Waverly 2020

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly 2020

Post by Tommy Chong »

Waverly will roll through the conference with all that talent. I predict they topple The Pirates this year.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tommy Chong wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 am Waverly will roll through the conference with all that talent. I predict they topple The Pirates this year.
Wheelersburg is always the league favorite until somebody beats them.
Minford had them on the ropes last year and we thought we had a good chance of beating them too - that didn’t work out.
We have the Pirates coming to the jungle which is an advantage but the Tigers will have to play a mistake free game to beat em.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Zeke Brown (2021) with his 1st D1 offer from Valpo. Many many more to come.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Waverly will be the king of southern Ohio this year , too much talent and experience.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

smurray wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:45 am
Tommy Chong wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 am Waverly will roll through the conference with all that talent. I predict they topple The Pirates this year.
Minford had them on the ropes last year and we thought we had a good chance of beating them too - that didn’t work out.
We have the Pirates coming to the jungle which is an advantage but the Tigers will have to play a mistake free game to beat em.
On another thread @FalconFever02 coined the term WTSD (Wheelersburg Traumatic Stress Disease). Given the Pirates dominance in the SOC over the last 50 years it is hard to argue WTSD is not real.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Omega wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:34 pm
On another thread @FalconFever02 coined the term WTSD (Wheelersburg Traumatic Stress Disease). Given the Pirates dominance in the SOC over the last 50 years it is hard to argue WTSD is not real.
Correct , it is real and can be proven scientifically, however like was mentioned before , this is a once in a lifetime Waverly team. They will beat Wheelersburg by 14 or more.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tommy Chong wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:10 pm

Correct , it is real and can be proven scientifically, however like was mentioned before , this is a once in a lifetime Waverly team. They will beat Wheelersburg by 14 or more.
Burg is better than last year. Waverly fields practically the same team. Shanks will be healthy but they didn’t have any problem moving the ball against burg in spite of him not being 100 percent last year.

Saying Waverly is going to beat burg and rather easily this year is a very far stretch. I think Waverly definitely has the talent to do it but burg is a better team. This will be a battle.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:44 am

Burg is better than last year. Waverly fields practically the same team. Shanks will be healthy but they didn’t have any problem moving the ball against burg in spite of him not being 100 percent last year.

Saying Waverly is going to beat burg and rather easily this year is a very far stretch. I think Waverly definitely has the talent to do it but burg is a better team. This will be a battle.
shanks was a sitting duck last year, he couldn't move. If he can scramble around and run a little waverlys offense should be better

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

fbnut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:49 am

shanks was a sitting duck last year, he couldn't move. If he can scramble around and run a little waverlys offense should be better
Waverly's opener against Granville will speak volumes if the Tiger defense and depth have improved enough to win the SOC.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Absolutely. But last year Waverly moved the ball fine. Burg has a better team this year. Waverly will have to stop burg this year which they probably can if burgs QBs can’t get going.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:23 am

Absolutely. But last year Waverly moved the ball fine. Burg has a better team this year. Waverly will have to stop burg this year which they probably can if burgs QBs can’t get going.
no way burgs qbs aren't better than last year. I don't mean that as a slight against last years kids. 2 were just to young with no high school experience and the other 2 were just thrown in there out of necessity with no experience playing qb. give them time. they will be improved

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I'm interested in seeing who runs the ball for Waverly and how effective the running will be. Defense will have to be significantly better than last year to win the "BIG" games. Looks like they will get a huge test right out of the gate with a quality opponent.

I'm still concerned about tomorrow's announcement from DeWine. Sure hope the testing requirement for COVID has been adjusted or done away.
Last edited by toast on Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

toast wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:41 pm I'm interested in seeing who runs the ball for Waverly and how effective the running will be. Defense will have to be significantly better than last year to win the "BIG" games. Looks like they will get huge test right out of the gate with a quality opponent.

I'm still concerned about tomorrow's announcement from DeWine. Sure hope the testing requirement for COVID has been adjusted or done away.
pretty sure I read somewhere that testing wasn't going to be required.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

Waverly really seems to have turned the corner but will have to beat Burg to prove it. Major kudos for the week 1 game. - they will know quickly where their at as a team.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

shoelace wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:43 pm Waverly really seems to have turned the corner but will have to beat Burg to prove it. Major kudos for the week 1 game. - they will know quickly where their at as a team.
Absolutely, win or lose week 1 we’ll see where the Tigers are. Best opponent Waverly will have faced the past few years besides in the playoffs. A win will be very HUGE and show us a lot but a loss won’t be the end of the world.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

toast wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:41 pm I'm interested in seeing who runs the ball for Waverly and how effective the running will be. Defense will have to be significantly better than last year to win the "BIG" games. Looks like they will get a huge test right out of the gate with a quality opponent.

Dawson Shoemaker (younger brother of Payton), Jace Hurd, and Jaxson Poe will be the three who you may be seeing get the carries this year.

D. Shoemaker has a different running style than his older brother, he is more of a power back. He should a little of what he could do late in games last year. Very hard runner who isn’t slow by any means. He is a junior this year.

Hurd Is a freshman who is coming in from P. West. He is pretty elusive and his cuts seem to be getting sharper and more precise. He has made good progress from when he first got here. He looks good for a freshman.

Poe will be a senior. He has played running back sparingly here and there as a filler when needed throughout his career. He’s nothing fancy, but runs hard and protects the ball well.

It will be more shared carries this year among a couple of guys, It won’t be a one man show like last year. Shoemaker and Hurd I think will be the two main guys, with Poe filling in when needed. With an experience O-line, Veteran QB who is arguably the best in Southern Ohio and a top notch WR core, the running game should be good to go.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:57 pm
toast wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:41 pm I'm interested in seeing who runs the ball for Waverly and how effective the running will be. Defense will have to be significantly better than last year to win the "BIG" games. Looks like they will get a huge test right out of the gate with a quality opponent.

Dawson Shoemaker (younger brother of Payton), Jace Hurd, and Jaxson Poe will be the three who you may be seeing get the carries this year.

D. Shoemaker has a different running style than his older brother, he is more of a power back. He should a little of what he could do late in games last year. Very hard runner who isn’t slow by any means. He is a junior this year.

Hurd Is a freshman who is coming in from P. West. He is pretty elusive and his cuts seem to be getting sharper and more precise. He has made good progress from when he first got here. He looks good for a freshman.

Poe will be a senior. He has played running back sparingly here and there as a filler when needed throughout his career. He’s nothing fancy, but runs hard and protects the ball well.

It will be more shared carries this year among a couple of guys, It won’t be a one man show like last year. Shoemaker and Hurd I think will be the two main guys, with Poe filling in when needed. With an experience O-line, Veteran QB who is arguably the best in Southern Ohio and a top notch WR core, the running game should be good to go.
How long is Shoemaker going to be out. Glad to hear Hurd decided to play. Hurd is a tough hard-nosed kid.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

How do you know Wheelersburg is better this year than they were last year ?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

:x u
Tommy Chong wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:12 pm

How do you know Wheelersburg is better this year than they were last year ?
I could be wrong but Just by watching their practices I think they are better. Burg wasn’t a typical burg team last year. If they didn’t have Matthews, they could have been a 500 team easy. A lot of kids went both ways last year. They have more depth this year.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:07 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:57 pm

How long is Shoemaker going to be out. Glad to hear Hurd decided to play. Hurd is a tough hard-nosed kid.
Don’t know the severity of Shoemakers injury so hopefully rest heals.
The Hurd boy is going to be a great one by the time he is a Junior-Senior. Anxious to see him this year.
If Shoe isn’t ready by week 1 I look for Poe to get the nod with Hurd working on for some carries.

Return to “Football”