Portsmouth's Sophomore Class

billcox
Varsity

Portsmouth's Sophomore Class

Post by billcox »

Can someone who is in the know give us a rundown on this very talented class at Portsmouth? Who are the key players in this class? Which of them will be starting on the varsity squad this season? Did this team even have a close game in the lower levels?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth's Sophomore Class

Post by trojandave »

SouthernStorm: I don't keep up on the football happenings like I do for basketball, but I do know that 3 kids in that sophomore class should be playmakers this coming season. QB Josh Myers will take over for SEOAL South Player of the Year Shane Porter and the Trojans shouldn't miss a beat. From what I have heard Josh has a cannon for an arm and is very mobile, even more than Porter. Running back Angelo Jackson should fit in nicely because Portsmouth has a need there with the graduation of Wes Jordan. Jonathan Royster is a speedster who runs the 100 meters in track, and his speed will certainly be a big plus in the defensive backfield.

Those are 3 kids that I know of that should make an impact on the 2008 Trojans.

I'm sure that someone closer to Portsmouth football than me can include some more kids from that very good sophomore class.

cant stop this
All State

Post by cant stop this »

SouthernStorm wrote:Can someone who is in the know give us a rundown on this very talented class at Portsmouth? Who are the key players in this class? Which of them will be starting on the varsity squad this season? Did this team even have a close game in the lower levels?

Thisclass had at least three close games in recent years. Ironton played them very well 7th,8th, and 9th grade.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

cant stop this wrote:
SouthernStorm wrote:Can someone who is in the know give us a rundown on this very talented class at Portsmouth? Who are the key players in this class? Which of them will be starting on the varsity squad this season? Did this team even have a close game in the lower levels?

Thisclass had at least three close games in recent years. Ironton played them very well 7th,8th, and 9th grade.

I remember one game at the tank...in a down pour..that could have very easily went either way...what a great game that was.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

This class of students may rival the best class PHS has ever seen. Talent all over the place.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

Several of the sophs will start and see plenty of time.

Starter that are Sophs;
Josh Myers - QB
Angelo Jackson - RB
Brennen Howard - G
Casey Sanders - G

Others that will see time on Friday Night that seen some action last year;
John Royster -RB-WR-DB, Andrew Gulley - OLB, Alex Coakley - DB, Adam Bray -TE-DE, Kyle Simpson -WR-DB, Colin Staker - WR

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I agree this class has some talent and their linemen could be a weapon no one talks about.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Myers will find himself somewhere on the D1 level form what I saw last year. Probably a MAC or C-USA. But I feel the wideout from last years FRosh Team will probably be heard of for quite awhile.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

D1 in baseball will be his ticket.

pappy
Freshman Team

Post by pappy »

is it my USC trojans :?:

Trojan Spirit 76
Waterboy

Post by Trojan Spirit 76 »

I know these young men have been working hard in the weight room over the summer and during the recent camp....they are ready and willing to help out the upper classmen and have a winning season. This is a great group of atheletes....to say they're the best to come out of PHS...well we'll have to wait and see, but they have the Heart, brains and ability to do very well.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

DID THEY EVER PLAY THE GROUP AT OAK HILL THROUGH JUNIOR HIGH OR FRESH BALL?

Trojan Spirit 76
Waterboy

Post by Trojan Spirit 76 »

This group played Oak Hill at Oak Hill either their 7th or 8th grade year....I'm thinking 8th and beat them but cant remember the score. I think they were undefeated their 8th grade year also but I might be mistaken, might have lost 1 game but definately know they beat Oak Hill, because I was at the game

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

JUST WONDERING,B/C I HAVE NOT SEEN THE P-TOWN BOYS PLAY BUT I HAVE SEEN THE OAKS.P-TOWN MUST HAVE A REALLY GOOD GROUP OF KIDS I KNOW OH SURE DOES.SHOULD MAKE FOR EXCITING TIMES IN P-TOWN FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS!

UpOnTheHill
Freshman Team

Post by UpOnTheHill »

Portsmouth beat Oak Hill their 8th grade yr. OH dominated the 1st half and led 12-0 at halftime. OH gave the game away in the 2nd half and lost 14-12.
Portsmouth does have a great group of athletes and show great sportsmanship,which is hard to find with some kids these days that have talent.

Return to “Football”