WK 5 Newport KY @ Coal Grove

Post by mattash »

Thoughts?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: WK 5 Newport KY @ Coal Grove

Post by Bleeding Red »

What is Newport KY's record?

I dont know much about them, but Coal Grove is big and fast. They hit hard, tackle well, run the ball well. They seemed to have a good passing game early on against Minford.

If Coal Grove shows discipline and cuts out the penalties, they can play with anyone.

Good luck to Coal Grove in this one.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I think in Ohio talk that means they are D5? With losses to a d6 and d2 school and a victory over a d3 school?

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

look for the grove to win out and go 7-3 with a tough early schedule

same scenario as last year really close battle for 8th in the region

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Seriously doubt that Coal Grove will finish in the top 10 in the region, even if they win out. The OVC is so bad this year that there won't be enough 2nd level points to get them in.
With all of that being said, I think Coal Grove will win this one with relative ease. The Ohio River can make all the difference in the world as far as level of play goes.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I still say South Point wins the OVC :idea: JMHO

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Post by MuletownManiac »

Good luck CG, hit em hard early and often.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

bLaCk-N-bLuE wrote:this looks like the first time in yrs. cg hasn't had a tailback gain over 1000 yards. seems they could always find a good tailback. is the cupboard that dry.is the line that weak. just curious.

also cg needs to learn to make adjustments at halftime. they have scored 1 offensive td in the 2nd half in 4 games. they need some good eyes in the sky to see whats going on and make adjustments.

hey fuzzhead whats your take on this.thx.

Coal Grove will have a RB with over 1000 yards by the end of the year. Delawder should be well on his way by the end of week 10.

Coal Grove is very self destructive, starting with the play calling to the players discipline. They lost 2 games due to turnovers, etc., and they really self destructed in Minford Friday night in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

The other tailback is quick, and with the talent in the backfield they should be winning more games.

JMO

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

As far as Coal Grove's problems: I've said since the season started that the line would be a weakness. People tried to tell me otherwise, but I stuck to my guns and I think that most people will tell you that the O-line isn't as good as it has been for the past 3-4 years. The backfield, however, has diversity and talent that runs deep. Coal Grove's depth at RB gives it the potential to switch gears and mix it up with the play-calling from play to play. They spread the ball around pretty evenly Friday - Delawder had 18 carries, Haynes had 10 carries, Brammer had 9 carries, and Sparks (with sacks included) had 6 carries (20 yards) and also went 5-14 passing - a lot of the incompletions were on obvious passing downs while CG was trying to come back.
Dare I use the term 'balanced attack' to describe the offense? Not quite, but more so than it has been. But that's what talent allows you to do....

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

It was more balanced. I wasn't SHOCKED, but surprised to see the number of pass attempts. I like CG trying to use Sparks to distribute through the air, because if it's not there, he has the ability to scramble and pick up good yardage. I think Coal Grove has enough weapons to be able to get more wins than the record shows. Does Coal Grove still work on the quick game? I'm not tootin' my team's horn... but when I was there we worked on our 2-minute drill week in and week out and Nick Roberts ran it pretty well when we needed to.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

All I can say about the Grove this year, we have to be one of the best 1-3 teams in the area, combined records of teams we have played is 14-2, and we have been in every game, we have the talent we just need to put it together.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

2trap_4ever wrote:All I can say about the Grove this year, we have to be one of the best 1-3 teams in the area, combined records of teams we have played is 14-2, and we have been in every game, we have the talent we just need to put it together.

Coal Grove has a good team and could very easily be 3-1 (losing to Minford of course) as they should have beaten Meigs and Paint Valley. Something is missing right now, but I expect they will find it Friday Night against Newport. One thing they need to start doing is subbing more. Minford had them breathing hard and on their heals in the 2nd quarter and they appeared completely worn out by the mid 4th quarter. I'm sure they had talent on the side line that could have played some D.

Regardless, good luck Coal Grove. You should be the favorite to win the OVC.

converterfan
Freshman Team

Post by converterfan »

i think the problem with cg is the coach. the penaltys have really killed cg this year and that needs to be taken care of by the coach. more disipline and they will play to there standards. imo the coaches need to take more control over the team and quit letting the team take control over the coaches. lucas seems to be gettin soft on these boys this year just like lutz is gettin soft on i-town.

i guess it comes with the age!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on high top
Waterboy

Post by on high top »

i said at the beginning of the season coal grove would be as good as the coaches allowed them to be. some questionable calls. but the kids have to make the plays.i believe coal grove could very well be 4-0. as far as minford we blew at least 4 scoring opportunities. i believe paint valley probaly had the best backfield we've seen so far. meigs we were totally unprepared i think still has to with not having a scimage.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

on high top wrote: as far as minford we blew at least 4 scoring opportunities. i believe paint valley probaly had the best backfield we've seen so far.

You gotta give Minford's defense some credit here. When you get stopped twice inside the 5, that is good defense. The play calling was too predictable. I called probably 90% of CG's plays just from watching the first 5 minutes of the Valley game. You all need to run a counter out of the Power I to keep the defense honest and also not always give the ball to the 3rd back in the Stack I. As for the backfield, too bad you didn't get to see Minford's true backfield. Ask River Valley about them...and ask Oak Hill after this Friday's game.

Good luck to CG. I hope you all get things turned around. Too much talent to have a losing season. Discipline is clearly needed though and it does start at the top.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
on high top wrote: as far as minford we blew at least 4 scoring opportunities. i believe paint valley probaly had the best backfield we've seen so far.

You gotta give Minford's defense some credit here. When you get stopped twice inside the 5, that is good defense. The play calling was too predictable. I called probably 90% of CG's plays just from watching the first 5 minutes of the Valley game. You all need to run a counter out of the Power I to keep the defense honest and also not always give the ball to the 3rd back in the Stack I. As for the backfield, too bad you didn't get to see Minford's true backfield. Ask River Valley about them...and ask Oak Hill after this Friday's game.

Good luck to CG. I hope you all get things turned around. Too much talent to have a losing season. Discipline is clearly needed though and it does start at the top.

Lets call a spade a spade here about last Friday, the officals helped a lot in that game, I mean Minfords coaches and players can be standing right on the field but we get flagged right as we are about to score, the officals stopped us in the red zone more than minfords defense did.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Lets call a spade a spade here about last Friday, the officals helped a lot in that game, I mean Minfords coaches and players can be standing right on the field but we get flagged right as we are about to score, the officals stopped us in the red zone more than minfords defense did.[/quote]

Lets really call a spade a spade. The official didnt stop you in the red zone. The official only gave Coal Grove a sideline warning and didnt penalize them. And if you knew what the coach said to the official (I do, I was 15 feet away on the sideline), you would be thankful that Coal Grove didnt get moved back 5 yards and that your coach was still allowed to stay on the sideline.

I dont think the official dove in there and stopped Coal Grove on the 1 yard line.

I dont think the official dropped the pass in the numbers on 4th and goal, and I am sure the official didnt want to throw a personal foul on that player after Minford just got one to make it offsetting and ruining Coal Grove's chances in the 3rd quarter (I believe that CG player had 3 personals, after 2 you are supposed to be watching from the bus).

You are pretty much saying that you got homered, and have the same attitude of the players and the coaches, focusing on everything but good playcalling and getting the job done. If you dont want to give Minford any credit, thats fine. But I certainly didnt have any tackles, blocks, passes or touchdowns in the books for the officiating crew!

But I give credit to Coal Grove. They have a fine team, I am sure they will win alot of games in the OVC, and they could have left Minford with a win if they had not self destructed from the staff down in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Return to “Football”