Win your league or make the playoffs; which one?

winsandlosses
Riding the Bench

Win your league or make the playoffs; which one?

Post by winsandlosses »

On a few threads this seems to be a point of debate. Seems like most teams goals used to be to win their league title, now it seems to be to make the playoffs. Many times one comes with the other but not always. Which one..League Title or Playoffs?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: Win your league or make the playoffs; which one?

Post by Mad-Dogg »

winnin your conference is always a first priority if you are in a league. then makin the playoffs.

conference title then playoffs then state

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Mad_Dogg wrote:winnin your conference is always a first priority if you are in a league. then makin the playoffs.

conference title then playoffs then state

Agreed!

sleeper
Waterboy

Post by sleeper »

I would say for the more consistently successful programs, like the Burg, anything short of making the playoffs would be a disappointment.

For others, such as Northwest, winning the league would be a huge accomplishment.

For most, if they win their league, they will make the playoffs.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

For me it's conference title...You may be one and done in the playoffs but you will always be league champs.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I would have to say League first goal,then playoffs .

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Wow, maybe this is a county school / city school thing. I would bet the majority of people at Portsmouth are happier making the playoffs. Most people out of your league don't respect a league title or even know who wins most leagues out of their area. However consistently make the playoffs and win a few games and everyone will know who you are.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

How about belonging to a good enough league that winning it means making the playoffs?

Then all you have to do is worry about winning the league first and the second comes along for good measure. Staying focus is such a part of success.

I would expect the AD to keep both goals in mind when making the schedule.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I think it is correct that 90% or better of league champs make the playoffs. However, if you start naming schools like Germantown Valley View,Lakewood St. Edward, Cleveland St. Ignatius, Solon, Youngstown Ursuline,Youngstown Mooney, etc. Most people couldn't tell you what league they are in (if they are even in one). They could, however, tell you they make the playoffs almost annually.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Playoffs. Winning your league is nice, but it can get old and you ned to take that next step up. Look at the teams on here. See how many fans brag about winning their league. Then look at the playoff record at that school. I could probably guarentee you that those schools have a less than stellar playoff record. Look at the ones that only talk about playoffs then look at their playoff record.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

league title, then playoffs.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

portsmouth_98 wrote:I think it is correct that 90% or better of league champs make the playoffs. However, if you start naming schools like Germantown Valley View,Lakewood St. Edward, Cleveland St. Ignatius, Solon, Youngstown Ursuline,Youngstown Mooney, etc. Most people couldn't tell you what league they are in (if they are even in one). They could, however, tell you they make the playoffs almost annually.

Well said, winning the league is nice but making the playoffs is what I care more about. There has been a few teams win their league and not make the playoffs, it's happened in the SEOAL.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

at Ironton...it's always been first win the league...then make the playoffs...then win one game at a time and hope for the victory in the big game...State Championship....

Though the league is the first goal...it's not the most important...State Championship is...it is the third goal...

Playoffs is the second goal...but most important goal of course is state....if you win the league...good job...but not great job...we aren't real proud of ourselves for only winning the league...

As for 2 old and the people from logan that back his views...Logan's Goal is to win the League...Singular....Goal...LOL :lol: :122246 :lol:

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Tigers90, you may have them there. They can win the league of minors but not get the championship.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Well of course you first win the league. And in todays playoff scenario where everyone makes the playoffs, the league winner should make the playoffs. If you don't your league had a BAD year.

now to address 90. Logan has won 4 STRAIGHT league titles alone this century. Exactly what has Ironton won this century???

and for you deman, "league of minors" what league you in??? I don't know but i am guessing they are lower division "minors".

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

See 2old your bragging about winning the league. People who have no playoff success brag about that kind of stuff. Teams like Ironton, Burg, Coldwater, Iggy, and others who have been to the big game and won and have had lots of playoff success dont care about league titles. They care about getting to the playoffs and getting back to Canton. thats the difference between a successful program and a wanna be program like Logan.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

And you think i am delusional???

In 2008 to compare Ironton with Coldwater and IGGY is delusional. The Burg is good, but they are not in the league either. Ironton will find there place this week.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

tigercannon71 wrote:Teams like Coldwater who have been to the big game and won and have had lots of playoff success dont care about league titles.

TC71 -

It easier for Coldwater to win the state than it is their own league. I hate to tell you, but winning the MAC means a lot in western Ohio.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Often you can be 2nd or 3rd in your league and still make the playoffs as long as you have beaten everyone else.

Personally, the playoffs are more exciting to watch as a fan.....but winning the league should be your teams 1st goal......and if that become unable then playing for the playoffs is a 2nd great opportunity.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

2old wrote:Well of course you first win the league. And in todays playoff scenario where everyone makes the playoffs, the league winner should make the playoffs. If you don't your league had a BAD year.

now to address 90. Logan has won 4 STRAIGHT league titles alone this century. Exactly what has Ironton won this century???

and for you deman, "league of minors" what league you in??? I don't know but i am guessing they are lower division "minors".

Here's some food for thought.

Four straight league titles and Two of those years Logan didn't make the playoffs.

year.........record......league
2004.........05-05......04-01......Tied for the League Title
2005.........08-02......05-00
2006.........08-03......07-00
2007.........09-02......07-00
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”