How well will Athens play in the TVC

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

How well will Athens play in the TVC

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

How well will Athens play in the TVC? How well would the Bulldogs have played in the TVC had they already been in the league? Based on past performance against NY, Athens has had more success against NY than any other school except for Meigs.

If you go by the law of averages....

NY's record all-time is....
35-0-1 tie versus Alexander (+35)
32-8 versus Vinton County (+24)
26-9 versus Wellston (+17)
23-15 versus Belpre (+ 8 )
17-11 versus Athens (+6)
16-12 versus Meigs (+4)

So in any given year, by the law of averages, the TVC OHIO standings would be:

1. Nelsonville-York
2. Meigs
3. Athens
4. Belpre
5. Wellston
6. Vinton County
7. Alexander

So, even though Athens has been down, over time the Bulldogs still played better against NY than Belpre, Wellston, Vinton County and Alexander.

Based on this, over the next 10...20...30 years, Athens should win the third highest number of TVC Championships in that time span, behind NY and Meigs. That is assuming all things remain equal. Teams have up and down periods, but NY has played each of these schools between 28-40 times, so I think that is a long enough span for things to average out.

Army
S

Post by Army »

If they can get a decent coaching staff that stays for the long haul and is committed to building a tradition, and gets the kids motivated about sports again at (The Plains Athens), watch out TVC-Ohio, it could backfire in a couple of years down the road! Not just in Football but in several sports. :-D

Then I can already start to hear the grumbling from the likes of many in the TVC-Ohio. "They are to big, why did we let them in, they are running everything in the TVC-Ohio. Our kids don't have a chance to win. This is so depressing :!:"

"We are a D5 School. Speaking of Belpre, we demand to be put into the TVC-(Hocking-Division) or we are leaving the TVC :!: "

I could see Wellston D4, McArthur Vinton County D3 and Pomeroy-Meigs D4 all exiting if (The Plains Athens D3) did start to run over everybody in several sports JUST like Ironton did in the SEOAL in the 70's and early 80's. Most likely forming there own league along with Alexander D4 and Belpre D5, and maybe a River Valley D4 :?:

Then what a TVC-Ohio with The Plains Athens D3, Nelsonville-York D5 :?: :shock:

I am sure there would be several TVC-Hocking Division Teams that would refuse to play (The Plains Athens D3) Bulldogs, like Racine Southern Meigs D6, Reedsville Eastern Meigs D6, Waterford D6 and Corning Miller D6 on a continued basis :!:

Do you see those little D6 schools in the TVC-Hocking wanting to play Athens :?:

I could see maybe Stewart Federal Hocking D5 trying to do it. And maybe Glouster Trimble D6 for a few years.

And anybody that doubts it could happen, hold on there. The Nelsonville Greyhounds were the big joke in the SEOAL concerning Football. Now look at them in Football in the TVC Ohio as the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes.

We'll have to wait and see. Watch out for what you wish for TVC-Ohio :!:

It could come back to bite you all in the you know what :!: :-D

ARMY :-D

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

As far as history goes, Nelsonville-York has played Athens in most sports anyways. Meigs has a recent history of playing Athens in football, as does Alexander. I'm not sure how often Wellston and Vinton County have played Athens in any sport in the past couple decades. I think Belpre is really the only school that has no history of playing Athens in anything.

Even in basketball, in many seasons, NY has played Athens twice - home and away - as if it were a league game. So from NY's standpoint, Athens move to the TVC is simply changing what had been non-league contests into league contests.

Plus if you consider that NY, Meigs, and Wellston used to be in the SEOAL with Athens, I think all of those schools are aware of past success at Athens. From Alexander's standpoint, they have recently played Athens in football and have a huge soccer rivalry with Athens. I think the Spartans will be glad to have Athens on their basketball schedule year in and year out as well. Vinton County and Athens are close to the same size, so I'm sure that would help fuel a rivalry. Belpre is really the only new school with no history with Athens.

Even when Athens does turn around its football team, I don't think other TVC schools will then want out of the TVC. Do you ever hear anyone wanting out because NY dominates in football? NY is 32-8 all-time versus Vinton County and only one of those losses was by more than one touchdown. I have never heard VC say they wanted out of the league. I don't see how VC could do worse than that against Athens overtime, no matter how good Athens may be. Alexander has NEVER beat NY, so the Spartans can't do worse against Athens than that, especially since the Spartans already have beat Athens in football before. And while Meigs has fared better against NY over time than anyone else (NY is 16-12 all-time), Meigs won the first 9 games ('67-'69, and '83-'88 ). So if you only look at games played since 1989, NY is 16-3 versus Meigs. I don't see Meigs ever fairing worse than that versus Athens.

So, even when Athens turns things around, I don't think its all gloom and doom for TVC teams and I don't think teams will want out of the league for that reason.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I don't think Athens will show anything until 2010

Army
S

Post by Army »

noreply66 wrote:I don't think Athens will show anything until 2010

I don't either, but could be in a few years after that, if they get the kids to come out, with the right coaching staff in place, this could be an Athens Bulldog Team we haven't seen in years. :-D
Last edited by Army on Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bballfan1
Waterboy

Post by bballfan1 »

I think Athens will struggle a great deal. I think that the Bulldogs believe that by joining the TVC that all of the sudden they will be competitive. I do not believe they are giving the TVC schools enough respect. The only thing for certain is that Athens will be successful in soccer when joining the TVC :oops:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Athens has some good teams that are the 7th,8th and 9th and some of these could start to shine around 2010

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Based on Athens schedule in 2008, I think the Bulldogs will see several more wins than 2007. I think a 5-5 season is very realistic for the Bulldogs next season based on their schedule.

Athens will most likely lose to these three teams: Gallia Academy, Meigs, and Nelsonville-York

Athens will most likely defeat these three teams: Federal Hocking, Alexander, and Wellston

These four games could go either way, so I say the Bulldogs will go 2-2 against: Bloom-Carroll, Wahama, Vinton County, and Belpre. I would give a slight edge to Athens in the games against Vinton County and Bloom-Carroll, and a slight edge to Belpre and Wahama in those two games.

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

At Belpre we are glad to see more teams D3 D4 D5 who cares? I bet most D4 D5 teams dress more players than Athens.
Does that mean anything NOPE. Why?
Belpre had 22 kids. 22 kids that wanted to win, wanted to play, wanted to show everyone they had the heart, and 22 kids that love the game!
Heck Bishop Ready had 70 + kids dressed.
Having a D3 team means more points if they win.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

For the past several years Athens has competed against schools from the TVC in youth leagues (grades 4-6) for Football, Basketball, Volleyball, and Baseball. Although competitive they have not been dominate at the youth level. The only sport that they have really excelled at during the past several years has been Baseball. Athens is blessed with an exceptional youth league baseball program (Sand Lot Baseball) that runs through the 8th grade.

I think that anyone who says that Athens is going to walk into the TVC and dominate the league has no idea about athletics at Athens High School. Athens will excel at some sports such as Baseball, Wrestling, and believe it or not Girls Volleyball (unless Alex takes more of its players) The 8th grade girls Volleyball team was undefeated during the past two years. (Yes they played Alexander) As for the other sports Athens has to hope that some moderate success in sports such as football, basketball, and track will entice more students to get involved in athletics. If this happens then and only then will Athens have an opportunity to excel in the TVC.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

That freshman baseball group is very good. I watched them play in the First Capital JH league and they are for real. Finishing 2nd behind Portsmouth out of 32 teams.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

The Athens 8th grade boys basketball team is currently 7-0, with wins over the two best teams in the TVC, VC and NY. And the win over an undefeated VC team was a blowout. Last year they finished 16-1 with their only loss to Zanesville Roosevelt, whom they also beat during the year.
The 8th grade boys football team was 5-2 this year losing to a very good Nelsonville team, whom they tied in 7th grade on their way to a 6-0-1 season. VC and NY are the only two groups who have competed with this group and to their credit, VC and NY are very very good. Going to be great rivalries in high school.
Athens 8th grade boys have pounded every school in the SEOAL over the last two seasons, with the exception of the 1 loss to Roosevelt.
They also have done very well in baseball.
The Athens 9th and 10th graders are also very good. We will do well in the TVC down the road and we are grateful to be admitted to the league. I for one am very excited for my son. I played in the TVC in the day, and it is a great league with big crowd followings and lots of local interest in the surrounding community.
I do not think that Athens expects to dominate, but things will get better.

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

what a joke. athens thinks they can walk into the tvc and suddenly the kids will want to play. how does beating little teams like southern or terrible teams like alexander get you into the play offs?. there are no points for beating schools that small. most schools who are competitive in football in the tvc beat athens anyway. where are you gonna go the hocking division? maybe junior high? what was your non league schedule?river valley, meigs, and nelsonville? winning record? what changes? and then do you think that if you make the play offs who will you play? teams like river valley or logan?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Big Fish + Small Pond does not necessarily = Success

Even though TVC football has been down overall the last few years, Athens has not been successful against the TVC schools that they have played, with the exception of Alexander. I don't see Athens being successful in football for quite awhile.

And fastteach, you bring up a very valid point. If and when they do have a good season and squeak into the playoffs (let's face it, it will be hard for Athens to qualify at 8-2 or 9-1 with the strength of schedule that they will play), they will get throttled when they play a strong Division III program.

Let's not forget, Athens was 14 boys shy of being Division II this year. Playing a schedule full of D-V and D-VI schools, with one D III and a couple of D IV schools in the mix will not get you ready for the post-season, whether it is D III or D II.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

Wow guys. Not sure anybody is saying Athens is going to dominate. I have coached in both leagues and have children coming through the ranks. I personally am very excited for the change. I do not think Athens is coming into the league because they think it is the solution to turning things around, but more that it is a positive change for the future.
The TVC is a solid league that has stood the test of time, and adapted over time. Give us a chance to be a positive member of a great great league for kids to play in.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Coach Skinner - I've not taken it as anyone is claiming they will dominate. I was simply looking, from my point-of-view, as to what is ahead for Athens as they enter the TVC. It is not going to be easy, in any sport, for the Bulldogs.

I hope that this move does turn out to be a positive one for Athens, and the league. I agree with the others who have said, it is going to be awhile before Athens is successful. However, from a football standpoint, with the school's size, I'm not sure how much this move will help them.

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

Steely,

I guess that in terms of football, the TVC Ohio is as good as place to start as any. I am hopeful that the enthusiasm that the other TVC schools show for their sports will help to catch on at Athens. At this point, enthusiasm is a great start, and I know that many are enthusiastic for the change, or I could even go as far as to say many are quite hungry for the change. The people of the TVC are great sports' people who support their teams. I cannot wait for my son to know what it is like to play in front of big crowds whether they win at a high level or not. One year at Athens when I was the head basketball coach we got hot at the end of the year and got to the sectional finals against a very good Vinton County team at Logan. The game was a near sell out ( thanks mainly to the VC fans), and my players still talk to this day of that incredible atmosphere that they got to play in front of that night.
Being able to go to the games to see my sons and daughters compete against the sons and daughters of life long friends is something that I am really excited about.
Coach Champlin and myself were in favor of a move to the TVC way before anybody said anything about SEOAL expansion.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

I think that some posters are getting the cart ahead of the horse so to speak. Anytime you mention Athens Football and Playoffs in the same sentence you've been sipping too much Kool Aid. Athens has only made the playoffs once in the past 30 some years and only had a handful of winning seasons over that same time span. So if talking strictly football the move to the TVC can only be seen as a positive. Regardless of its size Athens does not have the number of ATHLETES needed to compete with teams in the SEOAL. The best teams that Athens has had in that time span were both lead by outstanding Quarterbacks (Lichtenberg and Gregory) both of who came to Athens via Ohio University.

I don’t buy the coaching aspect either Athens has had some exceptional and knowledgeable coaches during that time frame who had very little success. (Kevin Meade, Matt McPhail, and Cory Miller come to mind) all three were very good coaches who were not successful while at Athens)

“It’s not the Xs and Os it’s the Bobs and the Joes”

BUT…. I think that Athens can be competitive in the TVC. And who knows in 5-10 years you might have people bitching about Athens going 8-2, 9-1 and not making the playoffs. I for one would love to see that day come. In terms of the present and immediate future I think that Athens will be happy just being competitive in a league and having their kids believe that they at least have an opportunity to win anytime that they step on the field.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

CoachSkinner - You have a PM

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

my son played a jv game of football at athens 2 years ago, meigs, anyway, there was aprox 40 fans from athens in the stands. less than 2 a piece for the kids. why? athens has to get to root cause to the nobody cares. it is not the kids, it is the parents. playing and beating schools with maybe 200 kids is not the answer. my bet is athens has that per class. finishing 8-2 or 9-1 won't mean anything. it will cheapen the tvc championship and drag down yet more schools. this year athens could not have beat; meigs, ny, vc, or belpre, how does beating wellston and alex help? how does packing the stands with your opponents fans help?
find out why athens does not support athens. then you can move forwards.

Return to “Football”