Saving the SEOAL

bman618
Varsity

Saving the SEOAL

Post by bman618 »

Since there have been many topics about the demise of this league, how about a topic of saving it and keep it going strong?

Ideas?

Army
S

Re: Saving the SEOAL

Post by Army »

Plan in advance, set up a serious meeting at a centralized location within the SEOAL area, that can accommodate several supporting cast. Have a set number of personnel speak and ask questions. Have all the Supers, Principles, AD's, Head Coaches of every Sport along with certain Assistant Coaches, School Board Members, selected Boosters from each school, certain selected athelete students and selected town folk. Provide all the communication tools needed. Provide a power-point presentation, and provide break out group-sessions for all involved. Hash out all the concerns to include travel and schedules, elivate the worries to some that are contemplating on transferring to another league. Bridge a plan that supports all SEOAL schools, work out a common agreement among all those in attendence, vote on it and put the plan into effect for a selected period.

After Zanesville leaves in 2009, that will leave the SEOAL with 8 teams unless Vincent Warren Local and Marietta dart for the TVC-Ohio joining there former SEOAL counter-part, The Plains Athens. Likewise, revisit the concerns with Ironton's worries. A post from an Ironton supporter stated on here, that 80% of their coaches dislike the SEOAL and still want Ironton out of it. Is that really the case, I don't know?

Who really knows what the SEOAL will look like in 2-3 more years down the road. There is no room for expansion, because no body wants in the SEOAL. Maybe that should be revisted though. Just to see if there are any teams that might be interested but never asked the SEOAL. Maybe the SEOAL should have a plan to reach out as other leagues have to some of her former members. The main emphasis should be ensuring those that stay are committed. Chillicothe I believe will not leave unless the SEOAL went down to 4 teams and they were one of them. They will stay. I believe Portsmouth is staying too. The three original cast are staying, Logan, Gallipolis and Jackson. I am not sure with Ironton. And now, Vincent Warren Local and maybe Marietta going to the TVC with a new alignment set up as rumored.

Maybe split the 8 teams up and rename the divisions East and West, based on distance if they all are actually staying?

West-Division

Chillicothe D3
Jackson D2
Portsmouth D4
Ironton D4

East-Division

Gallipolis D4
Vincent Warren Local D3
Marietta D2
Logan D2

Look at playing the same format as now for Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Swimming, Cross Country and Track. Unless there is a better plan :?: :-D

In Football all teams play for the Crown. No more split divisions for that sport.

That's my 2 cents worth :!: :-D

GO CAVS :!: :-D

GO SEOAL :!: :-D

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

I agree that the SEOAL isn't going anywhere. GAHS says it is the most stable conference. Maybe so. It is also one of the least relevant conferences in the state of OHIO. When was the last time an SEOAL conference team played for a state title in any sport? Please list the sport and when it occured last. I think the first two posts are very good posts. It is taking a proactive approach to a problem. GAHS basically says there isn't a problem. Well, as long as Jackson, Logan, and Gallipolis are in existance, I guess there won't be a problem. Unless Ironton gets a whole lot worse in football year in and year out, they are going nowhere. There isn't another league that would take them and it would be a scheduling nightmare to be independent and not be able to schedule Portsmouth, Jackson and Gallipolis.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

I'd rephrase that and say SEOAL Final Four appearances in any sport. That is the state tournament and having a factor. No league in southeastern Ohio is real active playing in a state championship game. Alexander in girls volleyball, Circleville in softball are the recent examples and both lost.

I probably should have titled the thread Keeping the SEOAL strong. I do think travel and travel expenses is going to be the biggest factor in keeping the league with 6-8 schools and not slip down to the long time members of Logan, Gallipolis, Jackson and a few other schools.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

The SOC has had at least 2 schools play for state titles in the past 10 years. Wheelersburg in multiple sports and Portsmouth West in football. Other than Ironton, has ANY SEOAL school ever played for a football title? Have they ever played for a basketball title? The SEOAL is a non factor in discussions state wide regarding these sports? Zanesville in basketball and Ironton is football are the only two schools with state wide reputations and you say it is irrelevant that those schools are members of the SEOAL. I would think that the SEOAL would do everything to keep these teams. Of course, there is always the "Big 3" of Logan, Gallipolis, and Jackson. I guess those schools will continue on the long and proud history of the SEOAL. A long and proud history that noone outside of the Southeast corner, has ever heard of.

Army
S

Post by Army »

someoverkill,

Outstanding Post concerning the SOC. I do hope our Zanesville Blue Devils D1 Chillicothe Cavaliers D2, and the Ironton Tigers D3 will make you a little proud of the SEOAL in Basketball this season. :-D

The SEOAL in many other sports have made it to the Final Four several times. But that is not talked up like Football and Basketball is.

You also forgot the record Portsmouth hails in Basketball with State Championships. They garnished 1 title while in the SEOAL back in the 20's but the rest were when they were either independent or members of the GOL and OKAC. Just as Zanesville's run on those State Titles were made as members of the COL and BCC.

With Athens and now Zanesville leaving, plus the uncertainity of Ironton, it could be a reduced SEOAL again in just a few short years. Some still feel Ironton is leaving. There was a post on here stating that 80% of their coaches want out of the SEOAL.

Also the speculation that Vincent Warren Local and Marietta are trying to get into the TVC. If they dart, that leaves the SEOAL with 5 teams. In Football: Chillicothe D3, Jackson D2, Portsmouth D4, Gallipolis D4, Logan D2. In Football, that means scheduling 6 non-league football games. Four games would not be that bad, but six? In Basketball that means playing 12 non-league games. That wouldn't be that bad as to trying to set up a 6 game Football Non-League Schedule. I think Chillicothe would love to set up a 12 non-league game schedule in basketball. But in Football, if you are a Chillicothe D3 no one wants to play you in SE-Ohio. The folks in SE-Ohio still have the mind-set that Chillicothe is still a D1 OCC type School in Football. So the CAVS have to look North, West or North East Ohio for non-league games. Heck Jackson D2 is larger than Chillicothe City Schools.

Our CAVS would love to play a Waverly D4, Whellersburg D5 or Portsmouth West D5 from the SOC II, Circleville D3, Circleville Logan Elm D3, Ashville Teays Valley D3, Canal Winchester D3, Amanda Clearcreek D4 from the MSL-Buckeye Division, Greenfield McClain D3, Hillsboro D4, Washington C.H. D3, Washington C.H. Miami-Trace D4, and London D4 from the SCOL, Westfall D4, or Piketon D4 from the SVC, or a McArthur Vinton County from the TVC-Ohio. But none will schedule us?

We do have a series starting with Columbus Hamilton Township D2 from the MSL-Buckeye Division starting in 2010 taking Brookhaven D1 from the Columbus City Leagues place. We also have a 1 year deal to play Sheridan D3 at home next year from the MVL. But we still have Sunbury Big Walnut D3 2007 State Champs from the OCC. We also start a series in 2010 with Wilmington D3 from the Fort Ancient League. But with all that said, we would love to get a series with a local Southeastern or South Central Team.

Remember, Chillicothe has 4 SVC High Schools very close to Chillicothe City Schools in the surrounding area. One is just 2 miles from Chillicothe H.S., that being Chillicothe Unioto D4. Zane Trace D4, Londonderry Southeastern-Ross D5, Huntington-Ross D5. Then Bainbridge Paint Valley D6 on the West of Chillicothe on RT50 and NW is Frankfort Adena D5. Several kids that live inside our City School District have transferred to these local schools under the open enrollment Program. Most of this was due a few years back when our Levy did not pass. Now that it has, and we have new buildings, and more facilities, the kids are starting to come back to Chillicothe City Schools.

I still see Chillicothe staying even in a 5 team SEOAL, unless Portsmouth leaves, then so would Chillicothe. Thus, leaving that fuzy 3 Amigo SEOAL Image you pointed to in your post. I hope not, but many feel they see it coming. Gas prices, travel, closer leagues, etc, etc.

I do have a serious question about the SOC II. Why are they afraid to admit Ironton D4 and Portsmouth D4 to their Conference? Who are the teams saying no at the SOC meetings? I am puzzled about that. They seem with the reduced size of both schools and so many SOC and OVC teams play against them, that the SOC II would finally give in and let these two in the SOC II.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

I didnt forget Portsmouth's basketball titles. Who could? They had a run in the 70's and 80's that is far far superior to everyone in our part of the state. However, they did not occur while Portsmouth was in the SEOAL.

Army
S

Post by Army »

someoverkill wrote:I didnt forget Portsmouth's basketball titles. Who could? They had a run in the 70's and 80's that is far far superior to everyone in our part of the state. However, they did not occur while Portsmouth was in the SEOAL.

Neither has Zanesville's :!: :-D

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Warren girls basketball were state runner-up in '97

Also made it to regionals 5 more times since.

Several state placers in track and field for both boys and girls.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Many of them won't play Chilli because their non-league schedule is locked-in every year with rivals....Circleville and Westfall come to mind. Miami Trace plays a very competitive non-league schedule, as does Amanda-Clearcreek with Newark Catholic and Liberty Union on the docket. The Zane Trace game involves family.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

This league doesn't need any saving. It will be just fine. Do you guys think that Portsmouth will stick around for awhile, or if Ironton splits, then they will split with them ???

Army
S

Post by Army »

I don't think Portsmouth will leave just because Ironton would. Now if the SOC offered a package deal with both or none, you bet they would exit from the SEOAL, in a mega second. But who would blame them for that type of move. Just my thoughts on this matter. :-D

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Army wrote:I don't think Portsmouth will leave just because Ironton would. Now if the SOC offered a package deal with both or none, you bet they would exit from the SEOAL, in a mega second. But who would blame them for that type of move. Just my thoughts on this matter. :-D

The SOC would never let Portsmouth in. They have tried in the past and the SOC never let them in. If they did let them in I think Portsmouth would probably dominate the league. That could be a reason why the SOC wont let them come into the league.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

According to the people I have talked to within the Portsmouth Athletic Department, Portsmouth High School is staying in the SEOAL regardless of what Ironton does.

It would make absolutely no sense to leave and thus create a scheduling nightmare once again if PHS left the SEOAL.

We don't walk in Tiger footprints.....and we are not joined at the hip with Ironton.

I do think Portsmouth would leave if the SOC comes calling.......but it is more likely to have a meteorite smash onto Roy Rogers Esplanade than for PHS to be admitted to the SOC.

From a competition standpoint, I would much rather be in the SEOAL anyway.

Army
S

Post by Army »

I think if the next set of teams rumored do actually leave, the SEOAL will still be a decent league with:

Logan D2
Chillicothe D3
Jackson D2
Portsmouth D4
Gallipolis D4

What say you Trojan Dave :?:

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

Warren leaving the SEOAL for the TVC would be a huge mistake. Lots of folks in Warrior Country would hate to see that happen.

Army, I liked the way you lined the League up in an earlier post - East and West - with the departure of Athens and soon to be departure of Ville.

Basketball, and volleyball, - play the teams in your division 2X, and the other division teams 1X. That would still leave schools plenty of schedule room for non-league games. Still keep the divisional playoff thing at the end of the season - rotating East to West gates.

Football - play em all - w/ three non-league games.

Baseball, softball, soccer - play the teams in your division 2X - fill the rest of the schedule non-league, and play the divisional playoff thing at the end of the season - again rotating East to West gates.

Track, Golf, XC, and Wrestling take care of themselves with League tourneys near seasons end.

What is difficult about this? The SEOAL is a great league with these 8 remaining schools. People smarter than I, can creatively schedule athletic contests to minimize trips from Washington County to Scioto/Lawrence Counties and visa-versa on school nights.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Great Post and so true :!: :-D

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Army: I don't think the SEOAL will ever dwindle to 5 teams. I think that 6 teams might be the smallest it will go with.........I hope nobody else leaves, but if that happens, the league will survive.

After Zanesville leaves, look for the SEOAL to play a round robin schedule(2 games vs. each school--home and away) in basketball and eliminate the Day of Champions......I have been told this by a good source......and I hope football follows suit. An 8 team SEOAL will provide 7 league games, and 3 non-conference games.

I would like to see the North/South Divisions eliminated also. One league, one division, one champion. Makes sense to me. Hopefully the league administration looks at things that way.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Trojan Dave,

Sounds good to me, but lets see how many of us are standing by 2010 or 2011 :!:

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

I will say it again,

Every time I talk to someone from Warren with any kind of clout or voting rights, they say talk Warren leaving the SEOAL is bogus, and that they are committed to the league for the foreseeable future.

"The options out there for Warren are limited as is, and if we were going to leave the league another league would have to present an environment that will challenge and let our athletes develop their skills while also limit a hemorrhaging athletic budget......... Right now, outside of the SEOAL a similar league in southern ohio doesn't exist."

Return to “Football”