HOW MANY SCHOOLS HAVE A WEIGHT LIFTING"PHYS ED CLASS"

BLUEDEVILFAN6
Riding the Bench

HOW MANY SCHOOLS HAVE A WEIGHT LIFTING"PHYS ED CLASS"

Post by BLUEDEVILFAN6 »

HOW MANY OF YOUR PROGRAMS HAVE YOUR ATHLETES IN A PHYS ED CLASS WHERE THEY ARE ABLE TO WORK OUT AT THE END OF THE DAY UNDER SUPERVISION AND GET A CLASS CREDIT. DOES IT WORK WELL FOR YOUR SCHOOL?

BurgGrad6
SE

Re: HOW MANY SCHOOLS HAVE A WEIGHT LIFTING"PHYS ED CLASS"

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Wheelersburg has a weight lifting class... the students test at the end of each nine weeks!!!!!! it has worked very well!!!!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logan has a weight training class.

Coach Amyx (a phys-ed teacher) is the instructor. Of course a lot of the football players take it as an elective, but a lot of other kids involved in other sports or activities take the class as well.

Anyone who has met me knows I didn't take it, HAHA, but I knew a lot guys who did back in my day. Seems as relevent as the other electives offered at the high school (film study, speech, current events, etc.)

cant stop this
All State

Post by cant stop this »

Ironton does.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

All three thus far are winning programs!!!

ausa
Waterboy

Post by ausa »

paint valley does, and i believe westfall does as well

BLUEDEVILFAN6
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUEDEVILFAN6 »

HMMM...I AM SEEING A TREND HERE........... !!!!!!!

powerliftingnut
Freshman Team

Post by powerliftingnut »

Nelsonville-York Has this class. Phys ed teacher Rocky Smathers teaches it and does a very good job. Of course he was also an old assistant coach of Dave Boston sr.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

It sure doesn't hurt a school's athletic programs to have in-school weightlifting...

RocketAtHeart
Waterboy

Post by RocketAtHeart »

Amanda-Clearcreek does.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

RV does, a couple of the assistant coaches hold it 3 times a week, twice a day, once directly after school, and then again that evening for the ones that may play other sports.

pointer4life
Waterboy

Post by pointer4life »

RVFAN i think he means like a class during school, not after, and south point does.

BLUEDEVILFAN6
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUEDEVILFAN6 »

I FEEL HAVING THIS OPTION IN THE SYSTEM DOES NOTHING BUT HELP YOUR PROGRAM. MANY ATHELETES HAVE SEVERAL STUDY HALLS AND THIS WOULD ALLOW THE ATHLETES A TIME TO COMMIT TOWARDS WORKING OUT ESPECIALLY IN THE OFF SEASON. IT WOULD BE A SUPERVISED, PHYS ED CLASS AND GREAT FOR ANY PROGRAM---- SCHOOL SYSTEMS NOT HAVING THIS OPTION NEED IT !!

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

green needs it desperitly :(

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

Lancaster has this class

In addition to the weight training class during the school year we also have a certified Strength and conditioning coach that works with athletes after school and all summer long from grades 7-12. He developes work out programs that are sport specific for both the boys and girls athletic programs.

BLUEDEVILFAN6
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUEDEVILFAN6 »

WELL IT LOOKS LIKE TO ME THAT OF THE SCHOOLS LISTED HERE THAT HAVE THIS TYPE OF SET UP- THE MAJORITY ARE VERY COMPETITIVE PROGRAMS THAT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS - AND WIN YEAR IN YEAR OUT.... THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT HAVE SUCH A PROGRAM IN PLACE NEED TO DEMAND IT FROM OUR ADMINISTRATION.

IT NOT ONLY HELPS THE COMPETITIVENESS BUT SHOULD ALSO HELP PREVENT INJURIES......

burggrad_2000
Riding the Bench

Post by burggrad_2000 »

BLUEDEVILFAN6 wrote:I FEEL HAVING THIS OPTION IN THE SYSTEM DOES NOTHING BUT HELP YOUR PROGRAM. MANY ATHELETES HAVE SEVERAL STUDY HALLS AND THIS WOULD ALLOW THE ATHLETES A TIME TO COMMIT TOWARDS WORKING OUT ESPECIALLY IN THE OFF SEASON. IT WOULD BE A SUPERVISED, PHYS ED CLASS AND GREAT FOR ANY PROGRAM---- SCHOOL SYSTEMS NOT HAVING THIS OPTION NEED IT !!

BLUEDEVILFAN6,

Does your school not have a class?? i agree that it has to help, it cant hurt...lets see BURG, Ironton, Logan all have one...2 of the 3 teams is 7-0?? HUMMMMMM

earp
S

Post by earp »

Fairland does not!But I think we really need it!I think it would make all of our sports alot better!And would get kids moving and out from behind the playstation control! ;-)

BLUEDEVILFAN6
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUEDEVILFAN6 »

burggrad_2000 wrote:
BLUEDEVILFAN6 wrote:I FEEL HAVING THIS OPTION IN THE SYSTEM DOES NOTHING BUT HELP YOUR PROGRAM. MANY ATHELETES HAVE SEVERAL STUDY HALLS AND THIS WOULD ALLOW THE ATHLETES A TIME TO COMMIT TOWARDS WORKING OUT ESPECIALLY IN THE OFF SEASON. IT WOULD BE A SUPERVISED, PHYS ED CLASS AND GREAT FOR ANY PROGRAM---- SCHOOL SYSTEMS NOT HAVING THIS OPTION NEED IT !!

BLUEDEVILFAN6,

Does your school not have a class?? i agree that it has to help, it cant hurt...lets see BURG, Ironton, Logan all have one...2 of the 3 teams is 7-0?? HUMMMMMM

No unfortunately we do not at this point and it shows--- several parents and coaches have lobbied unsuccessfully for this option. the last comment i heard made was hopefully when we get moved to the new school-- but that may have been made to "buy time". in order to compete post seasonally you have to be strong with a strength program. We have to move our program to this level to put our young athletes on an equal playing field !!!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Warren has "Athletic Fitness" and it covers a range of things including lifting. It makes a difference WHEN the kids take it seriously. We have a good instructor, and that helps. However, I don't know that this alone is sufficient for football conditioning. Our team still lifts outside of this class and it is making the biggest difference. A class like this is great for maintaining gains "in season." For example, during basketball season when there isn't a lot of time to lift, this is of benefit in maintaining strength gains achieved during the off-season.

Return to “Football”