 years...
For Wellston, I do not know much other than they are very much improved from last year...

This game has some KEY TVC title hopes for grabs...

"Just WIN Baby!"
Go BULLDOGS GO

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Wellston takes this one from the dogs

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

Athens keeps it rolling this week and wins it 20-14 for the homecoming crowd.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I'll take the Golden Rockets, 28 - 14.

Good luck and good health to both teams.

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Post by MuletownManiac »

Prater goes off this week and Lockard runs for the century mark, Wellston way too physical for the DAWGS, using Rocket power to propel themselves to a 35-14 win, GO ROCKETS!!! You guys are some bad mothers and Minford hasnt been challenged physically since they played you guys!!!! :122246 :122246 :122246

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ive seen both teams play ... Ive seen athens play every game via Nelsonville cable.

I watched Wellston - NY, and ive seen all the teams that wellston has beat thus far.

What i can say is this: Lockard is every bit as tough, maybe a little thicker and the speed is almost the same compared with Tope. I seen him get outside on NY and take it 20, 30 and sometimes even 40 yrds before being brought down. He's tough, really tough! Honestly, I think ARNOLD IS #1, LOCKARD #2 and TOPE #2b or even #3 in the TVC-Ohio.

Rockets QB, Cody Wilkett - is a darn good, accurate, passer ... I don't have my book in front of me but I believe he was like 10-17 180 or more yards Vs Nelsonville (Which is saying something seeing as Belpre only managed 140+ total yards friday Vs. the bucks.) #24, Ryan Darnell 6'0 190 WR, TE, DB - super tough athlete that can catch, run, run you over and play good defense. ... And then oh yea, Prater, a 6'2 or so 210 lb fullback is a player Athens has not seen all year. A big, agile fullback that pounds the middle.

The BULLDOGS will and MUST play total TEAM DEFENSE the entire game. Probably gonna have match-up 'one-on-one on the outside because they will need everyone close to the line to try and stop Locard and Prater.

Can they do it? Well HECK YEA THEY CAN! They just need to know and be prepared that this might be their 'toughest' game in terms of physicality and helmet-to-helmet contact from start to finish. If they can match Wellstons physicality on defense; then the Bulldog offense will be fine, I have faith in what they have been doing the past few weeks - they are balanced, desciplined and effective. Do that Friday, the 'Dogs have a good chance.

boilermaker
SE

Re: WK 7 Athens vs. Wellston

Post by boilermaker »

questionmark, Last year Wellston started 8 Soph and they took their lumps so to speak . Until last season the Rockets hadnt had a losing season since 1995 also a 0-10 seaon.In that time the Rockets won 2 league championships 2001-2002 and 2 playoff teams 2004 - 2006.
These kids have grown up they have played tough all year against some really good teams. They finally got that win against Belpre and this past friday against VC . If they continue to play hard and take them one at a time they should end up with a fine season.

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

I have talked about it on other threads, but I would really love to see this game........

I kind of see this as a TVC "ELIMINATION" game if you will...... The winner still has a shot of at a piece of the league title, but with 2 losses, the losser will have to wait for next year....

Should be a good game with some fine athletes featured on both teams.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I am going to take Wellston in this one....Would love to see Athens get us some more second level points but I just see Wellston pulling this one out by 10....Good luck to both teams.. I hope Wellston Stays healthy for their trip to Gallia....

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I think this game will depend on which Athens team shows up. If the Bulldog team of the past two weeks shows up, this could be a really exciting game to watch. If the Bulldog team of the previous weeks before that shows up, Wellston will run away with this game.

Good luck to both teams! Another historical rivalry that has been renewed! This one dates back to the 1920's!

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Good luck to both teams this one is too hard to call... both teams has improved over this season..

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

Wellston need's to contain Tope and Athens needs to contain Wellston's back's,can't think of the names,should be a whale of a game.Too close to call for me.Good luck to both teams.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Going with the Golden Rockets in this match-up.

Go WELLSTON :!:

RocketAtHeart
Waterboy

Post by RocketAtHeart »

I think Athens will have trouble containing Ralph Whittington, wearing number 00 for Wellston.

rut151
Freshman Team

Post by rut151 »

The Rockets get this one no question about it.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

Looks like a HUGE battle is brewing in A-town on Friday night. This is definitely a battle to be among the elite teams in the TVC. The winner stays in competition for the TVC crown while the loser leaves with two losses in the league. I think that the teams match up pretty evenly. Both have solid running games, Tope for Athens and Lockard for Wellston. Both have Stingy hard-hitting defenses that fly to the ball.

I think that the outcome hinges on how each teams supporting cast plays. Players like Darnell, Wilkett, Prater and Matteson for the Rockets and players such as Harris, Valentour, McCollum and Summers for the Bulldogs.

Add in intangibles such as special teams and turnovers and you will have your winner. Both teams have been doing a good job of both holding onto the ball and forcing turnovers with their defense.

No predictions here just think that it will be one heck of a football game.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

This might sound like a cliché, but this one will some down to who can stop the run and who will be able to run the ball.

Both teams are improving and coming off consecutive wins. I'd probably give the edge to Wellston.

MOBSTERMAN
Freshman Team

Post by MOBSTERMAN »

Wellston wins
I think they are the 2nd best team in the tvc

Return to “Football”