Jackson officially applies to the TVC

doubleplay643
S

Re: Jackson officially applies to the TVC

Post by doubleplay643 »

I wouldn't say we are in a panic mode yet, but the time until the SEOAL's 4th school Gallia leaves is about a year and a half away, so there is urgency given the time to provide our own notice to the SEOAL and enter a new league given the fact that many schedules (especially football) take some time to plan out and work through open dates and previous commitments. I think we have a few multi-year contracts we are in the middle of, so knowing where you were going sooner rather than later makes sense.

I would say there is 4-5 possible options with the TVC being the best then SOC, OVC, SCOL, and then a split league arrangement of some type.

TVC is best because of the travel and finding teams within the same size (assuming a grouping or divisional arrangement could be worked out for some sports).
Athens 297; Jackson 306; Logan 478; Warren 279; VC 290 are the male enrollment numbers. D2 and D3 in football except Warren and all within travel distances that they already are accustomed to driving.

SOC/OVC option is in my opinion not as favorable simply because of the size difference, and the OVC travel on a weekday night in the middle of winter is not ideal.

SCOL could work but it would need to be for football only because of the travel for all the other sports would not be doable, and we would need to find a league TVC for example for all the other sports. Athens is an associate member with the SEOAL in soccer I think, all our other sports would need a similar arrangement if that would work. The other option is to go independent in football and do the same thing as above, see if the TVC or SOC would take us in all other sports.

It is unfortunate you cannot have a conversation where you throw out ideas, without someone accusing you of trying to run or organize this or that and laughing or poking fun of a league that literally has 2,000 students eligible to play sports or participate in activities in an organized league. We are all part of SE Ohio and the proximity of the SEOAL and TVC schools and all of the KIDS is undeniable, it is unfortunate if some sort of win-win type of arrangement somehow, someway can't be found. Like I said maybe an everything but football in the TVC to start with, or some variation.

Who said what about this or that on an internet forum about so and so's program or team 4 years ago really, really is not the point.

If the goal of the public schools in SE Ohio is to advance the region academically and provide competitive extracurricular activities similar to what the MAC league has accomplished as an example then I am going to be hard pressed to understand why something can't be worked out. Lot of pieces and parts, but somehow they should fit together to promote SE Ohio.

Or, I guess people could just continue to belittle and laugh at the situation and relish the demise of 3 schools athletic programs. Which is absolutely undeniably your right to do. I will remain convinced that somewhere in all the smoke there is a win-win situation. Maybe it involves the TVC, maybe it is independent, maybe it is recruiting a Marietta or Chillicothe into the SEOAL, not sure.

Ok, you guys can go back to the sarcastic remarks about me and some of the posts regarding this now...have at it.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Jackson in the TVC for all sports but football could be the last ditch effort if something can't be worked out. In fact, I think we can all agree that football is the only reason they may not get in. So really there is no excuse not to add them for every sport but football.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas wrote:Jackson in the TVC for all sports but football could be the last ditch effort if something can't be worked out. In fact, I think we can all agree that football is the only reason they may not get in. So really there is no excuse not to add them for every sport but football.
Unfortunately Dundas, I think that is where this may be heading. Even though our last 2 seasons in football prior to this year are 5-5; 6-4 that is apparently the issue.

I respect people in the TVC not wanting to change anything, they have had a great run last couple years no doubt, so I get it. Just can't convince myself that the proximity and competition of these 3 schools wouldn't perpetuate that success and make it even better. This expansion being kicked around is not even close to that disaster the SEOAL attempted with Zanesville and Portsmouth.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I agree dp. I've said before that this expansion wouldn't add 3+ hour bus rides. In terms of just Jackson though.. its 6 miles past wellston. I'd like to see all of them come in and see what happens.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Maybe let them in on a probationary test run of 2-3 years and then re-vote. Or all sports except football and maybe football could come in later.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

goUK wrote:Maybe let them in on a probationary test run of 2-3 years and then re-vote. Or all sports except football and maybe football could come in later.
Another good idea, there are a lot of things like this that if get brought up and tossed around makes sense. Confident that somewhere in all of this there is a win-win for everyone...just don't know what it looks like yet.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

doubleplay643 wrote:
goUK wrote:Maybe let them in on a probationary test run of 2-3 years and then re-vote. Or all sports except football and maybe football could come in later.
Another good idea, there are a lot of things like this that if get brought up and tossed around makes sense. Confident that somewhere in all of this there is a win-win for everyone...just don't know what it looks like yet.
The only win-win I can see is if they only let one team in to make the Ohio an even 8, and keep everything else the same. If they bring a bunch in and start forcing people here and there the league will crumble.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Ground Buck wrote:
doubleplay643 wrote:
The only win-win I can see is if they only let one team in to make the Ohio an even 8, and keep everything else the same. If they bring a bunch in and start forcing people here and there the league will crumble.
Im not pro warren/jackson, but if you add both then one team from the ohio could drop to hocking. So 8 ohio teams, 10 hocking? 10 is a lot though

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

When will a decision be made and does Jackson have 10 games scheduled for next year?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Why should the SCOL accept Jackson for football only? Either Jackson wants to be in the league or it doesn't. You have to be completely involved in a league or not at all.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Im not pro warren/jackson, but if you add both then one team from the ohio could drop to hocking. So 8 ohio teams, 10 hocking? 10 is a lot though
But who do you drop from the Ohio to the Hocking? I am sure some of the Hocking schools don't want to play any of the Ohio schools. So you force them to do that just so Jackson and Warren have a league to play in?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Ultron wrote:They will never allow it, because the TVC does not want to be dominated by another SEOAL team. Jackson joins this league, Jackson will win 9 out of ten titles their first decade. The programs in the TVC do not match up with Jackson... on a football stand point.
Man you are wrong! The bullpuppies will win all the hardware in the TVC Ohio in all Sports for the foreseeable future! I would say the ironboy's would compete every year.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

bman wrote:Why should the SCOL accept Jackson for football only? Either Jackson wants to be in the league or it doesn't. You have to be completely involved in a league or not at all.
bman, I think the idea was to try and eliminate Jackson's football from the equation to gain acceptance. That way the majority of sports could have some continuity a league brings.

That would leave going independent in football or trying to find a league to take you for football only. The only close league that may do that is SCOL since there was some rumblings a while back about East Clinton leaving. Travel would not be an option for all of Jackson's sports in the SCOL given the distances, but it may me doable on a Friday night.

If we are independent in football we definitely will be traveling on 5-6 Friday nights, that is for sure.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

FIDO (Forget It Drive On) wrote:When will a decision be made and does Jackson have 10 games scheduled for next year?
Not sure about the timing of the next TVC meeting.

We have an open date Week 4 I believe next year (2015). In 2016 I think we have quite a few to fill up.

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

DP - The SCOL is the best fit for Jackson. Why couldn't all sports be in the league. You were okay with Ironton or Portsmouth being the SEOAL and the distances were probably pretty close to the SCOL distances. Nothing will be perfect.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Ironmen44 wrote:DP - The SCOL is the best fit for Jackson. Why couldn't all sports be in the league. You were okay with Ironton or Portsmouth being the SEOAL and the distances were probably pretty close to the SCOL distances. Nothing will be perfect.
SCOL may end up being an option, the problem is how those schools in it (EC, CM, Hillsboro, Wilmington, McClain) view us for a Tuesday night volleyball game. Will they want to travel all that way for volleyball, baseball, track, softball, basketball for the "weekday" sports. They will be the ones voting us in, and my guess is the "weekday" sports will be a problem.

Friday nights in the fall is a little different for 5 games a year assuming a split on home and away games.

Nothing will be perfect you are right, it just seems like the heartburn getting into a close league (TVC or SOC) is football, and I can understand that actually if there isn't some divisional groupings that separate like size teams.

SCOL would be a nice football league with Chillicothe, Clinton Massie, etc., but travel for everything else would be an issue I think.

Jackson to CM for example is one hour and thirty minutes. East Clinton is a little less. Miami Trace is probably what an hour or so. All of these are close to what a Warren is now or a Marietta used to be, so it isn't outside the realm of possibilities. Roads are a lot better bus trip than a drive to Ironton for sure. Question again is how do we fit in with them and are they looking for a team?

Best opportunity may be to try and recruit a Chillicothe and some body else back to the SEOAL, that is always an option to I suppose.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I was spitballing this with a poster from Jackson. Athens voted yes to expansion earlier this year. Thus putting their approval on a TVC division which grouped them with Logan, Gallia, Jackson and Warren. So with that being a fact, my question is.. what's stopping Athens from going back to the SEOAL? It would save the league and I'd say there's a 95% chance that if they did go back, Marietta would follow.

Logan
Jackson
Warren
Athens
Marietta

That would be a league where travel isn't an issue, 5 total teams is sustainable. Plus you could continue to look for another team (close by) to add. (Pburg, Point, VC etc)

Just another idea in a long list of them. Lol

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

Everyone needs to learn to play nicely in the same sandbox lol.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Dundas wrote:I was spitballing this with a poster from Jackson. Athens voted yes to expansion earlier this year. Thus putting their approval on a TVC division which grouped them with Logan, Gallia, Jackson and Warren. So with that being a fact, my question is.. what's stopping Athens from going back to the SEOAL? It would save the league and I'd say there's a 95% chance that if they did go back, Marietta would follow.

Logan
Jackson
Warren
Athens
Marietta

That would be a league where travel isn't an issue, 5 total teams is sustainable. Plus you could continue to look for another team (close by) to add. (Pburg, Point, VC etc)

for once COMMON SENCE!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas wrote:I was spitballing this with a poster from Jackson. Athens voted yes to expansion earlier this year. Thus putting their approval on a TVC division which grouped them with Logan, Gallia, Jackson and Warren. So with that being a fact, my question is.. what's stopping Athens from going back to the SEOAL? It would save the league and I'd say there's a 95% chance that if they did go back, Marietta would follow.

Logan
Jackson
Warren
Athens
Marietta

Maybe add a Chillicothe?

Return to “Football”