A SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE MAC LEAGUE

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

A SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE MAC LEAGUE

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WHY ARE THEY SO SUPERIOR IN THEIR FOOTBALL

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: A SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE MAC LEAGUE

the people involved in the MAC would have you believe it's just a better work ethic and just more desire. what exactly separates this league from others. they are far superior and had several teams from the league in the state title games. and as good as wheelersburg was this year, they were way over their heads with this team. I believe coldwater would have won the state at least 2 division higher. and for the most part it seems the MAC does not have hardly any black athletes. which makes it even more puzzling.i have heard the conference is in farming country. but how close are they to major cities. are they getting a bunch of athletes from inner cities. and I ask this is a most humble manner. what seperates them from any other conference in this size range around. and whatever they are doing, we need to do more of down here. I mean think about it.the seniors on this team won a state title all 4 years they were in high school. these kids at this age have no idea how miraculous this is now. but will in the future. southeastern ohio is full of hard nosed river schools from relatively poor districts that are used to tough times. it would be a hard sell to tell me the teams in the MAC just want it more. I'm absolutely not knocking the league at all. rather I'm in awe of it. I'd be curious as to what makes them so superior. generally the catholic teams are near unbeatable. and they just destroyed I think it was Toledo central catholic. little more than a scrimmage really.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Coaching.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Economics, geography, coaching

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

Sheer numbers are a part of it.....teams with 30 kids playing (9th through 12 grades) are what we are used to seeing in the OVC. Even Ironton's #'s are quite less than they are historically used to seeing. In the championships Coldwater had 70+ suited up, Marion Local had 70+ suited up, Fort Recovery (division 7) was huge numbers wise...A buddy I was with there actually remarked how the numbers for Coldwater reminded him of the Ironton Program of the 80's with kids filling the sidelines from 20 to 20 yard line. the more kids on the team = more competition in practice which = a better, faster, stronger, and better mentally prepared team. (and again this is just part of it I'm sure)

I think Wheelersburg is right there, however, I think they need to try to schedule that caliber of team each season now to get used to playing that level of competition (JMO). Same with Jackson....

as for as comparing anything else I don't know... I do know its a much more balanced brand of football that I saw from the three schools...they are equally dangerous passing or running the ball, very athletic receivers where here in southern Ohio we are still very much run oriented.

these are just some general observations.

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

also.....success breeds success....they have a winning mentality in that league....I mean Fort Recovery has more state titles now than they do league championships......that speaks volumes for the MAC

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I hate to feel the need to say anything further. this will never get legs because too many people know me and know how many black folks/African americans are actually a big part of my life. but it's sad for somebody to deface something that has your name attached to it. whatever the purpose was. I'm a Christian man. and I'm nothing but respectful on here. the only reason this was ever mentioned was watching the mac teams play in the state finals I saw very few black athletes. which are let's face it usually the better athletes on most teams.which even made me more in awe of the mac. I suppose it's just geographical by nature. but I certainly never any malice in what I thought was a praise to the mac on their consistency.but I will close by saying if I offended anyone. I am truly am sorry that was not my intention even a little bit. thank you and god bless you. Tom Osborne.YTB.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:Sheer numbers are a part of it.....teams with 30 kids playing (9th through 12 grades) are what we are used to seeing in the OVC. Even Ironton's #'s are quite less than they are historically used to seeing. In the championships Coldwater had 70+ suited up, Marion Local had 70+ suited up, Fort Recovery (division 7) was huge numbers wise...A buddy I was with there actually remarked how the numbers for Coldwater reminded him of the Ironton Program of the 80's with kids filling the sidelines from 20 to 20 yard line. the more kids on the team = more competition in practice which = a better, faster, stronger, and better mentally prepared team. (and again this is just part of it I'm sure)

I think Wheelersburg is right there, however, I think they need to try to schedule that caliber of team each season now to get used to playing that level of competition (JMO). Same with Jackson....

as for as comparing anything else I don't know... I do know its a much more balanced brand of football that I saw from the three schools...they are equally dangerous passing or running the ball, very athletic receivers where here in southern Ohio we are still very much run oriented.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.with the same size enrollment there were just so many players on these teams. all of them. they must really be sold on sports in their league. and they are so fundamentally sound.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:also.....success breeds success....they have a winning mentality in that league....I mean Fort Recovery has more state titles now than they do league championships......that speaks volumes for the MAC
I remember hearing that. and it blew my mind. just think this coldwater team. these seniors won 4 state titles which is insane.and they do every aspect of the game with such precision.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:Sheer numbers are a part of it.....teams with 30 kids playing (9th through 12 grades) are what we are used to seeing in the OVC. Even Ironton's #'s are quite less than they are historically used to seeing. In the championships Coldwater had 70+ suited up, Marion Local had 70+ suited up, Fort Recovery (division 7) was huge numbers wise...A buddy I was with there actually remarked how the numbers for Coldwater reminded him of the Ironton Program of the 80's with kids filling the sidelines from 20 to 20 yard line. the more kids on the team = more competition in practice which = a better, faster, stronger, and better mentally prepared team. (and again this is just part of it I'm sure)

you bring up good points. even though the tigers have only won 2 state titles========by the way I'm very, very proud of . it seemed like for a while we were in the state game constantly. they have accomplished that, but are winning them all. the coaching has to be awesome. but ironton years ago. they had the winningest ohio high school football coach ever in bob lutz. and had crazy success with teams of any size. but coldwater and the other mac schools they get there they win it. and it's remarkable the desire and fortitude they show.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and they have tremendous depth. that was like football in these parts 30 years ago. but with more success.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

we need to bottle up some of what the mac is doing and plant it here.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

The success the MAC has had is remarkable and I don't know how they do it, but I think it has to be a combination of things as had been said above. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the schools seem to be centered around small towns. If you look at a map of school districts in the state you will see that the districts are generally small in area. This makes it easier to get to and from practice and allows for a strong feeling of belonging and small school pride.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

theyre onto something oak ain't they.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

If you quote someone, you cannot change add or subtract their original text.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

C O A C H I N G

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

You are correct Black...There are some other important ingredients. But you are correct. That is the big one. Does a Mac coach get on FB and talk about legacy and Glory? HAHAHA

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Economics probably plays a bigger role than you think.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

in what way flush, I don't understand. it may well but how does that help

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

All the above I would agree with especially the coaching comments, I would like to add that as far as I know these schools have administrations and athletic directors that probably let these great coaches coach. I assume Ironton during the Bob Lutz era experienced the same blessing, and I tend to think this may be why private schools seem to have so much success as well. I'm definitely no insider on the MAC and/or Ironton, but I'm somewhat familiar with both.

Return to “Football”