Portsmouth 2023 what to expect?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: Portsmouth 2023 what to expect?

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:51 pm My thoughts on the scrimmage tonight against Northwest & River Valley. Only stayed for the Varsity.

-Started out slow, NW won the first set 7-0. Portsmouth run defense was quite good, pass defense needs work. NW scored on a long pass play. Second set against NW I believe was 7-0 Portsmouth. Few nice runs by Johnson & Copley as well.

-Started out slow against RV but moved the ball a bit more, ended 0-0 I believe. Next set against RV was much better, believe it was 14-0 Portsmouth. Chase Heiland seems to be the offense, Cam Williams did what he could at QB.

-Lot to work on over the next 2 weeks. Feel okay about the run defense, but pass defense needs work. QB needs more reps, running the ball didn’t come easy, especially up the middle. Toss sweeps worked at times, that’s how Heiland scored on one. Jamboree against Waverly should give a better feel for the guys we will see and what positions they’ll be in. Lot of bodies in and out tonight. Team will look different and I assume better when JT Williams returns. He played some snaps on defense but had a massive club on his hand.
The secondary might not be that bad once some guys return. Malone is a good athlete he’s just short, he later made a good play at safety, and he had a nice catch on offense. Younger Williams doesn’t have a big arm yet, but I think he could be really good by the time he’s a Junior. Will likely get some very meaningful reps this year and position himself as the guy going into next season…..looking forward to getting up to Waverly on Friday.

Return to “Football”