Ironton Out Of SEOAL?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Ironton Out Of SEOAL?

Post by kantuckyII »

It is being commonly reported that the Ironton Board Of Education, by a 3 to 2 vote, elected to pull Ironton out of the SEOAL.

I wonder if it will really happen?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Wow, did anyone even know they were going to vote on that? If the school board did vote to leave the SEOAL, I'd say it would really happen because it is the school board who decides these things.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Thats some breaking news right there.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

If this is true, I wonder if folks will rip them to shreads on this site and others as much as they have Athens?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Have you read this site? Im sure 2old and Paladin are ready to jump all over this.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

You got to be kidding!!! :arrow:

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Man, does news travel fast now a days. Heard this in Portsmouth on saturday tha something was going on. Just a question, how much money did Ironton lose so far over the last 1 and half years being in the SEOAL?

The economy and fuel cost will change the landscape of athletics in a very large way.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I guess if this did happen it went unknow to the fans in Ironton. Because it sounds like no body knows what really happened.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Love it???

I don't know if i love it, but I will say no surprise. Ironton has a patern. Everyone speaks of the history of Ironton. This is part of it.

Army
S

Post by Army »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Man, does news travel fast now a days. Heard this in Portsmouth on saturday tha something was going on. Just a question, how much money did Ironton lose so far over the last 1 and half years being in the SEOAL?

The economy and fuel cost will change the landscape of athletics in a very large way.

mtswngrvsg,

As much as I agree with you about all local teams looking at the fuel cost as they continue to rise. This is a concern with all teams in leagues across the State of Ohio. But don't go there about Ironton, if it's true, that being, the main reason is, (gas prices and travel). :roll:

Because look at there travel and the teams they left the RIVER City of Ironton to play in Football after the fold of the OHKYAL. They became an independent in the early 90's all the way to 2005. If I am not wrong, they traveled all the way to Bellaire to play, to Columbus Watterson and St. Francis Desales several times too. So unless they plan to play a few SOC, OVC, Portsmouth from the SEOAL and maybe Jackson or Gallipois at times, maybe Meigs from the TVC (Ohio) from time-to-time and KY and WV teams all the time, and I mean all the time...not just next season, I won't buy the travel bit. :roll:

If they do leave at the end of the year, are they going to stay faithful to playing the schedule they have already set up in Football as non-league games for the SEOAL Teams that play them, and as an independent schedule for them? Or are we in the SEOAL going to start to scramble, and I mean like now to seek a replacement to fill Ironton's game?

If it does happen and it is true, I'm sorry, I just lost all respect for the Ironton Fighting Tigers. Why, because I and many think, they could be playing for the SEOAL title in Football next season. They have the team to do it. We all remember there was talk of disgrunted Ironton fans when they re-joined in 2005, and begin play in 2006. Then there was the dismay about Lutz leaving and Tripplett being hired. Also to include in that formula was there concern about the former AD. If it was that bad, this I assume is the same school board that voted to join the SEOAL. Right? They don't leave office until Jan 2008, right? So what is the change. Or, is it Lutz? Who I might add, enjoys playing KENTUCKY Teams like, Russell, Boyd, Lawrence and Greenup, KY county H.S.'s, plus Ashland Paul Blazer, KY and Belfry, KY? What, so the Tigers can rack up 5 wins? Then play Wheerlersburg, and keep Portsmouth from the SEOAL on there schedule due to the river rivalary. That's 7-0 most likely NEXT SEASON, then 8-0 after your game with Nelsonville-York in 2008 most likely. Then what, pick up two or three West Virginia Teams to play, like (Winfield, WV), (Huntington, WV) or (Point Pleasent, WV)? :roll:

And then say goodbye AGAIN? :roll:

Thus, having the Chillicothe CAVS, Jackson Ironmen, Gallipolis Blue Devils, Logan Chieftians, Warren Local Warriors and Zanesville Blue Devils scramble to find someone else to replace you all or most likely re-set the SEOAL schedule where all 8 teams play against each other, but could cause problems due to schedules already set by the other teams? I don't think you all were scheduled to play the Marietta Tigers in 2008 were you? If that does really happen, I just lost all respect for your smack talk on here about Athens leaving, and Logan being D2 wanna be's, etc etc. Sorry! Sure the travel is tough Ironton, but your teams can compete. And you know that! You know Lutz won't be there forever. I can't see the SOC II or OVC saying come on in. Unless they have had a serious change of heart. If they did offer the slot to you all, then all the smack that will most likely take place will cease due to the understanding of being in a conference close to home. But if that was truly the situation, you all would already be in one of those conferences instead of the SEOAL, if it was so. Right? Look at the (Portsmouth Trojans), how many times have they been turned down by the SOC?

Man, I hope it isn't so Fighting Tigers, but Kantucky said it was. :cry:

I know one thing, if the (Ironton Fighting Tigers) leave the SEOAL, this will be there third time in doing so. If it does take place, I would never entertain the thought of offering any more invitations, from the league to Ironton, in re-joining the SEOAL at any later dates if they requested it. That's for sure!

That is, if they do actually leave after this season, only playing in the SEOAL for 2 years. :roll:

If anybody has a true complaint about travel and leaving, it's the (Zanesville Blue Devils). Many are still puzzled why they joined the SEOAL. Look at there travel. :shock:

We all figured it would be them after this season saying goodbye. Who knows, it may still happen? But I can tell you all from Ironton, if they did, they would not hear no smack talk on here, due to the understanding of the travel involved for them.

But even with the smack talk about those that did not like Ironton back in the SEOAL from the River City, I remember one statement being, that Lutz didn't like it. Then why in the heck did you all really come back is my question? Why didn't you all stay as an independent? Many figured you all would hang in there even among all the rumors and disgrunted folks who did not like the SEOAL, and make the league a stronger one.

Look at us at Chillicothe, our CAVS have been faithful in every league we have played in. But when we became a rug-mat for the rest of the league teams, or was offered a league to play in like the C.O.L. that was our size of schools at the time, we at least gave 2 years notice to leave. Just like Athens did when they alerted the folks about leaving for the TVC (Ohio). We have played in 4 leagues at Chillicothe. The SCOL for over 40 years. The C.O.L. for about 30 or 32 years. The OCC for about 30 years, and now the SEOAL for 2 years.

But that isn't the case for Ironton. In Football, your Ironton Fighting Tigers D4 have a 1-1 record against Chillicothe D3, Gallipolis D4, Portsmouth D4 and Zanesville D2. You are 2-0 against Athens D3, Marietta D2 and Jackson D2. You are 0-2 against Logan D2. And 0-0 against Warren Local D3. So I don't see the logic. :roll:

Your Teams compete well in THE SEOAL in Basketball, Baseball, Track and Field, Softball, Wrestling, Golf, Tennis, Volleyball and Cross Country. So why all the sudden change of heart to leave the SEOAL if it's true?

Well, we will have to wait and see I suppose. I hope it is not true Ironton, I really like Ironton and there Fighting Tigers in the SEOAL as do many other schools in the League. But I guess, you got to do what you got to do best concerning your school right?

You all know, if this is true and it becomes reality, you all from Ironton will see non-stop smack on the SEOPS, especially from Logan Posters on here. Right? :roll:

ARMY
Last edited by Army on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

If I-Town does leave this will give all of those bigger schools a chance to schedule some school their own size and IF THEY DO as a fan I hope they try and schedule so of the better teams and not teams that have a long history of losing.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Not surprised.

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

THIS IS NOT ABOUT FOOTBALL!!! The reasons for wanting to withdrawl from the SEOAL have absolutely nothing to do with football. Football happens to be the ONLY benefit with regards to scheduling and that is not worth it in all the other sports.

Do you want to travel from Ironton to Zanesville to watch a girls softball game as a Ironton fan? NO WAY!!! What if you are a parent and you are obligated to make that trip? What about when your daughter and son play high school basketball and she is in Marietta one night and your son plays in Logan the next night? Who wants to make these trips? I wouldn't want to as a parent, but I would. As a casual fan, I guarantee you I will not go. That is the problem. The travel and money is a big factor, but couple that with the decline in pride and support for all the other sports and the solution is an easy one: GET OUT!!!

Chillicothe, Gallipolis, Jackson, and Portsmouth will still be close enough to schedule in most sports. Instead of going to Warren, Logan, Zanesville, and Marietta now we can think about scheduling teams in other sports within 10-15 minutes of Ironton like Coal Grove, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Fariland, Wheelersburg, Minford, Symmes Valley, South Point, Green, Ashland, Boyd Co., Greenup Co., Raceland, Fairview, Russell, Rose Hill.

GOOD MOVE IRONTON BOE!!!

GO TIGERS!!!

GO TIGERS!!!
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I wished Ironton could stay in the SEOAL for football alone though. Is there any chance that could happen gotigers?

it is a great move to get out of this league. The travel is brutal and often dangerous as it's out winding roads and during winter.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Is this still a rumor or is it a fact?

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Actually, I don't think there are divisional crossover games in softball and baseball, unless you're in the championship game. Otherwise, those kind of games don't count in the league standings.

Still, economics are a concern for everyone. They have to be. It would be irresponsible not to consider it, and idiocy to deny that the problem exists.

Let's remember that when this league expansion came about, gas prices (for one) were nowhere near where they are today, and certainly nowhere near where they are projected to go in the short term (some experts claiming it will be close to $3.50 per gallon in the spring). There has to be a "tipping point" for every school in this league now, and certainly those of us on the periphery (which includes Ironton) have to think it about it the most.

I would guess it too late for Ironton to just bolt the SEOAL right now and still be able to fill a football schedule for next year with APPROPRIATE opponents. I would suspect that if the school board opts to leave, it would be a similar scenario to when Athens pulled out last year -- we're in it one more school year.

Army ... to answer the "puzzlement" questions, we had spent a long time trying to find a league "home." The old Buckeye Central Conference broke up after the '94-'95 school year when Nerk and Lancaster opted to join the OCC. That's when we joined the OVAC. But that's really more of an "affiliation" league -- there is no mandatory scheduling. League "championships" are determined among those schools who play a minimum number of games between member schools. The problem becomes that you could be frozen out if you couldn't get enough schools to play you. That's why you don't see many OVAC boys basketball banners in our gym, because we quite often couldn't get enough games within the OVAC to qualify. There was a referendum a few years ago to create mandatory scheduling, but it was defeated ... and we accepted an invitation to join the SEOAL expansion plan shortly thereafter.

Long story short, quite often folks forget that a league membership extends way beyond one sport. While we maintain our OVAC membership, it truly only helps certain programs (track, cross country, golf, swimming) to do so.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

gotigers wrote:THIS IS NOT ABOUT FOOTBALL!!! The reasons for wanting to withdrawl from the SEOAL have absolutely nothing to do with football. Football happens to be the ONLY benefit with regards to scheduling and that is not worth it in all the other sports.

Do you want to travel from Ironton to Zanesville to watch a girls softball game as a Ironton fan? NO WAY!!! What if you are a parent and you are obligated to make that trip? What about when your daughter and son play high school basketball and she is in Marietta one night and your son plays in Logan the next night? Who wants to make these trips? I wouldn't want to as a parent, but I would. As a casual fan, I guarantee you I will not go. That is the problem. The travel and money is a big factor, but couple that with the decline in pride and support for all the other sports and the solution is an easy one: GET OUT!!!

What do you mean a decline in pride and support?

Chillicothe, Gallipolis, Jackson, and Portsmouth will still be close enough to schedule in most sports. Instead of going to Warren, Logan, Zanesville, and Marietta now we can think about scheduling teams in other sports within 10-15 minutes of Ironton like Coal Grove, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Fariland, Wheelersburg, Minford, Symmes Valley, South Point, Green, Ashland, Boyd Co., Greenup Co., Raceland, Fairview, Russell, Rose Hill.

GOOD MOVE IRONTON BOE!!!

GO TIGERS!!!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Ironton Football Dot Com shows Ironton's schedule is now complete for next year ;-)

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Army

I am not making excuses for Ironton. You can afford to travel in football but can you do it in the other sports? I have no dog in this fight so it is nothing to me, it is what it is.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Army wrote: Right? They don't leave office until Jan 2008, right? So what is the change. Or, is it Lutz? Who I might add, enjoys playing KENTUCKY Teams like, Russell, Boyd and Greenup, KY county H.S.'s, plus Ashland Paul Blazer, KY and Belfry, KY? What, so the Tigers can rack up 5 wins? Then
Russell and Belfry would defeat most southern Ohio teams year in, year out.

When Ironton won it's first state championship in 79 they beat Ashland (ky) the first game, 6 to 0. The state game score was Ironton 7 - Akron St. Vincent St. Mary 6

In 1989 there were no less than 4 Kentucky schools on Ironton's schedule. Two games were close, Ironton over Russell 21 to 13 and Ironton over Ashland 20 to 15. Ironton defeated Campbell Memorial that year for the state trophy 12 to 7.

That doesn't take in Ironton's 6 runner up years where each year featured Kentucky schools. It's a myth that Kentucky schools can't or don't provide as much competition as many schools south of Columbus.

Return to “Football”