Did Ironton Close Down Their Weight Program

Nice Kitty
Waterboy

Re: Did Ironton Close Down Their Weight Program

Post by Nice Kitty »

Preach it osu 77! We need to get our kids back to fundamentals. I see too many little coaches trying to put in plays they seen on Madden. Having input from high school staff to our little league would greatly benefit the kids. Alot of coaches now, never played a down of varsity ball.

cg-ironton fan
Freshman Team

Post by cg-ironton fan »

Valenth wrote:I mean... of ALL THE YEARS that Ironton Football has been a household name in Southern Ohio... now making this drastic change? Something is NOT adding up... theres something deeper than just weights.
look at ironton offense scheme and compare it to rock hill!!!! rock hill will dominate in 2016

ironton is as predictable as coal grove use to be and until they break away from that scheme records will be .500 or below.

offense must have diversity = run / pass

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I agree

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

is there actually any confirmation that the weight room has been closed.

and you are right cg, we have become way, way too predictable and vanilla. load the box you can beat us. because creative we ain't. never were so much in the lutz days either. but he had his times he was. but the athletes were better conditioned and stronger then, and had punishing practices to prepare you. we ran the bleachers pushed the blocking sled with the coaches on it.and pounded the weights and ran a-lot.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:is there actually any confirmation that the weight room has been closed.

and you are right cg, we have become way, way too predictable and vanilla. load the box you can beat us. because creative we ain't. never were so much in the lutz days either. but he had his times he was. but the athletes were better conditioned and stronger then, and had punishing practices to prepare you. we ran the bleachers pushed the blocking sled with the coaches on it.and pounded the weights and ran a-lot.
Man some of those offenses in the Lutz era, you could have told the defense what play was coming every down, and it would not have mattered one bit they were gonna pound the ball down the opponents throat! Much respect to some of the Power T, and double TE clinics that Mr Lutz would display!

Wanna B. Aamod
Waterboy

Post by Wanna B. Aamod »

Game day wrote:I have heard the weight program was shut down because it was causing issues with the Basketball practice. If this is true what are the football players doing?
Troll alert

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Stan_Marsh wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:is there actually any confirma

when we scrimmaged tion that the weight room has been closed.

Man some of those offenses in the Lutz era, you could have told the defense what play was coming every down, and it would not have mattered one bit they were gonna pound the ball down the opponents throat! Much respect to some of the Power T, and double TE clinics that Mr Lutz would display!

when we scrimmaged grove and the burg back in the day . lutz would point where we were going to see if they stop it. it was crazy, kinda funny. but he did.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree, have a deep respect for the programs coaches and players. bob lutz/burcham are as legendary as they come.lutz has a record that may never be broken as Ohio's winningest high school football coach.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I have been told , that we are way off base about what actually has been going on at ironton as far as lifting. apparently it's quite the opposite, and they are very active in this regard of lifting.and that's great news.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
Stan_Marsh wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:is there actually any confirma

when we scrimmaged tion that the weight room has been closed.

when we scrimmaged grove and the burg back in the day . lutz would point where we were going to see if they stop it. it was crazy, kinda funny. but he did.
I certainly believe it! Being a fanatic of the run game I would have to say I envy very much what Lutz was able to do. Can't say I was apart of it, in fact was on the losing side of it quite a few times, but still have nothing but respect for it.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I have been told , that we are way off base about what actually has been going on at ironton as far as lifting. apparently it's quite the opposite, and they are very active in this regard of lifting.and that's great news.
That is true now but over a month ago it was shut down. Because of this being pointed out on here and is was being talked about around Ironton it was open back up. The AD was called on the carpet for what happened and 2 BOE members stepped up and pointed out the issue. That is why things changed.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

I think Ironton's great history might be hurting them come present day expectations.

Guys things change, just how it is. About every Ironton thread I scan through at some point the name "Lutz" appears, and off on a tangent everyone goes about those years. If I read through any other school's threads I don't see much talk about coaches from year's past. It is all present day focused.

Fellas it is 2016 and there is no Lutz, you can either embrace the change and be part of the solution or drag everyone's expectations back to something that is no longer realistic. There is no easy button to push and get the past's results.

Gonna take years and patience to return to those days. Be patient and good luck.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you have a great point don. I guess we're plumb spoiled rotten. but we were and still are lucky enough to have seen some awesome high school football. and we saw the great teams ironton played as well, and traveled all over the state to playoff games and state championships. it ain't hard to see why we love our high school football and 2 state championships. and bob lutz is the winningest ohio high school football coach in ohio. ==========so while that does little to impact the current team. the ironton community loves their tiger football, the band, the covered stadium. the tradition and the like , brand new schools, brand new turf. hard not to get excited about the future of fighting tiger football.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:you have a great point don. I guess we're plumb spoiled rotten. but we were and still are lucky enough to have seen some awesome high school football. and we saw the great teams ironton played as well, and traveled all over the state to playoff games and state championships. it ain't hard to see why we love our high school football and 2 state championships. and bob lutz is the winningest ohio high school football coach in ohio. ==========so while that does little to impact the current team. the ironton community loves their tiger football, the band, the covered stadium. the tradition and the like , brand new schools, brand new turf. hard not to get excited about the future of fighting tiger football.
They will be back YTB, and when it happens it will be special.

I know many of you played in that era, and that has to be special and almost magical, so good luck and be patient my striped Tiger friend.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I think so as well. I'm telling you though AK STEEL closing in Ashland may cause ironton to tumble down into the 6th division in a couple of years.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Dandy Don wrote:I think Ironton's great history might be hurting them come present day expectations.

Guys things change, just how it is. About every Ironton thread I scan through at some point the name "Lutz" appears, and off on a tangent everyone goes about those years. If I read through any other school's threads I don't see much talk about coaches from year's past. It is all present day focused.

Fellas it is 2016 and there is no Lutz, you can either embrace the change and be part of the solution or drag everyone's expectations back to something that is no longer realistic. There is no easy button to push and get the past's results.

Gonna take years and patience to return to those days. Be patient and good luck.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Dandy Don wrote:I think Ironton's great history might be hurting them come present day expectations.

Here's the thing though about that comment. You have Coach Lutz the winningest coach ever in Ohio who basically laid down a groundwork of what to do. All these coaches have played for him or coached under him. So all they had to do was listen and take notes. It's that simple. Now they don't have to run the program like he did. They can put your stamp on it, but the core of the program should be ran like he ran it. That's how you win.
Take Martha Stewart for an example. She makes a cake on tv and it's awesome. You take notes and follow the recipe and you make the cake. It's awesome. Then you think hey what if I throw in nuts with the batter. You still have the same cake, but with a spin on it to make it yours. You don't throw out the recipe and start from scratch just because you think you should. It's that simple follow the recipe.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

If it were that simple the Big Red Machine of the 70's would be the Big Red Machine of the 2000's.

It's not a cake.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

High school football is a lot more simpler than pro baseball.

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

Tigercannon71 wrote:

Here's the thing though about that comment. You have Coach Lutz the winningest coach ever in Ohio who basically laid down a groundwork of what to do. All these coaches have played for him or coached under him. So all they had to do was listen and take notes. It's that simple. Now they don't have to run the program like he did. They can put your stamp on it, but the core of the program should be ran like he ran it. That's how you win.
Take Martha Stewart for an example. She makes a cake on tv and it's awesome. You take notes and follow the recipe and you make the cake. It's awesome. Then you think hey what if I throw in nuts with the batter. You still have the same cake, but with a spin on it to make it yours. You don't throw out the recipe and start from scratch just because you think you should. It's that simple follow the recipe.
Did we seriously compare high school football to a tv show host baking a cake? Dear Lord this forum has it all.

You have a 11 guys on the field, same as the Carolina Panthers, just smaller, wow, it's just like the cake.

Return to “Football”