Who might be the next to leave in the SEOAL?

Army
S

Who might be the next to leave in the SEOAL?

Post by Army »

:?: :?: :?: :?:

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

My prediction is Marietta. Makes no sense to travel that far for games. Same goes for Warren. Man, that league takes the cake for travel in Ohio.

The SEOAL has had a good run. 100 years I guess. Surely going independent would be great for the kids. Play different schools.

Army
S

Post by Army »

carbon_dated wrote:My prediction is Marietta. Makes no sense to travel that far for games. Same goes for Warren. Man, that league takes the cake for travel in Ohio.

The SEOAL has had a good run. 100 years I guess. Surely going independent would be great for the kids. Play different schools.

carbon_dated,

Word is, that Zanesville and Marietta from the SEOAL-North and OVAC Teams....Steubenville, Brook, John Marshall and Wheeling park, WV have been talking to form a new Football and Basketball League. :-D :-D

I cannot understand why the TVC-Ohio doesn't want Warren Local D3 back in the Conference. They would compete and enhance The Basketball and Baseball program for the TVC-Ohio. Plus it would give the Conference 3 Soccer Teams, Alexander, Athens and Warren. Has Warren even pressed the issue :?:

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

That'd be a nice league with Brooke, JM, Park, and Marietta, but I doubt that Steubenville would be warmly welcomed in football by the schools other than Park.

Steubenville is all about football, baseball comes second, and everything else just goes with the flow.

All of them have soccer which should be to Tigers' liking.

Marietta should be playing John Marshall and Wheeling Park.

Warren needs to find a new home league or just go independent.

Army
S

Post by Army »

carbon_dated wrote:That'd be a nice league with Brooke, JM, Park, and Marietta, but I doubt that Steubenville would be warmly welcomed in football by the schools other than Park.

Steubenville is all about football, baseball comes second, and everything else just goes with the flow.

All of them have soccer which should be to Tigers' liking.

Marietta should be playing John Marshall and Wheeling Park.

Warren needs to find a new home league or just go independent.

I agree about Warren too :!:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

carbon_dated wrote:My prediction is Marietta. Makes no sense to travel that far for games. Same goes for Warren. Man, that league takes the cake for travel in Ohio.

Obviously you've never been an athletic directory. Do you want to volunteer to schedule all the games around everyone ELSE'S league schedules?

Schools join leagues to ensure that a certain portion of the schedule is set every year. Few schools in Ohio are independent by choice.

If you think travel in the SEOAL is bad, imagine trying to schedule a week 8, 9, or 10 football game. About 80% of Ohio's football teams are playing league games.

About 15% of the remaining schools are in Cleveland or Cincinnati. Does a trip to one of those two cities sound more appealing than a trip to Gallipolis?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If that new league really did become a reality, that would be a killer football and basketball league. If Marietta left to join a new league like that, I would imagine Warren would not be far behind.

Concerning the Warren/TVC comments, I would love to see Warren back in the TVC. The TVC is vastly different than it was when Warren left in the 80s. At that time, there were 10 schools and no divisions, so the TVC was very overcrowded. With divisions, gone are Federal Hocking, Trimble, and Miller. When Warren left, Wellston and Meigs were still the new kids on the block in the TVC and Warren did not have a chance to develop rivalries with these teams. With the addition of Athens to the TVC Ohio, I would think that would make the league more attractive to Warren. When I researched NY football history, I was surprized to learn that NY vs. Warren was a pretty heated rivalry. In some years, the NY/Warren football game was played on a Saturday night. If Warren wanted back in the TVC, I'm sure NY would vote YES.

If I had to pick a school as the most likely to leave the SEOAL next, I think it would be Ironton. Even if they do not leave this year, there is so much turmoil in that community over Ironton being in the SEOAL that I think that will ultimately lead to Ironton leaving the league. Plus, if finances at Ironton don't improve, that would just be the nail in the coffin.

I'm really interested in the talk of that new league forming between Zanesville, Marietta, Brooke, etc. I wonder if anything will come of it?

Army
S

Post by Army »

There is always the West Virginia and Kentucky route for Week 8-9-10 :?: :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

Gahs4ever,

I like you too. Let us pray we do stay together....we will have to see.

You have been on here at times saying that these teams will stay....well, they are now leaving so you too are not perfect. And you are not an admistrator at Gallia Academy either, but I have read some of your post on here about your opinions and the school did not follow your lead. I can tell you this. Chillicothe will not stay in an SEOAL with just 4 teams in it, when there is the SCOL down the street that they may have a chance to go to. Could you blame the CAVS? Especially, if the SEOAL looks as if they are going to implode :?:

No one is negative. No....I am not negative concerning the SEOAL. I love this league and grew up playing sports in it, something you did not. So, I think I have just as much or more knowledge about our League as you do. You went to a school in Ross County that was in a Ross County League. When my alma mater, a charter member, was leaving the SEOAL, I was totally against it, but looking back, it was a smart move for Wellston. When talking about all those teams up north-way to replace Athens, they were only suggestions like everyone else on here who has stated there opinions on possible replacements for the Bulldogs. Remember the SEOAL could disappear, if there is not enough teams. As stated, the COL., SVAC, BCC, etc etc have gone by the watside. And there is a chance that the reality of Jim Reynolds vision and prediction from Jackson in 2004 could come true. Either the end of the SEOAL or just a 3-4 team league?

I would be bold to say....if Ironton, Marietta and Warren leaves, the league would be closer, but if Portsmouth also goes you all could say goodbye to Chillicothe too. Again...who would blame them. There were a lot of so-called experts on here saying Zanesville is solid, they will not waiver, they are not leaving. We have there word. Well....we see were they are at and headed for huh? Likewise, now there is the possibility of a few more teams departing. As they say in the Boy Scouts....Be Prepared, because Rome could be falling apart.

I hope we stay....we will have to see. :-D

Chillicothe is very happy, but they wouldn't be in a 4 team league.

ARMY :-D

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Just like old times me and GAHS in perfect agreement.

As for ARMY, i am reminded of "Chicken Little"

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Is Army out to take the SEOAL down?

Sure does sound like it

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

I say again every SEOAL team out there should have a back up plan and if you dont you are not doing your job, dont wait until all options are gone. Even the so called founding members of the league should put feelers out to see if anyone would have them or be interested in a new league. I think the SEOAL will continue to exist but you have to be pretty arrogant to count on it. And if the league loses anymore so called big boys I think Chilli. will leave, they will not stay if the competition weaknens.IMO

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Army wrote:There is always the West Virginia and Kentucky route for Week 8-9-10 :?: :-D

Army -

Teams in West Virginia and Kentucky are also in leagues. They don't have a ton of open weeks either.

Army
S

Post by Army »

oldschoolblue wrote:I say again every SEOAL team out there should have a back up plan and if you dont you are not doing your job, dont wait until all options are gone. Even the so called founding members of the league should put feelers out to see if anyone would have them or be interested in a new league. I think the SEOAL will continue to exist but you have to be pretty arrogant to count on it. And if the league loses anymore so called big boys I think Chilli. will leave, they will not stay if the competition weaknens.IMO

oldschoolblue.

Great point......but you won't get through to the blinded by the SEOAL Light........has always been here. :roll:

See they seem to forget there was only 4 teams left at the end of the 1984-1985 season until they acquired Marietta. And isn't it funny Jackson tried to get in to two different leagues from 1985-1988 but were turned down....by the SOC II and the SCOL. That's after Warren Local came in too. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope we do stay together, but if the big teams all leave...you have a good point. Time will tell over the next couple of SEOAL meetings and in the next few years.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

...football series might be ending soon as well, at least for one year, unless something drastic changes. In 2009, the date Gallipolis wants to play Point is a game that we already have contracted, a conference game with Sissonville, because the calander for the two states changes again that year.

West Virginia has a bye week, Ohio does not, and that is where the problem usually exists each year. We usually start a week later as well.

Our conference schedule bounces around week to week - it's not like when we played in the SEOAL and it was bam, bam, bam all the Ohio teams right in a row and we would end the season with one or two West Virginia teams. I think most conferences in West Virginia are like that, none have a set schedule like it is in Ohio. I like it much better the way it is done in Ohio, I hate playing a game early in the season, then not seeing a conference team for 2-3 games, then going back in for two games, going back out for one, etc.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

Take your pick....Zanesville, Ironton, Marietta, Warren, or Chillicothe....

Are they all "Rumors" :?: :?: :?: :?:

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Heck i don't want to be left out. Add Logan. I think they will leave soon.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

2old wrote:Heck i don't want to be left out. Add Logan. I think they will leave soon.

No, Logan will stay....They enjoy the North League Championship to well....

Anyway, where would they go????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

ghostwriter

You are a very cruel man tempting me that way!

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

Old Tom Morris wrote:ghostwriter

You are a very cruel man tempting me that way!

Thanks, Old Tom! :) You think you could tell them where they could go???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Football”