SEOAL Book/Documentary?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: SEOAL Book/Documentary?

Post by Raider6309 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I have no idea what list. I just know ironton had a long and storied past in the league.
Yeah, Ironton had the best football and then Chauncey Dover of the 30's to 50's. 39 straight wins and I can't remember Chauncey Dover's unbeaten streak. There's a lot of old history I wish I knew

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

loganlocos wrote:
Omega wrote:It is good we are talking about archiving the history of the SEOAL. It means we have accepted the eventual death of the venerable old league and are able to move on.
Some of us have been archiving the league WAY before the death spiral started, fwiw.

BTW - my in-laws recently moved to Seneca. Small world.
At least there are jobs down here and it is a somewhat decent place to retire, if you can overlook Lindsey Graham.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Raider6309 wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I have no idea what list. I just know ironton had a long and storied past in the league.
Yeah, Ironton had the best football and then Chauncey Dover of the 30's to 50's. 39 straight wins and I can't remember Chauncey Dover's unbeaten streak. There's a lot of old history I wish I knew
I'M LIKE YOU RAIDER. I'D LOVE TO READ ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE, HEY I'D WRITE A BOOK MYSELF IF I HAD ALL THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE LEAGUE PAST AND PRESENT.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: WHY DON'T YOU SEND ME A LINK TO IRONTON FOOTBALL.COM IN A PM.
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ACCESS IT. I HOPE ALL IS WELL N TELL THE FAMILY I SAID HEY.
We're all doing well, Bait.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071006165 ... tball.com/

There's an archive of irontonfootball.com on that link. I've saved the history part for my records.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:where is Seneca locos. that sounds familiar.
Seneca South Carolina is in the northwest corner of the state, near Clemson. just south of Lake Keowee,. Seneca is fairly close to Pickens where I believe ex Bengal head coach Sam Wyche is still a high school football coach. It is not home like southeast Ohio.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

During the SEOAL's 30th anniversary in March, 1955, at Wellston, Bill Thomas, founder, Wellston, J. Sherman Porter, Gallipolis newsman, Harry Lackey, Athens coach, teacher, and Hobart Wilson, Jr.,Gallipolis stats man were speakers. Jack Gilbert had a picture that ran in the Athens Messenger of the speakers. I got it in one of my many books in the attic.
In the fall of 1975, the league had its 50th birthday party. I think Bos Johnson of WSAZ-TV was the main speaker. Athens' Tom Metters handed out a little green book with all SEOAL sports records at the time.
Logan LocAS, if u folks produEc a new SEOAL book, I'd appreciate a copy.
PS--After 90 .years, I'm really gonna miss the SEOAL

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Omega wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:where is Seneca locos. that sounds familiar.
Seneca South Carolina is in the northwest corner of the state, near Clemson. just south of Lake Keowee,. Seneca is fairly close to Pickens where I believe ex Bengal head coach Sam Wyche is still a high school football coach. It is not home like southeast Ohio.
I was thinking there was a Seneca,ohio. if you ever get a chance to meet sam wyche tell him that tom Osborne said hi. he knows me very well.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

jottings wrote:During the SEOAL's 30th anniversary in March, 1955, at Wellston, Bill Thomas, founder, Wellston, J. Sherman Porter, Gallipolis newsman, Harry Lackey, Athens coach, teacher, and Hobart Wilson, Jr.,Gallipolis stats man were speakers. Jack Gilbert had a picture that ran in the Athens Messenger of the speakers. I got it in one of my many books in the attic.
In the fall of 1975, the league had its 50th birthday party. I think Bos Johnson of WSAZ-TV was the main speaker. Athens' Tom Metters handed out a little green book with all SEOAL sports records at the time.
Logan LocAS, if u folks produEc a new SEOAL book, I'd appreciate a copy.
PS--After 90 .years, I'm really gonna miss the SEOAL

that's awesome jottings I knew you had a wealth of information, and would be a great resource. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I would love to see a documentary made. Maybe someone should contact WOUB.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that sounds like a grand idea o n b.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Trivia Question..................and I don't know the answer, but I want to know the answer............

The SEOAL has always been called the oldest non-city league in Ohio. Now that the SEOAL will be no more, what current league will hold the title of oldest non-city league in Ohio?

In other words, what league is currently the second oldest non-city league in Ohio that will inherit the title of oldest non-city league in 2017?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Trivia Question..................and I don't know the answer, but I want to know the answer............

The SEOAL has always been called the oldest non-city league in Ohio. Now that the SEOAL will be no more, what current league will hold the title of oldest non-city league in Ohio?

In other words, what league is currently the second oldest non-city league in Ohio that will inherit the title of oldest non-city league in 2017?
Northwest Ohio Athletic League 1926.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Looks like the NWOAL already considers itself the oldest in the state according to Wikipedia.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest ... tic_League

The Northwest Ohio Athletic League (NWOAL) is a high school sports league in the state of Ohio. Beginning in 1926, it is officially the oldest league in the state.

And even the conference logo on the conference page says "Ohio's Oldest"

http://nwoal.org/football

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If every school that was ever in the SEOAL remained in the SEOAL, you could have had this two division lineup:

SEOAL Big School
Athens
Chillicothe
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Logan
Marietta
Point Pleasant
Warren
Zanesville

SEOAL Small School
Ironton
Meigs
Nelsonville-York
New Boston Glenwood
Portsmouth
River Valley
Waverly
Wellston

With 17 all-time schools post-consolidation, the big school division would have had one more team than the small school division. Or you could assume that there would have been no need to add an outlier school such as Zanesville, and made it two 8 team divisions. Given that teams were added and moved on over time, it would have been nearly impossible for this exact lineup to ever happen.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

NYBuckeye96 wrote:If every school that was ever in the SEOAL remained in the SEOAL, you could have had this two division lineup:

SEOAL Big School
Athens
Chillicothe
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Logan
Marietta
Point Pleasant
Warren
Zanesville

SEOAL Small School
Ironton
Meigs
Nelsonville-York
New Boston Glenwood
Portsmouth
River Valley
Waverly
Wellston

With 17 all-time schools post-consolidation, the big school division would have had one more team than the small school division. Or you could assume that there would have been no need to add an outlier school such as Zanesville, and made it two 8 team divisions. Given that teams were added and moved on over time, it would have been nearly impossible for this exact lineup to ever happen.
that's purty dang cool right there.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I knew em all except new boston.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

are we talking the new boston by Portsmouth.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:are we talking the new boston by Portsmouth.
Yes.

New Boston Glenwood HS. The Tigers.

In the SEOAL from 1926-1936.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I had no idea. I knew all the others.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:If every school that was ever in the SEOAL remained in the SEOAL, you could have had this two division lineup:

SEOAL Big School
Athens
Chillicothe
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Logan
Marietta
Point Pleasant
Warren
Zanesville

SEOAL Small School
Ironton
Meigs
Nelsonville-York
New Boston Glenwood
Portsmouth
River Valley
Waverly
Wellston

I think when looking at the schools here, I think you're better off dropping New Boston with them being as small as they are (less than a third the size of Ironton or Nelsonville) and that they no longer have football anymore (Back in the 1920-40s), and then you can move Gallia Academy down to the small school division. That way the big school division is D2 and D3 while the small school division is all D4 and D5. Travel would be rough being spread out so far, but it definitely would be an interesting league if this was to ever happen.

Return to “Football”