WK 5 Jackson (4-0, 1-0) @ Gallia Academy (2-2, 0-1)

ironman02
SEOP

WK 5 Jackson (4-0, 1-0) @ Gallia Academy (2-2, 0-1)

Post by ironman02 »

It's that time again...time for one of the best rivalry games in SE Ohio.

Jackson comes into this game at 4-0 after defeating Portsmouth in a nail biter at Alumni Stadium. The Ironmen are playing pretty well so far this season, but the turnover bug has still been a problem for them. GAHS, at 2-2, is coming off a loss to one of the SEOAL's best teams in Logan and the Blue Devils are battling some key injuries right now as well.

You can basically throw out the records when these two teams get together. Jackson was finally able to get over the hump last year, defeating the Blue Devils 14-3 in a defensive battle, but can they keep the momentum going and get a win at Memorial Field in Gallipolis?

What does everyone think?

2old
All Conference

Re: Week 5: Jackson (4-0, 1-0) @ Gallia Academy (2-2, 0-0)

Post by 2old »

Even though Jackson in the recent past have invented ways to lose this game, I have to go with the Ironmen this week. Just use the punishing running game. As you know i am not a fan of the scheduling of either team. However Jackson has taken care of buisiness and stands 4-0 and has themselves nicely positioned in Region 8.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Is it possible in any way to comment without your thoughts of Jackson's schedule?....I think everyone knows.

*Huff 20+ carries
*Arthur 10+ carries
* 5-7 balls thrown to Trace/Lindamood
*Within 1 of Gallipolis on turnovers

= win

I think Jackson keeps it going.

Jackson 24
Gallia Academy 14

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Ironman92,

I'd say you're right about the turnover battle. The team with the fewest mistakes will have the clear advantage. Jackson hasn't been turning the ball over like they did last year, but they're still making a few critical mistakes. Two of the three INTs this year have been returned for TDs, which is always a killer.

With Jackson's ball control offense, it's absolutely crucial to avoid turnovers and penalties. Each turnover is magnified because the big play capability of the offense just isn't there. Jackson is able to grind it out with the best of them, but they have to take care of the football to be successful.

If Jackson can take care of the football against Gallia Academy, I think they will be fine. I'm sure the Blue Devils will have their best effort of the season though. This rivalry tends to bring out their best.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Gallipolis struggled to stop Ironton's power running game, and Jackson plays a similar style. It should be closer than the Ironton game, but unless GA is healthier this week they probably won't be able to win this one.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Is it possible for posters to ever be happy?
i picked the ironmen to win. In fact it should be a blow out. If you were proud of the schedule i do not think it would hurt so bad to read about it. i am sorry but Wellston and VC do not belong on the schedule of a program like Jackson in the same year. As Logan posters have read many times.(more often than I mention scheduling) pick on someone your own size.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

can't say what will happen in this game. i have seen too many stupid things happen before to take away a win.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It doesn't hurt at all. I'm in complete acceptance of the schedule....but also understand your thoughts on it.

Basically I don't understand why you keep mentioning it....but continue to do so as you please....I can easily ignore it....but won't understand why you mention it in so many of your posts.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Jackson should be too much for the Bluedevils this year .I wouldnt underestimate the Devils in this game as Im sure Coach Wolford and his staff will not.Gallia always seem to get up and play the Ironmen tough.I will be pulling for the Ironmen in this one though to go 5-0.
Good Health & Good Luck to both teams.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I have posted the reason many times. If jackson does not get better the league does not get better. Logan has to play the league 7 times in the course of the season. I want this league to get better. The league will be better when one team is not dominating it year in and year out.

Besides that it will help the athletes at Jackson to reach their full potential. i beleive competitors like to be challenged. I believe the Jackson kids are competitors.

I do not see anything offensive in wanting this league to improve.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

2old,

I'm in agreement with you. I would like to see some changes on Jackson's schedule, but at the same time, I understand why those changes haven't been made. We'll see what the future holds, but right now, Jackson can only play the schedule that they are given.

Blue_Steel
Freshman Team

Post by Blue_Steel »

Let me throw a few things out about scheduling. I do not schedule games but neither do either of you and its easy to criticize others who do. But her are FActs( 2old brags about them all the time)
1. Fact football program financially drives most athletic programs.
2. Fact school like Desales and other of the good Cathlotic type schools that would be great competition bring no fans, thus no money generated
3. Proximity plays a part. Yes Jackson should play Wavery, wellston and VC becuase of proximity, and the fan base it brings. It generates cash.

No matter how you look at it your AD has to make business decisions that benifit his program. If scheduling River Valley or a Point or a Meigs brings in more dollars for the entire program and costs you less becuase of distance you are crazy financially to do anything different.

now as far as upgrading your schedule sure go schedule a ton of catholic schools travel to cincinnatti and columbus and Cleveland each weekend. Do that and yes your teram may be better overall skill wise but your program will become nonexistent from lack of cash.

Enough about scheduling unless you use ALL the facts

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

2old......I agree with your points and completely understand your concerns.....but if you are posting about it so much so myself and others can understand or remember......then it's just insulting to whatever intelligence we may have.

I heard you the 12th time and have zero questions and promise not to forget your thoughts about Jackson's schedule and how the league needs to get better and how the tougher schedules will accomplish that. The horse is completely decayed.

Can we please just talk about the football game on tap for next Friday?

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Blue Steel,

If you'll notice, I said in my post that I understand why Jackson is playing Wellston and Vinton County. Personally, I would like to see Jackson play some different opponents, but as I have said a million times, that's not up to me. Wellston and Vinton County bring nice gates and they make sense geographically. I'm not criticizing Jackson's AD or administration. Bob Kight is doing an outstanding job as AD at Jackson and I'm glad that he's in there to right the ship. I'm just saying that I know where 2old is coming from when he talks about scheduling to improve the strength of a program.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking about schedules. I'd rather not do that again this week.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Blue,

i hear you about Money. In fact although i think Wellston is crazy( they should build a gagte game against oak Hill and leave Jackson out in the cold). I think from Jackson's point of view they should keep Wellston on the schedule as long as Wellston is willing.

i am not sure it is a fact, but i believe for example if Jackson scheduled the BURG, the Burg would bring a larger crowd to Jackson than VC. i saw the crowd on nextv and it did not appear to be large.

As far as gates, they tell me Logan did not get much Gallia money last night.

My point is there are other teams in the area. NY travels well. Better competition year in and year out than VC. To be honest AD's get in a comfrot zone and just renew contracts sometimes. Shake it up. I beleive some of the Ross county programs are improving.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson-Wheelersburg would be a great game. Usually a very competitive scrimmage.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Look for Jackson to run Gallipolis over in this game.
Jackson will be too physical

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I can't fathom anyone from Jackson approaching this game like that.

It will be a battle regardless of the first 4 weeks of teh season, or the injuries or anything else.

Jackson will be in for a fight at Gallipolis.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Ironman92 wrote:I can't fathom anyone from Jackson approaching this game like that.

It will be a battle regardless of the first 4 weeks of teh season, or the injuries or anything else.

Jackson will be in for a fight at Gallipolis.

Exactly right. Jackson better bring their "A" game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

except for my type o

Return to “Football”