Should the SEOAL unite or keep divisions for 2009?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Should the SEOAL unite or keep divisions for 2009?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

What do you think is the best move for the SEOAL in 2009? A few options exist:

1. Drop the divisions and unite the league. 8 teams would mean 7 league games in football and 14 games in basketball and several other sports.

2. Keep the divisions, but realign the divisions. Not enough teams exist for divisional play in football, so football would most likely have to be a 7 game schedule where everyone plays everyone else. However, the other sports could play divisional games - 2 games against your division (6 games) and one game against every team in the other division (4 games) would equate to a 10 game league schedule.

3. If you keep the divisions, how do you realign them? Three most likely options exist:

a. Move Jackson to the North with Logan, Marietta, and Warren.
b. Move Chillicothe to the North with Logan, Marietta, and Warren.
c. Move Gallia Academy to the North with Logan, Marietta, and Warren and change the names of the divisions from North and South to East and West.

Of course, it is also possible one or more teams could leave the SEOAL in 2009 or shortly thereafter. In that case, divisions will not be feasible and the league will have to have all teams play all other teams the same number of games regardless.

Which do you think is best for the SEOAL schools......Eliminating divisional play or realigning the divisions?

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96,

I say play an out-right league schedule. But with that said.....don't be surprised that there will be at least 2 teams that might announce before the end of this school year is over in the 2007-2008 season that they are planning to follow Athens and Zanesville, in leaving the SEOAL. Due to gas, travel cost and most important revenues from the games. :-D

Those two being: :-D

a. Ironton-back to independent, or petition the SOC II.

b. Marietta- if they go in with fellow SEOAL-North Division Team, the Zanesville Blue Devils and the following OVAC Teams,.... John Marshall, Brook, Steubenville and Wheeling Park, WV...... to form a new Football and Baketball League up on the North-East side of the Ohio-River.

That is a very possible event that could happen. The talks are already going on. :-D

In 2009.....don't be shocked that the next two teams announce that they are following the lead of Athens, Zanesville, Ironton, Marietta in leaving the SEOAL before the 2009 school year is up.

The next two being: :-D

c. Portsmouth-going back to being an independent or trying to convince the SOC II to let them in.

d. Chillicothe- folowing Portsmouth's lead and going...independent or seeking membership in the MSL-Buckeye or SCOL.

Both leagues are close to Chillicothe, almost in there back yard, the leagues have way less travel time to the other schools from Chillicothe. The big difference is both leagues are stable, unlike the SEOAL right now.

Chillicothe has never had to be in any unstable situation like they are in now, concerning the uncertainity of the SEOAL. Even in the old C.O.L. the teams that stayed were committed. Zanesville being one of them. So we will have to wait and see. I don't really know much about Warren Local and what they will do in the future, but I would imagine if Marietta departs so will they :?:

If many knew that this uncertainty would start, I would of wished our CAVS would have joined the SCOL, when they left the OCC after the spring sports 2005-2006 season. They had an opportunity.

What might end up happening is the 5 teams in the SEOAL South right now, just break away and form a league too. :-D

If Jackson and Gallipolis don't.....then they may try to convince a few others from the SOC II and maybe OVC and still go. It's going to be interesting. That's for sure. I don't see this SEOAL making it this round. Many in Chillicothe are already talking about maybe we need to start to look ourselves.

Many forget that the SEOAL was saved by Marietta and then Warren in the 80's from imploding and closing down. The problem is at the present, there is nobody left in SE-Ohio to come to the rescue if all these teams depart the SEOAL this round. :-D

And...there is nobody willing to jump into the SEOAL. I could see all 5 teams presently in the SEOAL-South and Logan hanging on, but there are a few that will start to talk about gas prices and revenues if Warren and Marietta are included into that factor, thus losing most likely.....Ironton, Portsmouth and Chillicothe.

Then you'll have the old three again with Marietta and a Warren Local, where they started with, including Athens, prior to the Bulldogs announing there leaving, when adding the new schools. Travel and Revenue is going to be a bigger issue next year and the years to follow.

Stay tuned :!: :-D

I don't see Chillicothe staying if both Ironton and Portsmouth leaves the SEOAL. :-D

Good Luck SEOAL :!:

All good things must come to an end and it could be the SEOAL in a few more years. :-D

ARMY :-D

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Strike up the band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with GAHS.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

In my humble opinion:

As long as there are 8 teams or less in the league then the idea of split divisions is idoitic. Unite the thing, schedule 7 league games in football, and everyone make their remaining 3 games non-league. That is the ONLY REASONABLE thing to do.

I say this from my own point of view, whether Ironton (or anyone else for that matter) stays or goes. I have always thought that claiming a league championship without playing everyone in the league is silly unless you have a league championship game like many college conferences. Even then I question whether you really have a legitimate league champion.

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Youve been waiting for the SEOAL to come to an end for 83 years. Dont hold your breath.

When you make bogus speculations you arrive at a bogus conclusion. Dont look for Portsmouth to go anywhere.

Rumors about Marietta and Warren have been going around forever. You have to have somewhere to go before you can leave.

Likewise, I dont see Chillicothe giving up their gravy train anytime soon. Decades of losing in the COL and OCC have given way to a new opportunity for CHS and they arent stupid enough to throw it away.

This league isnt going anywhere. It will take more than Athens and Zanesville to do it in. TTOTTB

Just like the C.O.L. 1923-1984 wasn't suppose to fold either right :?: :-D

The SCOL the first time 1917-1991 Re-started what 2004-

SVAC was suppose to last to...Right :?:

Nothing on God's planet is ever permanent, except change. :-D

Years losing in the COL or OCC in what sports..... :?:

Our CAVS won 7 B-Ball Titles in the C.O.L. 1941-1944 / 1948-1976
Several Baseball and others sports like CC, Tennis, Golf, Softball, Volleyball.

In the 5 divisions we played in the OCC 1976-2006 We won 1 B-Ball Title 3 Football Titles was 2nd several times in Football, won several other Conference Championships in golf, tennis, CC, Volleyball, etc etc

I guess you meant just like Gallia Academy is starting to do in the SEOAL right :?: :-D

I am gonna laugh if Marietta annouces right after Ironton does that they are leaving. Ironton back to being an independent and Marietta with Zanesville to form the new league on the east side of the Ohio River with the OVAC Teams John Marshall, Brook, Wheeling Park, WV and Steubenville. I think there is more to Zanesville leaving than meets the eye. Lets just see. If that league takes place and Marietta says goodbye to the SEOAL I am going to be smiling. :-D

Then after that, you see Portsmouth wanting to vacate. And in the same note so does Warren.....you can bet Chillicothe will have a plan if they see two more exit. :-D

Then your team and the other two charter member amigos can play against each other twice in football and then play four non-league games. Cause there is nobody else wanting in the SEOAL.

I hope not, but I could see the train moving faster than you seem to view now that two are leaving and one more has announced it's direction. As for the gravy train, yes Chillicothe loves this league and I pray it does not fold inwards....lets come back to this in 4-5 years and see. That is if it's not folded before then.

I think we should drop the divisions and play an out-right league schedule. :-D

Last edited by Army on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Old Tom Morris wrote:In my humble opinion:

As long as there are 8 teams or less in the league then the idea of split divisions is idoitic. Unite the thing, schedule 7 league games in football, and everyone make their remaining 3 games non-league. That is the ONLY REASONABLE thing to do.

I say this from my own point of view, whether Ironton (or anyone else for that matter) stays or goes. I have always thought that claiming a league championship without playing everyone in the league is silly unless you have a league championship game like many college conferences. Even then I question whether you really have a legitimate league champion.

Great point :!: :-D

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i think i love you gahs!

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

If they can trade Wayne Gretzky they can fold the SEOAL.

Marietta used to be in the OVAC a long, long time ago, but I'm sure they'd like to come back and be in it.

With Ironton's reputation, I feel if they left they might as well close the books.

Gallipolis should still be able to fill a schedule with its location by going to either side of the Ohio River.

Army
S

Post by Army »

carbon_dated wrote:If they can trade Wayne Gretzky they can fold the SEOAL.

Marietta used to be in the OVAC a long, long time ago, but I'm sure they'd like to come back and be in it.

With Ironton's reputation, I feel if they left they might as well close the books.

Gallipolis should still be able to fill a schedule with its location by going to either side of the Ohio River.

It's not much use telling that to those that don't see the title wave could be coming in faster than you think. :-D

They also were the very same ones on here when Ironton opened up the headlines to leave, they were the very same ones saying Zanesville was solid in staying in the SEOAL. :-D

Hmmmmmmm......I remember last summer a PM I got said, Ardnolt was going to get Zanesville out of the league now that he was the AD. The reasons were, there was no competition for his B-Ball Team except Chillicothe and the travel was to far. :-D

Marietta was in the C.O.L. Central Ohio League from the early 1930's until it closed in 1985.

If Marietta, Warren and Ironton leave....look for Portsmouth and Chillicothe to seriously debate whether to stay or not. Chillicothe has already started to talk and prepare.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Army -

You have too much time on your hands. Fans sit around all day and dream up leagues. That's fantasy land.

The reality is that ADs join league's for one reason: EASE OF SCHEDULING.

It's the reason that Portsmouth and Chillicothe neither one will go back to being and independent.

As for Marietta, who knows what will happen. If a suitable league becomes a reality along the 70/77 corridor, they would HAVE to consider it. However, why would you jump from the SEOAL to a potentially even MORE unstable environment of teams used to being independent and playing 6 or 7 home games (Zville, Steubenville)?

REALITY CHECK TIME

Jackson, Logan, Gallipolis, Portsmouth, and Chillicothe aren't going anywhere, and I don't think Marietta and Warren are either.

Believe it or not, the sky is NOT falling and I don't think anyone is REALLY surprised that the league has lost teams.

10 was too many, but everyone involved in the expansion knew that over time schools would drop out again. Losing two members is much more reasonable when you have 10 teams compared to 6.

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Army,

If Chillicothe could see the "title (tidal) wave" coming, then why pray tell did they put themselves in harms way? The OCC didnt kick them out. Why jump on a "sinking ship" to hear you tell it?

Maybe if all the naysayers DO leave, we can get back to a nice peacable SEOAL without all the bellyaching and complaining.

gahs4ever,

You are absolutely right the three of you. Now that will be a serious SEOAL. Locos, I remember not to long ago, you saying Zanesville is not going anywhere. :roll:

You all are so funny on here acting as if you know what these schools are going to do. Just like my opinions. We did suspect one day possibly Zanesville but not this fast. An administrator from Portsmouth talked to us yesterday....and it would surprise all you that suppose to know the SEOAL how they feel and there concerns about the SEOAL. Especially with Zanesville departing and possibly Ironton and a few others. I do hope we stay. But as many here at Chilli we are realist not dreamers. Like I said gahs4ever, I played in this SEOAL and grew up in it. You didn't, I love our league and hope we all stay. Especially with Chillicothe winning in several sporting events. :-D

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

gahs4ever wrote
If we go down to8 teans, we can schedule the other 7 for football without a problem, but the home and away issues every year in other sports might be worse than had Zanesville stayed unless that is taken into account.

now as far as "other sports this makes things somewhat simpler too. Lets look at basketball as far as Ironton is concerned. (I do not know the actual length of the basketball season) with the split you can do the following in 8 weeks by paying close attention and being creative in scheduling. Long distance games will be played on either Friday or Saturday so travel gets people home at a reasonable hour. Ironton's "weekend" games would be Chillicothe, Logan, Warren and Marrietta. in an eight week time frame you could play all of them home and home. The weekday games would be Jackson, Gallia and Portsmouth which would be accomplished within a 6 week home and home time frame.

With proper attention paid by someone at the league level that whole situation could be worked out and the school AD's would have openings to schedule non league contests throughout the remainder of the season.

Football gets a little tougher balancing the number of league home games on an annual basis. For the most part everyone would be faced with 4 league games at home and 3 away league games one year then the opposite situation the following year This might take a little work but it might be able to be done to satisfy everyone across the board.

The MAJOR thing in the above proposals is that there would be a need for someone at the "league office level" to be involved in league scheduling. I have absolutely no idea who that might be!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Army wrote:Locos, I remember not to long ago, you saying Zanesville is not going anywhere. :roll:

Where did I say this? I've long suspected Zanesville was likely to leave. They constantly been in the worst position in regards to travel and they sit in an area where there are a TON of potential opponents to make scheduling pretty easy for an independent.

I've known all along that Ironton, Zanesville, Marietta, and Warren were potential to leave. The only team that has surprised me is Athens.

Army
S

Post by Army »

LoganLocos wrote:
Army wrote:Locos, I remember not to long ago, you saying Zanesville is not going anywhere. :roll:

Where did I say this? I've long suspected Zanesville was likely to leave. They constantly been in the worst position in regards to travel and they sit in an area where there are a TON of potential opponents to make scheduling pretty easy for an independent.

I've known all along that Ironton, Zanesville, Marietta, and Warren were potential to leave. The only team that has surprised me is Athens.

As stated.....we will have to see how the next few SEOAL meetings go and in a few years lets see what the make-up of the SEOAL looks like. :-D

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

I meen no disrespect to anyone but I do beleive that this league will change very much within the next few years. I think ironton is a true possibility and if they go it could have a ripple affect. I think Ironton would try to persuade Portsmouth to join with them in a new league. Do not beleive just because Gallipolis and Jackson and Logan have always been there that they will always continue,that is arrogance. If I were Jackson I would continually say we told you so. No single person outside of the so called trusted ADs I have talked to have ever beleived that the new league additions we added a few years ago was a good idea. PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE. If it can happen it will happen. Some posters look at the idea of whose next to leave as doom and gloom, I look at them as real possibilities. IMO

Army
S

Post by Army »

oldschoolblue wrote:I meen no disrespect to anyone but I do beleive that this league will change very much within the next few years. I think ironton is a true possibility and if they go it could have a ripple affect. I think Ironton would try to persuade Portsmouth to join with them in a new league. Do not beleive just because Gallipolis and Jackson and Logan have always been there that they will always continue,that is arrogance. If I were Jackson I would continually say we told you so. No single person outside of the so called trusted ADs I have talked to have ever beleived that the new league additions we added a few years ago was a good idea. PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE. If it can happen it will happen. Some posters look at the idea of whose next to leave as doom and gloom, I look at them as real possibilities. IMO

oldschoolblue......Great Post :!:

If I was those schools not only prepare, but really look at starting a true SE-Ohio League. It has been proposed on here before, All 5 SEOAL-South Division Schools and convince 1, 2 or 3 Schools from the SOC II to come in. :-D

Chillicothe D3
Waverly D4
Portsmouth West D5
Portsmouth D4
Wheelersburg D5
Ironton D4
Gallipolis D4
Jackson D2

I know Logan D2 would be left out, but sometimes you have to cut ties, just like The Plains Athens had to. :-D

That league would be almost a Triangle effect. It would provide a top rated Football-Soccer-Basketball-Baseball and Track-Field League for the Boys Competition. The Girls Competition in Volleyball-Basketball-Softball-Track and Field would be top rated. Travel and close in rivals.

Take a serious look at the travel to these schools from every school. Old Tom already did for Ironton. :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Im curious as to why ARMY seems to be the only Chillicothe poster on here thinking the league is going down or that Chillicothe is going anywhere.

gahs4ever,

No....I hope the SEOAL actually survives and we are in it.....but right now it doesn't look good. :shock:

And if more than two to three more leave, I don't think no matter what you and locos say on here about how long and continuious this SEOAL has been, will stop Portsmouth and Chillicothe from leaving either. :-D

Just my opinion....not saying that will happen :!: :-D

ARMY :!: :-D

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Army, that would be a great league, you could have a different champ each year, Chilli. I think would always be tough to beat but that is a good realistic league. No great big travel and all well established programs. ILOVE IT. That league makes perfect sense all the way around. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

GAHS, your right those teams would probably never leave the SOC I still like it, you are right the SEOAL will probably still exist but I would say within a few years you will see a few more teams leave. Zanesville definatley added class to our league but you know as well as I do adding them was a mistake, the mileage is the same as it was 2 years ago. They realise now that there fans can not be expected to travel that far and they will go where there is better competition even if they have to be an independent. IMO,IMO...

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

GAHS, I have no idea why this is such a touchy subject for you, you have your opinions like everyone else has theirs. My opinion I am sure is different than most, all that is happening is everyone is "saying what if?" If the league would dissapear Gallipolis and otheres would still play every sport, but I am sure that wont happen. All these schools that say we are here for the long hall are all pretenders. Schoolboards change ADs change and schools consolidate, those things will happen for sure and then sometimes people want to make a change. I have no ill will to any team that wants to get out that is there choice and I am sure they have good reasons.

Return to “Football”